You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: The 2010-11 NFL Season Thread

buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:

Josh McDaniels is determined to turn one of those QB's into something special.  Not sure there are enough reps to go around though.  I don't see the need for Brady Quinn AND Tebow on the same team.  Broncos did make a good deal in trading up to take Thomas at WR though.

McDaniels is a retard.  He's trying too hard to be a genius like Bill thinks he is instead of making good football decisions.  McDaniels will be gone in 3 years when Tebow is still a nothing QB.  All the God loving, good old boy personality in the world isn't going to keep him from not being able to deliver the ball quickly or accurately.

All the good decisions they made in loading up picks by trading Cutler and Marshall just went to hell.  Way to destroy the franchise Josh.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

McCourty is a good CB (blocked a bunch of kicks on special teams too).  Apparently, the other CB Kyle Wilson rubbed a bunch of teams the wrong way with his demeanor.  He went to the Jets (how many questionable guys do they need).  Only confusing part about the Pats is that they had a bunch of picks and still traded down.  I think they have 13 (or more) picks.  My guess they'll trade up with some of that currency and down too.  I wouldn't be suprised if they traded one of their second rounders for a future #1 (probably next year).  So that'll give them 3 #1's next year.  Perfect for reloading.

There are still a bunch of pass rushers available--Sergio Kindle, Everson Griffen, Ricky Sapp--and they can move up with their picks to get one.  To be honest, the WR prospects are mostly 2-4 round guys and after the first two there's a drop off.  I think they weren't convinced on either guy (Thomas, Bryant).  Thomas is raw and will take some time to develp.  Bryant has attitude issues.

I really thought that they would have taken Jerry Hughes as he fits them well.  I'm kind of peeved that the Colts took him though.

Yeah, I guess they felt McCourty was a better player than Hughes and that's why they took him.  Because they seriously need some pass rushers.  DB's don't hurt, especially in this day and age, but they've drafted DB's high up the last 3 years trying to replace Asante Samuel.  Does that mean they're not satisfied with their past picks at the position (Wilhite, Wheatley, Butler)?

And they do have 13 more picks, most in the draft.  Obviously they can't draft 14 guys and have them all make the team, so they're going to have to trade some picks to move up or for future picks.  Bill loves to trade, so I'd expect nothing less.  I hope they move up in the second round but regardless I'm sure they have a plan in place and they'll act accordingly.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

My guess is the Jets are going to convert Kyle Wilson into a safety.

I really thought there was a chance for The Bills to pick up Dez Bryant. It would have been a great move, then get a tackle in the 2nd.

Another suprise is Seattle passing Derrick Morgan and not going after Mays in the 2nd.

Tebow - I don't understand picking a situational player in the first round.

faldor

faldor wrote:

From Adam Schefter

Adam_Schefter - Today the Patriots have made four picks, four
trades and came away with an extra 2 next year. Nobody works draft board better. #nfldfraft
about 1 hour ago via UberTwitter

Again, I don't know a whole lot about the players the Pats picked today but from all accounts they look pretty good.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/tracker#d … m-input:ne

Round 1, Pick 27 (27) (From Cowboys)    Devin McCourty    CB    5'11"    193    Rutgers    8.0    --    Video
    Pick Analysis: After wheeling and dealing down the draft board, the Patriots pick up the versatile Devin McCourty. The former Rutgers standout gives the team a dynamic cover man and special teams player. Although he won't be counted on to step right in as a starter, McCourty should excel as a sub-defender/special teamer in his rookie season. The Patriots are routinely chastised for their willingness to trade away picks, but it's hard to dispute their ability to find gems at the right value.

Round 2, Pick 10 (42) (From Bears through Buccaneers and Raiders)    Rob Gronkowski    TE    6'6"    264    Arizona    8.2    --   
    Pick Analysis: The Patriots aggressively traded up a few spots to nab Rob Gronkowski. The big, athletic tight end has exceptional tools, and is one of the few complete players at the position available in the draft. With the offseason departures of Ben Watson and Chris Baker, the Patriots needed to add a playmaker at tight end, and Gronkowski has the talent to blossom into a Pro Bowler.

Round 2, Pick 21 (53)    Jermaine Cunningham    DE    6'3"    266    Florida    7.2    --   
    Pick Analysis: The Patriots add the unheralded Jermaine Cunningham in the middle of the second round. Though he spent most of his career playing in the shadows of a host of all-stars at Florida, he is a solid player with the versatile skill set that the Patriots prefer in their hybrid players. He gives Bill Belichick another option to use in his outside linebacker rotation.

