You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Slash album reviews

misterID wrote:

I'm no Linkin Park fan, but I would be really interested in what Chester would bring to a Slash album. Not to mention Perry Ferrell. Jerry Cantrell. Lenny Kravitz. Billy Corgan. How about Shooter Jennings? He'd be a perfect fit on some of those songs. And I'm definitely in the minority here, but I'd love to hear Royston (Spacehog guy) play on a track. And what about Robert fucking Plant? How bad ass would By The Sword be then? And I'd definitely take him over Ozzy any day. Perhaps, Bob Dylan? Johnny Rotten? Mick Jagger? The kid from The Strokes? Go out on a limb and get Robert Smith.

And I would LOVE to hear Shirley Manson and Slash.

That's it, I'm producing the next Slash album.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Ghost and some solos sound like GN'R, and Watch This could have been the younger brother of Locomotive.
People often confuse the singer with the band, therefore anything Cornell sings is Soundgarden or Audioslave, while every song with Astbury is Cult.

Really?

I Hold On, if you've heard any Kid Rock's recent stuff, sounds like a song off of any one of those albums.

You can't say that Nothing to Say doesn't seem kinda like an Avenged Sevenfold song featuring Slash. 

And Gotten?  roll

To me, Promise doesn't sound like either Soundgarden or Audioslave or his solo work.  And I'm a huge fan of all three. 

Watch This is a rip-off of A Looking in View by Alice In Chains.  Still the best song off the album I think.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Slash chose the singers whose style suited the actual song. Had he done the opposite, soem here would be crying that Ozzy shouldn't rap and that Adam Levine sounds like shit @ Nothing To Say.

The funny thing is that the anti-Slash people now attack Slash that this song sounds like this or that (insert the actual singer's band's name) and that it's 'too radio friendly', while forget about their previous attacks  that 'Slash can't write a hit' and 'plays in the same style, the same song'. I guess you'll always find something not to like Slash's album.

BTW
I Hold On could have been Steven Tyler, and you'd say it sounds like a modern day Aerosmith tune. Maroon 5's stuff is quite different from Gotten, just the singer is the same. Watch This has nothing to do with AIC, a Deftones mention would make a better argument.

(I don't know Avenged Sevenfold enough.)

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:

Slash'™s 1st solo CD tears onto music scene with friends'™ help

New release from Guns N'™ Roses star succeeds with fan-pleasing collaborations

By Sarah Witman
http://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2010/04 … o_cd_t.php

Former lead guitarist Slash is setting a different standard of rock with his self-titled album, and although it is by no means time to forget the '™80s Guns N'™ Roses regime (as the question of 'The Spaghetti Incident?��  still remains unanswered), he has brought together a fairly solid group of vocalists to parallel his electric strumming, including Kid Rock, Fergie and Iggy Pop.

Alright, Slash fans. Don'™t jump the gun (or rose) to judge the collaboration with Fergie. Coming in on 'Beautiful Dangerous,��  Fergie adds to the song the same unique female element of explosive vocals and womanly attitude that has allowed the Black Eyed Peas to continue 'rockin'™ dem beats��  without refute all these years, and doing so with a talent that can only be described as Fergalicious. And although 'Slashalicious��  would really drag on the articulation of a similar title, the guitarist definitely holds his own in this song as well. 'Beautiful Dangerous��  is an illustration of pop-rock in its rawest possible form, and its seamless blend of Fergie'™s seductive pipes with an amp-blasting Gibson Les Paul could very well cause die-hard head bangers'™ 'London Bridges��  to fall down (whatever that means).

What really makes this collaboration work is that Fergie did not approach 'Beautiful Dangerous��  with a pop star mentality, nor did Slash attempt to outdo his guest vocalist with overpowering dosages of mid-song solo ballads. The same symmetry goes for the other contemporary pop artist, Adam Levine from Maroon 5, whose song 'Gotten��  is a pleasant midway point for the album. Indie artist Rocco DeLuca'™s 'Saint is a Sinner Too��  also brings a vital softness to the end of the album, perhaps stomped on by Iggy Pop'™s crude 'We'™re All Gonna Die.��

Coming from someone rumored to have bitten the head off a pigeon, or some say a bat, Ozzy Osbourne'™s blandly morbid 'Crucify the Dead��  could have been a dead-ringer for the Slash album. Yet perhaps it gives some relevance to such a collaboration-reliant album that might otherwise be cast aside by those looking for something a little more serious.

While Myles Kennedy'™s singing about fame and urbanity in 'Back From Cali��  is sure to blow listeners away, he has done surprisingly little work with big name bands previous to this, opting for smaller, alternative gigs. Hopefully his stellar performance will spark something to share his hungry, emotional vocals with a wider audience. On the opposite end of the celebrity spectrum, Chris Cornell is a name that a mainstream listener might not fully recognize, yet he has a vast repertoire; his voice in 'Promise��  is unmistakably the talent of Soundgarden and Audioslave fame.

