You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: The 2010-11 NFL Season Thread

Neemo wrote:

NFL opener: Super Bowl champs Saints vs. Vikings
40 minutes ago

Buzz up! PrintNEW YORK(AP) '”The Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints will get an early test when they host the Minnesota Vikings in the NFL season opener, a rematch of their thrilling NFC championship game decided in overtime.

That nationally televised game will be Thursday night, Sept. 9. New Orleans won its first conference title by beating Minnesota 31-28 on a 40-yard field goal by Garrett Hartley(notes) 4:45 into overtime. The Saints went on to defeat the Indianapolis Colts 31-17 in the Super Bowl.

'I can'™t imagine it being anymore charged than the last time we were down there,'  Vikings coach Brad Childress said Tuesday night. 'That'™s always a great, hostile environment to play in.'

ADVERTISEMENT

The Saints also will play at Dallas on Thanksgiving Day; the Cowboys handed New Orleans its first defeat after 13 victories last season.

In an effort to make late-season games more meaningful and avoid teams sitting out regulars once they have clinched a playoff berth, the NFL set up all intradivision matchups for the final Sunday, Jan. 2. That adjustment caused much of the delay in the release of the schedule this year; it normally is announced in early April or before.

Indianapolis begins its 2010 schedule at Houston on the first full day of the season, Sept. 12. Another highlight that Sunday will be the regular-season debut of the new Meadowlands Stadium, with Carolina at the New York Giants. The next night, Baltimore is at the New York Jets in the same venue, followed by San Diego at Kansas City in what has become a traditional Monday night doubleheader to kick off the season.

Two games will be played abroad: Denver vs. San Francisco in London on Oct. 31, and Chicago vs. Buffalo in Toronto the following Sunday, Nov. 7.

'Our Toronto fans will have the opportunity to see us play against one of the most storied franchises in NFL history,'  Bills owner Ralph Wilson said, 'with Brian Urlacher(notes) anchoring the Bears'™ defense and Jay Cutler(notes), one of the most exciting quarterbacks in the game today, leading their offense.'

The Jets also will host the Thanksgiving night game, against Cincinnati. Also on that holiday, New England visits Detroit.

Donovan McNabb'™s(notes) first game as Redskins quarterback will be against a familiar foe: Dallas. The Cowboys visit Washington in the Sunday night game on Sept. 12.

McNabb goes back to Philadelphia on Sunday, Oct. 4, the fourth week of the schedule and the first week with byes.

'It'™s a competitive schedule to measure ourselves against some of the top teams in the National Football League,'  Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said. 'It is flattering to open the season on national television on Sunday night and to also play three prime-time games and five national broadcasts in our first nine games.'

Other featured matchups include the Giants at the Colts as the prime-time Sunday game in Week 2, the second meeting between Peyton Manning(notes) and younger brother Eli; the almost-annual Colts-Patriots game, in Week 11 at New England; Dallas at Arizona on Christmas night, a Saturday; and the double dose of Brett Favre(notes) vs. the Packers, if the 40-year-old quarterback returns to Minnesota: Sunday night, Oct. 24 at Lambeau, and Nov. 21 at Minneapolis.

Julius Peppers(notes), the highest-profile free agent this year, will return to Carolina with his new team when the Bears play the Panthers in Week 5.

In addition to Shanahan'™s first game coaching the Redskins, the debuts of the two other new head coaches will have Pete Carroll'™s Seahawks hosting San Francisco, and Chan Gailey'™s Bills at home against Miami.

The Rams, who hold the first pick in Thursday'™s draft, open at home against Arizona.

For the first time since the Sunday night game moved to NBC in 2006, the network'™s schedule won'™t skip a week during the World Series. One of the season'™s most intriguing matchups, the Steelers at the Saints on Oct. 31, is poised to go up against Game 4. Major League Baseball chief operating officer Bob DuPuy declined comment.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said: 'We'™ve built a great franchise in Sunday Night Football and we agreed with NBC that it made sense to play a full season of Sunday night games without taking a week off.'

----------------------

thought it was about time to kick off the new thread

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

New England has a bear of a schedule next year.  I'll finally get to see Peyton and the Colts in person next season.  Ever since I got hooked up with season tickets 3 years ago they've played in Indy every year.  The entire home schedule Cincy, Buf, Balt, Min, Indy, NYJ (Monday night), GB (Sunday night), Mia.  Not to mention road games @SD, Pitt, and Chi.