Round 2, Pick 30 (62) (From Vikings through Texans)    Brandon Spikes    LB    6'3"    249    Florida    7.4    --   
    Pick Analysis: Bill Belichick loves to add "football players" to his roster, and Brandon Spikes is an old-school middle linebacker with the skills to excel as a pro. Although his slow 40 time dropped him down some draft boards, his outstanding production throughout his collegiate career is indicative of his superior instincts and awareness. The Patriots needed to add talent to their linebacker corps, and Spikes gives them a young player with immense potential.

Round 3, Pick 26 (90) (From Cowboys)    Taylor Price    WR    6'0"    204    Ohio    7.3    --   
    Pick Analysis: The Patriots add Taylor Price to bolster the speed of their receiving corps. The former Ohio star has outstanding athleticism, and is a big-play threat with the ball in his hands. Though he hasn't consistently played to his talent, his potential makes him an intriguing prospect worthy of consideration at this point.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Tebow - I don't understand picking a situational player in the first round.

I can't believe he went that high. I thought he'd be a 4th or 5th rounder.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Heart and soul of Colts defense may never play again???

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 … all-again/

Report: Bob Sanders might never be able to play football again
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 19, 2010 11:22 AM ET
Colts safety Bob Sanders said last month that he feels great and is excited about getting back on the field after playing just two games last season.

But Michael Lombardi of NFL.com reports that there are concerns that Sanders won't be able to get back onto the field at all.

According to Lombardi, there is some concern that Sanders might never be able to play football again, thanks to shoulder and bicep issues stemming from the ruptured bicep tendon that Sanders suffered last year. Although Sanders says he feels great, Lombardi says Sanders' rehab has been slow.

Lombardi also reports that Sanders "reduced his contract," but Lombardi provides no details. Sanders signed a five-year, $37 million contract with the Colts in 2007, and as of late in the 2009 season, Colts G.M. Bill Polian sounded comfortable with continuing to have Sanders playing under that contract, even though it's obviously disappointing to the Colts that Sanders has played just eight games the last two years.

Overall, Lombardi's report is a surprise -- it's surprising that there's so much concern about Sanders' health after he pronounced himself "great," surprising to hear that Sanders reduced his contract, and surprising that NFL.com buried such major news about a former Defensive Player of the Year in the final paragraph of an easy-to-overlook notes column.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

wow...that would be a huge blow

faldor

faldor wrote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/ne … pn_5397434

Source: Johnson joins cast of 'Survivor'

By Calvin Watkins
ESPNDallas.com
Archive

Former Dallas Cowboys head coach Jimmy Johnson will appear on the CBS reality show "Survivor: Nicaragua" this fall, according to a source.

The 67-year-old Johnson, who was unavailable for comment, joins the show's 21st season this summer. The series has been taped in various exotic locations, including Panama, the Fiji Islands, Kenya and Brazil since it started in 2000. This year's show will tape in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua.

Johnson, who won two Super Bowl titles with the Cowboys in the 1990s, will be grouped with strangers in an isolated area where contestants must complete challenges to win awards or immunity from getting kicked out of the game show.

Since retiring from the NFL as a head coach, Johnson has worked for Fox Sports as a pregame show analyst. The taping of Survivor is not expected to conflict with Johnson's job on Fox.

Several former Cowboys figures have been involved in popular television shows in retirement. Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin, part of "The Triplets" along with Troy Aikman who played for Johnson, competed in the ABC series "Dancing with the Stars."

Smith won the ballroom dance show in 2006. Irvin appeared on the show in 2009, but didn't win.

Former Cowboys quarterback Gary Hogeboom was a contestant on "Survivor: Guatemala," in 2005 and finished in seventh place.

In nine NFL seasons, with the Cowboys and Miami Dolphins, Johnson compiled an 80-64 record, which places him 49th on the all-time win list.

Calvin Watkins covers the Cowboys for ESPNDallas.com. You can follow him on Twitter or leave a question for his weekly mailbag.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Can't wait.

(For football that is, not Survivor.).   Didn't know JJ was 67 though, always thought he was younger.

faldor

faldor wrote:

I like football and Survivor, so I'm looking forward to them both.

I need to get a new Patriots jersey to wear at Gillette this coming season.  Ben Watson is no longer with the team.  I stuck with him through thick and thin, but it was time to let him go.  Unfortunately the Pats just don't utilize the TE.  I want to get a Darius Butler jersey.  2nd year DB from my favorite college sports team, UConn, but I can't find one anywhere.  Don't think they make them just yet.

Board footer