You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: Slash album reviews

Saikin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I don't really understand, in a capitalist venture, why there's some sort of stigma of "selling out".

"If you do something good, never do it for free" - The Joker

Which is why prostitutes are the smartest people on the face of the planet in terms of business venture.

(that me be an over-exaggeration..) 16

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

A Slash lead GNR would have been on the level of a Snakepit album, with lame throwback songs, with multiple throw away singers and he'd be touring with Poison and opening for Motley Crue and he wouldn't be the least bit ashamed of it.

GNR is STILL headlining festivals with major, current bands, had a Rockband VG for Chinese Democracy, which still sold well and was very well received. None of Slash's music post GNR has showed me any evidence that it would be near the same if he had the name. But we'd probably have like ten really awful GNR albums in the time it took Axl to make Chinese Democracy.

GNR is Axl. And it seems the band name means more to him than it probably does to anyone else on the planet. That's probably the main reason (at least I believe anyway) why he still has the name. It's probably always been "his" band in his mind. It probably represents who Axl is as an artist. I just don't buy he's just doing it for the money.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
madagas wrote:

Matt shouldn't EVER be brought in to the equation...he was a hired hand just like the 18 other drummers since him. No casual fan associates Matt Sorum with Gnr.

I think the same could be said for Steven Adler. I like Frank, but I think "GN'R drummer" has been the most insignificant position in the band since it's inception.

It's always been about the singer and the guitarist, and frankly, considering the fact Axl can still still do stadiums outside of the US... I guess it was always just about the singer.

If Axl had the balls to continue as a solo artist, he would be playing is clubs. The Guns N' Roses name is very strong and still sells, that's why 'he's not interested in money and fame' Axl fought so hard to get it.

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:

CD Review: Slash

BY ERIC ANDERSEN
http://www.dailyiowan.com/2010/04/06/Arts/16545.html

Slash'™s curly black hair, top hat, sunglasses, and dangling cigarette are as much a part of the guitarist'™s trademark as the riffs on 'Sweet Child o'™ Mine,'  'Welcome to the Jungle,'  or any other Guns '™N'™ Roses hit.

However, no one can say he has let all the fame get to his head. Slash has always been an honest guitar player, one who relies more on emotion than fancy pyrotechnics. This is part of the reason his playing on the latest solo album, Slash, works so well, perfectly complementing the guest vocalists and musicians he invites to perform over his spicy rock '™n'™ roll licks.

Almost every song on the album '” from the crunchy opener 'Ghost,'  featuring the Cult'™s Ian Astbury (vocals) and former Guns '™N'™ Roses guitarist Izzy Stradlin, to 'I Hold On,'  which is led by a vocal performance from Kid Rock '” flows better than the listener might expect.

Even artists who can be grating on the ears in their respective bands (such as Avenged Sevenfold'™s M. Shadows) seem to benefit from the songwriting ability Slash brings to each track.

Most surprising of all is 'Beautiful Dangerous,'  which includes lyrical contributions from Fergie of Black Eyed Peas fame. Longtime Guns '™N'™ Roses fans may cry 'sellout,'  but the pop star almost eerily channels her inner Axl Rose to make a fun, classic rock track.

Then there are, of course, 'the natural fits,'  the musicians that you just expect to work. Ozzy Osbourne sings catchy vocals over the track 'Crucify the Dead.'  Motorhead'™s Lemmy Kilmister successfully lends his trademark Jack Daniel'™s-soaked voice to the rocker 'Doctor Alibi.'  And Iggy Pop adds some rock '™n'™ roll excess to 'We'™re All Gonna Die,'  chanting, 'We'™re all gonna die, so let'™s get high,'  during the song'™s chorus.

Of course, this is Slash'™s album, and his presence is felt throughout. Solid songwriting and emotional blues-based playing have always been the Les Paul wielding guitarist'™s strong point, and he does not disappoint listeners anywhere on the album.

'Watch This'  is an instrumental track that showcases the guitarist'™s groove and jamming ability alongside the Foo Fighters'™ Dave Grohl (drums) and former Guns '™N'™ Roses bassist Duff McKagan.

It'™s really the only time Slash shows off on the album, and he still brings friends along for the ride.

Alter Bridge vocalist Myles Kennedy, who sings on two of the album'™s tracks and will handle vocal duties on the upcoming shows for the album, offers what is probably the most forgettable performance of the bunch. Despite this, the musician'™s work affirms that he has the singing ability to hold his own onstage.

Slash proves on his latest release that he can still write some mean licks, with a sense of style that outdoes most guitar players, young or old. Most importantly of all, Slash delivers pure, old school rock '™n'™ roll at its best

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

A Slash lead GNR would have been on the level of a Snakepit album, with lame throwback songs, with multiple throw away singers and he'd be touring with Poison and opening for Motley Crue and he wouldn't be the least bit ashamed of it.

GNR is STILL headlining festivals with major, current bands, had a Rockband VG for their Chinese Democracy, which still sold well and was very well received. None of Slash's music post GNR has showed me any evidence that it would be near the same if he had the name. But we'd probably have like ten really awful GNR albums in the time it took Axl to make Chinese Democracy.

How many people do you think go to see GnR because of CD?  Cut whatever imaginary number you have by 90% and you're probably close.  People are going to see the classics.  That is an undeniable fact that people just can't seem to accept.  They don't really care who is playing (or singing) them.  They will hear those same songs regardless of who is in and who is out.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Where did I say people were coming to see them because of CD? You can't seem to get over the fact that not as many people as you'd like to think actually give a shit that Slash isn't there.

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:

Just compare the attendance numbers of 1993 and 2002,2006,2010 and you'll see the difference. A lot of people know it's a replacement band, so they choose to stay home. Others see the name and it confuses them (or don't care who's there, just wanna hear the classics), so they go.

Some dozens go to hear the CD songs.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

GNR is STILL headlining festivals with major, current bands, had a Rockband VG for their Chinese Democracy, which still sold well and was very well received. None of Slash's music post GNR has showed me any evidence that it would be near the same if he had the name. But we'd probably have like ten really awful GNR albums in the time it took Axl to make Chinese Democracy.

How many people do you think go to see GnR because of CD?  Cut whatever imaginary number you have by 90% and you're probably close.  People are going to see the classics.  That is an undeniable fact that people just can't seem to accept.  They don't really care who is playing (or singing) them.  They will hear those same songs regardless of who is in and who is out.

50% true.... The majority don't go to hear the new songs live. But the majority also know who is long gone!

C'mon man! Most people do care who is singing! They just don't know or care who plays the guitar, bass etc etc! 10 years of on and off touring proves you wrong, buzzaw!

Sky Dog wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

in short, people will still pay good money to hear Axl Rose sing Guns N' Roses songs. Obviously, the large majority are there for the classics. My personal opinion is that more people will pay to hear Axl sing the classics than would pay to hear Slash play them. hmm

misterID

misterID wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Just compare the attendance numbers of 1993 and 2002,2006,2010 and you'll see the difference. A lot of people know it's a replacement band, so they choose to stay home. Others see the name and it confuses them (or don't care who's there, just wanna hear the classics), so they go.

Some dozens go to hear the CD songs.

I totally knew this post was coming from you. You are priceless.

Board footer