You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Slash album reviews

monkeychow wrote:

^ Yeah agree, I was thinking the solos are a lot more tehcnical than in the past too. That one in the lemmy song I was talking about above, it's pretty impressive. Can't wait to see some of this shit live on the tour.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

^ Yeah agree, I was thinking the solos are a lot more tehcnical than in the past too. That one in the lemmy song I was talking about above, it's pretty impressive. Can't wait to see some of this shit live on the tour.

The tour will be fucking amazing. Myles Kennedy and Slash. Baby pleeeeeassseeee. I'm gona explode

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Slash has a back catalog of music from being with the greatest rock band ever in GN'R, so anything he does is gonna be judged against that, so that makes it a bit unfair on him.

This album is good and on some songs he really shines, but honestly, I was expecting more, like a REAL showcase of Slash's ability.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Maybe Slash needed someone like Rick Rubin to help him set the bar higher, kinda like he did with Metallica on Death Magnetic. Show him how great he was in the past, and try to get him to outdo himself.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

AltSounds.com

The Rocco De Luca song is most definitely the most forgettable song I have heard and I'm finding it a struggle to even concentrate whilst listening, given the odd musical styles on offer.
http://hangout.altsounds.com/reviews/11 … album.html

Thats the proof that this fool doesn't have a clue what he's talking about

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

AltSounds.com

The Rocco De Luca song is most definitely the most forgettable song I have heard and I'm finding it a struggle to even concentrate whilst listening, given the odd musical styles on offer.
http://hangout.altsounds.com/reviews/11 … album.html

Thats the proof that this fool doesn't have a clue what he's talking about

Based on the 30 seconds I've heard, you are absolutely right.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

a mixed bag for me so far...

can't help feeling that Slash's post-Guns output (this album for the most part included) has a very dated feel that fails to reconnect with the timelessness of Slash's playing achieved in GNR.

Much of this album relies on cliches that  were starting to feel tired in the 90's

in fairness however, there are some stomping songs here - Ghost impresses as does Saint is a Sinner too in particularly. It's nice to hear Slash reach beyond his comfort zone on that track because all too often he sounds like he's just going through the motions on this record - sure there is some impressive playing, but often it sounds like Slash is playing it safe.

The production to me is a tad too slick. This is part of the problem - i'd have preferred something that left a little rawness round the edges.

Andrew Stockdales track is the vocal highlight for me and surely this guy would be the perfect fit for VR? I shudder when I hear this Myles Kennedy 80's cock-rock throwback being bandied about as a possibility. Never does Slash sound less relevant than the songs with him.

Other good tracks are the Cornell and Fergie ones as well as Watch this Dave where Slash and co. genuinely muster a sound akin to being  on the edge - an all too infrequent offering on this outing for me however.

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:

I really really don't like the song with M Shadows, Nothing to Say. As a huge fan of metal, to me it sounds like just what it is, a hard rock guitarist playing a metal song. I know Slashites who don't listen to a lot of metal will swallow it up too. It would be like me learning up and playing within the style of jazz, then showing it to all my friends and them loving it. I'd then let a real jazz fan listen, and though I may be playing within the style guidelines, they could point out that I'm not a real jazz guitarist.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

I couldn't disagree more.  Nothing To Say is actually a great metal track, the only thing I can really complain about is the leads sound a little thin, but the playing itself is kick ass.

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:

I dunno, the minor second in the main riff and the 16th notes during the verse all sound like they were directly lifted from the metal-by-numbers handbook. And you're right, the lead fills with the fender tweed-ish gain is completely out of place.

Board footer