Also looks like I'll be having some late starts to work with 2 scheduled night games.  Of course the Sunday nighter against GB could be changed due to flex scheduling.

Tough schedule though, at least it appears.  You never know from year to year, but from the looks of it, it ain't gonna be easy.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Draft starts tomorrow at 7:30pm est.  To be honest, I liked the old format where I could just blow off a bunch of hours on Saturday to watch this.  I'll have to tape this one and watch it later.

TEN has an interesting schedule too.  3 out of 4 home games to start out.  And something like 5 or 6 consecutive division games to end the season.  That could work to their advantage if the division stinks.

2 Night games is managable PIT and DAL (and others) have like 5.

It's great that their not skipping a game due to the World Series.  The NFL is king (of professional sports) in the US and has surpassed MLB anyway.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

My top ten picks:

1  Rams - Bradford QB
2  Lions - Suh  DT
3  Bucs - McCoy DT
4  Skins - Okung LT
5  Chiefs - Trent Williams LT
6  SeaHawks - Morgan DE
7  Browns - Berry S
8  Raiders - Clausen QB
9  Bills - Bulaga LT
10 Jags -  Joe Haden CB

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

You know, I hate the Bills. CJ Spiller? Really? A running back? The reason are two RBs don't perform well (and Jackson had 1,000 yards rushing so he's still managing) is the same reason that our QB's don't perform well - our line SUCKS! No RB is going to fix that.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

^^ That confused me.  So do they have Lynch, Fred Jackson & CJ Spiller?

Although I think Spiller runs back kicks, and is great at it. So he'll probably solely do that his first year, then they'll let Lynch go & Spiller will start.

I'm unsure about the Eagles pick. We've had plenty of undersized Defensive Ends in the past. They usually don't end up all that great. Not good considering they traded up to get him, and spent a 13th on him as well.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

They're going to try and trade Lynch tomorrow. Don't think they're going to get much for him, though.

If they take Clausen there's just no hope for them.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

There are still a few good tackles left--Saffold, Brown and Jared Verdheer.  Detroit traded up to #30 and the Vikings should take something other than an OT.  Unfortunately, KC will probably take one.  Bruce Campbell is still on the board but man his film isn't very good and his claim to fame is running a 4.85 at the combine.

The real shocker for me was Tyson Alualu at #10 to JAX.  He was projected at best to go in the 20s.  I actually liked OAK picking Rolando McClain.  He's a very good football player.

PaSnow,

Graham is a beast with the best pass rushing moves in the draft.  He'll be fine.

Actually it could have been worse, BUF was interested in trading back into the 1st round to nab Tebow.  Luckily, DEN saved them from that.  Clausen at least knows how to throw the ball in a pro style offense.  DEN now has Quinn, Kyle Orton and Tebow.  WTF?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Josh McDaniels is determined to turn one of those QB's into something special.  Not sure there are enough reps to go around though.  I don't see the need for Brady Quinn AND Tebow on the same team.  Broncos did make a good deal in trading up to take Thomas at WR though.

As a New England fan, I can't say I know too much about Devin McCourty.  Sounds like he's a versatile player, who's really good on special teams.  But, while their secondary is far from great, they had much more pressing needs and I don't really like the idea of using a 1st round pick on a special teamer.  They passed on both the WR's, by trading down and they do have a bit of a need for a wideout.  But they have a severe need for pass rushers.  Hopefully they find some over the weekend.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

McCourty is a good CB (blocked a bunch of kicks on special teams too).  Apparently, the other CB Kyle Wilson rubbed a bunch of teams the wrong way with his demeanor.  He went to the Jets (how many questionable guys do they need).  Only confusing part about the Pats is that they had a bunch of picks and still traded down.  I think they have 13 (or more) picks.  My guess they'll trade up with some of that currency and down too.  I wouldn't be suprised if they traded one of their second rounders for a future #1 (probably next year).  So that'll give them 3 #1's next year.  Perfect for reloading.

There are still a bunch of pass rushers available--Sergio Kindle, Everson Griffen, Ricky Sapp--and they can move up with their picks to get one.  To be honest, the WR prospects are mostly 2-4 round guys and after the first two there's a drop off.  I think they weren't convinced on either guy (Thomas, Bryant).  Thomas is raw and will take some time to develp.  Bryant has attitude issues.

I really thought that they would have taken Jerry Hughes as he fits them well.  I'm kind of peeved that the Colts took him though.

Board footer