You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Slash album reviews

Sky Dog wrote:

Matt shouldn't EVER be brought in to the equation...he was a hired hand just like the 18 other drummers since him. No casual fan associates Matt Sorum with Gnr.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
war wrote:

another nosensical deabte of old vs. new

do you guys really think that if slash mantained the gnr name and axl went solo that slash's gnr would be doing equal or better in terms of touring?

Absolutely - as long as they had a singer that could sing the songs, there would be little to no difference.  To suggest otherwise is foolish at best and every bit as much speculation as claiming there would be a difference.  You don't know, you just think you know. 

Slash did pretty well for himself without the band name to draw people.  If Axl would have put half of the effort into promoting his work as Slash does, THEN you MIGHT be able to make that claim.  As it stands, I think you can make a case that with a Myles type singer (see the SCOM and Civil War videos) and the effort Slash would have done to promote it, I think he could have made a MORE successful version of GnR with Duff and Matt.  I can't prove this anymore than you can prove your case, but there is some merit to it.

I will agree with you on one point though: the new band is the Axl Rose show.  Few will argue against that.

"Absolutely" followed by an "if" that can't happen - NICE.

axl's voice is much more difficult to replicate than slash's guitar in a gnr song.

despite slash being mr. nice guy that everbody loves
axl is a bigger draw - IMO

slash did well for himself, yes, but you speak as if he did not benefit close-to as much if not as much from the gnr name as axl did. it's not like vr gained any popularity from the ground up. everybody knew it was gnr minus axl and everybody knew slash from gnr. furthermore, vr was a cross of gnr and stone temple pilots - that's twice the star power that axl has currently but not twice the popularity.

performers of axl's magnitude don't come around very often. that is why gnr still draws blood.

No, I cannot prove slash's gnr would do less unless it were to happen but the evidence we DO have suggests it.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
TheMole wrote:

@Naltav: There's two different meanings to selling out that you can object to. I'm not too fond of an artist throwing away their artistic integrity myself, if that means that said artist only or mainly puts out unlistenable crap that is designed to attack the charts without being based on something the artist actually likes. I'm against artists performing/writing/releasing songs they don't actually like or can get behind.
(although things are slightly different in a band situation obviously. I don't really think Slash was selling out when he played SCOM live all those years, despite him not liking the song.) For instance, Robbie Williams doing boyband-type stuff in Take That when he was in fact mocking the music, I would consider that selling out and no sir, I don't like it. I don't know for sure, but I don't think you can say Slash has ever done anything like that. Yes, this means that I think he actually likes Blackstreet & Cypres Hill.

Good points!

TheMole wrote:

However, earning money by doing cheesy commercials to cash in on the image and respect that you've built up over the years, leveraging your artistry to make a (very decent) living, ... that I don't have a problem with. As a matter of fact, I'd be inclined to think you're a dumb ass motherfucker if you don't do those things. That'd be like stumbling upon a beautiful vineyard filled with the juiciest grapes and not eating some 'cause that's not what you set out to do in the first place... (excuse the odd analogy, this one might work better in my native language wink ).

Either way, if VW commercials and silly Guitar Hero/Bill Gates appearances help him foot the bill for things like his solo album (or a new car, Malibu house or whatever,... ), I'm all for it!

I disagree. In my view, those kinds of activities will tarnish your name.

So going by your logic, if Jimmy Hendrix were alive today and did TV-ads for CocaCola, Taco Bell, Volkswagen and had Britney Spears on his latest album as a guest vocalist, he would still be a shining star on "guitarheaven"?

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:
Naltav wrote:

So going by your logic, if Jimmy Hendrix were alive today and did TV-ads for CocaCola, Taco Bell, Volkswagen and had Britney Spears on his latest album as a guest vocalist, he would still be a shining star on "guitarheaven"?

It's not the 1960s anymore.

Naltav

Naltav wrote:
Gong wrote:
Naltav wrote:

It's not the 1960s anymore.

Not sure I'm following you...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
madagas wrote:

Matt shouldn't EVER be brought in to the equation...he was a hired hand just like the 18 other drummers since him. No casual fan associates Matt Sorum with Gnr.

I think the same could be said for Steven Adler. I like Frank, but I think "GN'R drummer" has been the most insignificant position in the band since it's inception.

