You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: Slash album reviews

I don't know exactly what type of advertising you guys wanted for ChiDem. How are albums advertised? I saw a TV commercial or two for it, and even that is incredibly rare. A music video or tour in the US is the only thing I can think of, and I don't think either lead to sales so much as illegal downloads (which is still worth something I guess).

CD failed, Slash probably will fail unless some other single blows up.

Look at modern pop and modern rock and tell me where the GnR influence is. What popular band that wasn't popular ten years ago can claim GnR as a major influence? None that I'm aware of, maybe A7X or Buckcherry, but neither of those groups are huge. That should be a hint that Guns isn't so relevant. As for the guests on this album, they've all done better work previously (from what I've heard - haven't listened to the full album yet).

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

CD went platinum. That's not a failure.

I saw a bunch of BB commercials on youtube. They weren't all over the place. But the lack promo had just as much to do with Axl as it did BB. Not laying the blame, just stating what went down.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

misterID wrote:

CD went platinum. That's not a failure.

Call me American-centric, but I don't give a shit about worldwide sales. In the US, it debuted at #3 and sold 600,000 in the US (to the best of my knowledge, I may be wrong). I call that a failure for an album that cost over 10 mil and a decade to make.

Arguing sales is stupid, but there's no way you can claim that ChiDem was anywhere near as successful as the band, fans, media, or record company thought it was going to be.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

They played the complete album "Chinese Democracy" in its intirety in every medium to large market in the united states.  When was the last time that happened?  And the Dr. Pepper thing was huge news.  EVERYONE NEW THAT ALBUM WAS COMING OUT.  EVERYONE.  Not many people know of the Slash album, but those that do want it.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I haven't bought or listened to the whole album yet, but I apologize for all the comparisons I made to the old band when CD came out.  Only now do I see how completely unfair and unrealistic any comparison is.

No matter how good this album is, it will never top what GnR was for me because GnR was more than just the music to me.  It was a time and place in my life.  It was an experience.  Nothing can ever top it for me regardless of how good it is - this album included.  If I like most of the songs, I'll consider it a win.  If I like one song as much as I like TWAT, I'll be amazed.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Well CC, I don't really give a shit what you measure success by. 600,000 was a lot. It sold 2-3 million all together. But of course people outside the US don't count. They're not really people who's opinions matter.

You can call it whatever you want. Knock yourself out. I remember everyone saying the album would bomb or never come out. It came out, it sold well, there you go.

And Slash has a very good chance of having a hit album.

Smoking Guns wrote:

They played the complete album "Chinese Democracy" in its intirety in every medium to large market in the united states.  When was the last time that happened?  And the Dr. Pepper thing was huge news.  EVERYONE NEW THAT ALBUM WAS COMING OUT.  EVERYONE.  Not many people know of the Slash album, but those that do want it.

And it was streamed entirely on Myspace. And it went platinum. Yay!

And CD was far from the only album that was played all the way through on major radio stations. Where have you been?

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
misterID wrote:

I love how whatever Axl does is a failure. CD going platinum and the excuse was that all the sales came from internet fanboys who bought multiple copies was my favorite of all the excuses...

Yeah, you hate Axl carried on the name without any of the other guys and you'll never get over it... Have fun.

CD sold well despite hardly any advertising and being sold in one store chain. Slash's album will be everywhere and he's going to pimp the shit out of it. The difference is, I hope Slash's album sells well and I won't come up with a lame reason why it does or doesn't. I think his album blows. Others don't. Who cares?

now u are just spinning

i haven't heard one person say CD was a failure in this thread

it was an axlite starting shit on how CD debuted higher than By The Sword.

so facts were stated to give a good example of why

that is in no way taking anything away from CD the album, but trying to shed a little light on why I don't agree.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Fucking excuse me, by no measure am I an Axlite. Axl is a dick, doesn't appreciate what we as fans have GIVEN him, ruined the best chance for NuGNR to succeed by running off Brain and Bucket, CD is a mess, self-indulgent and doesn't measure up to GNR standards. He's not even the best on CD; he's the weak link.

You clearly don't know what the fuck you are talking about when it comes to where I stand.

So try another insult instead to make yourself feel like a man.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

You guys need to pull your heads out of your asses.  This is fucking embarrassing.  We are arguing over Slash's album vs CD and people are offering up whatever 'proof' they have.

Smoking Guns, D- you like Slash better?  GREEEEAAAAAAT for your!  I'm happy for you, really, I am.

Other people like CD better (myself included)- wonderful! 

The rest is just pissing in the wind really. 

But to say that everyone knew CD was coming out is a huge stretch of the truth.  I have no idea where you live, but I know that not a lot of people knew CD was coming out.  I for one saw ZERO advertisement for it outside of the two stands inside Best Buy. 

I know of the Slash album and I don't want it.  Are you calling me a liar? 

I've heard many albums played in their entirety on radio stations including Scream by Cornell and we all know how well that went over, like a turd in a punch bowl.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

If you didn't know CD was coming out, you are a fucking idiot, Axl had been touring in support of it since Rock In Rio 3, 2002, 2006, and now..

Board footer