Andrew Stockdale from Wolfmother is another one to get excited about on this album. Wolfmother'™s successful song 'Woman��  was performed with Slash'™s band and, as if to return the favor, the Australian/British singer'™s work on 'By the Sword��  is wonderful, taking nothing for granted and leaving only awe behind.

Although some of the artists seem to be collaborating with Slash simply because of guitar work he has done with them in the past, few of them seem out of place on the album, and talent is present throughout. If Slash'™s solo work continues to be as promising as it is on Slash, listeners may very well feel more comfortable in welcoming him to the jungle of post-GNR life.

3 1/2 stars out of 5.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Slash chose the singers whose style suited the actual song. Had he done the opposite, soem here would be crying that Ozzy shouldn't rap and that Adam Levine sounds like shit @ Nothing To Say.

The funny thing is that the anti-Slash people now attack Slash that this song sounds like this or that (insert the actual singer's band's name) and that it's 'too radio friendly', while forget about their previous attacks  that 'Slash can't write a hit' and 'plays in the same style, the same song'. I guess you'll always find something not to like Slash's album.

BTW
I Hold On could have been Steven Tyler, and you'd say it sounds like a modern day Aerosmith tune. Maroon 5's stuff is quite different from Gotten, just the singer is the same. Watch This has nothing to do with AIC, a Deftones mention would make a better argument.

(I don't know Avenged Sevenfold enough.)

Have you listened to A Looking in View?  The intro riff and the second riff sound VERY similar to AIC's A Looking in View.

I am not anti-Slash.  He's one of my favorite guitar players.  That doesn't mean I have to praise him every time he takes a shit.  If he puts out something I don't like, that's my opinion.  It doesn't make me anti-Slash. 

BTW, I have found stuff to not like on Chinese Democracy as well even though Axl is one of my favorite singers.

BTW, there are Soundgarden songs I'm not too fond of even though they are one of my all time favorite bands. 

BTW, I don't like some of Cornell's solo work even though he's my favorite singer.

It doesn't make me anti any of those people.  roll

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Have you listened to A Looking in View?  The intro riff and the second riff sound VERY similar to AIC's A Looking in View.

I don't know what you're hearing in the AIC song that sounds similar, but this is the exact same riff in a Deftones song.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Not the "exact" riff....  Similar.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, it's not exactly the same, but it's closer than anything in the AIC song (which is a great song btw)

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:

CD REVIEW: Slash'™s appetite for diversity
by Kevin Krieger
Weekender Correspondent

http://www.theweekender.com/music/Slash … -2010.html

By using different vocalists for each track on his first solo album, former Guns N'™ Roses guitarist Slash could have ended up with a scattered, directionless mess. But the result on the new CD that bears his name is a diverse, sometimes brilliant collection that debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard Top 200.

After assembling an eclectic cast of characters to support his instantly recognizable killer tone, Slash (real name Saul Hudson) shows a musical range that'™s surprising and satisfying at the same time. The guy in the top hat may have taken a huge gamble by allowing each vocalist to write their own melodies and lyrics, but it appears to have paid off. 'Doctor Alibi��  is the ideal vehicle for Motorhead'™s Lemmy Kilmeister, while Black Eyed Pea Fergie proves she can hang with the rock chicks on 'Beautiful Dangerous.��  Even Ozzy Osbourne finds the perfect home on 'Crucify The Dead.��

With The Cult'™s Ian Astbury handling vocals on 'Ghost,��  the song is easily the most GNR-like track on the CD. It'™s also the only song that features another guitarist '” who else but former Guns bandmate Izzy Stradlin. From Chris Cornell ('Promise�� ), to Kid Rock ('I Hold On�� ) to upstart Rocco DeLuca ('Saint Is A Sinner, Too,��  the album'™s only pure ballad), the CD successfully switches gears on every track. Punk godfather Iggy Pop gets the last word on 'We'™re All Gonna Die,��  with lyrics that stretch between two generations of rule-breakers: 'We'™re all gonna die/ So let'™s get high/ I'™m in the mood/ So let'™s interlude/ Pee on the ground and jump around.��

But with all the high-octane talent on 'Slash,��  only one vocalist survived the cut to be part of the touring unit that will take the album out on the road this summer. Alter Bridge'™s Myles Kennedy turns in a stellar performance on the slow-building 'Starlight,��  proving how he earned the opportunity to work with Jimmy Page after Led Zeppelin'™s 2007 reunion.

There'™s little room for improvement on a CD that the usually hard-to-please U.K. magazine Classic Rock calls 'the first great hard rock album of the decade.��  By viewing the world through newly sober eyes (sober by his definition), Slash has apparently turned a career that started out as an 'Appetite For Destruction��  into an appetite for diversity.

Rating: W W W W 1/2

Diaboł
 Rep: 0 

Diaboł wrote:

Hi!

Maybe I'm too demanding but this is the best rock album I have heard in last 10 years. After 3 days of listening I can hum 90% of the songs. That doesn't really happen often. Best music since UYI.

Board footer