It's always been about the singer and the guitarist, and frankly, considering the fact Axl can still still do stadiums outside of the US... I guess it was always just about the singer.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Naltav wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I wish I had the quote but I think that Rogers Stevens of Blind Melon said it best back when people called the Hoon-less reunion of Melon a sell out. His point was, of course it's a sell out. You're doing it to make money. There's no degree of acceptable commercialization - either you're in it for the money or you're not.

I think what he said was "if we weren't sell outs we would just play music in our houses. the act of touring is selling out, recording an album on a label is selling out, anything where you make money is selling out".

It's a business. You're in it to make money.

I've never heard about the Hoon-less reunion.

Just because Roger Stevens thinks that way, doesn't mean every artist that does music is in it to make money.

I have plenty of friends here in Norway who has released a lot of albums and toured all over Norway, Europe and even Mexico. Neither of them made a profit. They make just enough to cover their costs and make up for the time they had to take off their dayjobs to be able to do what they love.

And didn't Tom Zutaut say Axl is the only artist he ever worked with who truly didn't care about money?

Axl and Slash seems to have different values when it comes to certain things. And I know which I prefer....  smile

The thing about him saying that is that he isn't saying "we're selling out" he's saying "everyone that lives off their music is selling out" or even broader, "selling out is a meaningless term."

Just because your friends aren't talented enough to draw a large enough following to profit from doesn't make them 'true artists'. It makes them 'unsuccessful'. If they had thousands of people willing to pay them, and specifically them, for albums or concerts, they would take that deal. The fact that they took money to cover their expenses is "selling out" in a way. If you want to make a distinction between "music that makes money" and "music to make money" then go right ahead, but it's more trouble than it's worth.

How do they judge their success as artists? If they play a gig to 3 people and they think they sound good, do they call it a success? Or does crowd response influence their opinion of themselves? If it does, then using personal profit as a way to discredit an artist is ridiculous.

If you really don't care what anybody else thinks of your art, then congratulations, I'll be over here participating in an ever present economy like everyone else that isn't Shoenberg.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I would give my left nut to sell out. Actually, I've got three kids, I'd give both nuts to be able to sell out.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't really understand, in a capitalist venture, why there's some sort of stigma of "selling out".

"If you do something good, never do it for free" - The Joker

Naltav

Naltav wrote:
Communist China wrote:
Naltav wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I wish I had the quote but I think that Rogers Stevens of Blind Melon said it best back when people called the Hoon-less reunion of Melon a sell out. His point was, of course it's a sell out. You're doing it to make money. There's no degree of acceptable commercialization - either you're in it for the money or you're not.

I think what he said was "if we weren't sell outs we would just play music in our houses. the act of touring is selling out, recording an album on a label is selling out, anything where you make money is selling out".

It's a business. You're in it to make money.

I've never heard about the Hoon-less reunion.

Just because Roger Stevens thinks that way, doesn't mean every artist that does music is in it to make money.

I have plenty of friends here in Norway who has released a lot of albums and toured all over Norway, Europe and even Mexico. Neither of them made a profit. They make just enough to cover their costs and make up for the time they had to take off their dayjobs to be able to do what they love.

And didn't Tom Zutaut say Axl is the only artist he ever worked with who truly didn't care about money?

Axl and Slash seems to have different values when it comes to certain things. And I know which I prefer....  smile

The thing about him saying that is that he isn't saying "we're selling out" he's saying "everyone that lives off their music is selling out" or even broader, "selling out is a meaningless term."

Just because your friends aren't talented enough to draw a large enough following to profit from doesn't make them 'true artists'. It makes them 'unsuccessful'. If they had thousands of people willing to pay them, and specifically them, for albums or concerts, they would take that deal. The fact that they took money to cover their expenses is "selling out" in a way. If you want to make a distinction between "music that makes money" and "music to make money" then go right ahead, but it's more trouble than it's worth.

How do they judge their success as artists? If they play a gig to 3 people and they think they sound good, do they call it a success? Or does crowd response influence their opinion of themselves? If it does, then using personal profit as a way to discredit an artist is ridiculous.

If you really don't care what anybody else thinks of your art, then congratulations, I'll be over here participating in an ever present economy like everyone else that isn't Shoenberg.

We truley have different views on the term "selling out"....

Board footer