You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Manets
 Rep: 9 

Re: Rumors building up regarding CDII release date...

Manets wrote:

What do you guys think Axl in doing in NYC? Vacations? The guy has a lot of money and he could travel anywhere. Guns N' Rose's Twitter gave us a clue about it.

What do you think they were doing in NYC after Canada Tour? Weeks in NYC just for two small concerts? I don't think so. NY POST gave us a clue: "[...] Axl's in NYC mainly to finish the new Guns N' Roses album and has a lot to proove[...]

"Chinese Democracy Tour" and some chinese references to China like it's flag color and letters like mandarin were all over Asia, Canada, South America and Central American Tour posters. Did you see any at the European Tour? This is an end of an era.

My guess is: Right before Leeds & Reading.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

You know I think most of the arguements on this board always come back to one tired old issue: the name dispute.

I see it like this: For better or worse, Axl chose to name this band GNR. Likewise, over the past decade, the new GNR hasn't had the strongest impact on popular culture compared to the past. They released an album and there's been some great shows, but there has also been periods of absence. I think this means that the name GNR to most people, evokes a stronger image of the former band, than it does of the current music. Like you say GNR to a person on the street, and they think of homeless guys on drugs, or Axl in a Kilt, aside from those of us (myself included) who adore the new album, the average person doesn't immediately bust out the lyrics to TWAT.

This isn't to imply that people arn't aware of the changes in the band. There's been 15 years of bad press for people to understand slash is gone, that Axl took a long time for his album to come out, that "it's the Axl Rose Show with a rotating cast of characters" and all that stuff people say. I'm not trying to argue that people don't know those things. But my overall point is that the people who go to a show now, are people who have accepted that and go to see something called GNR anyway.

Which puts them in two catagories. Those who love the new music, and those who love the old music, but have an open enough mind to see a GNR show for Axl's parts without demanding the original line up. Now while I think the new music is kickass and I love it, I think just through pure exposure, and the times involved and popular culture and all that, there are going to be more of the latter people there than the former.

To me this means they are expected by 90% of the audience to play the iconic songs. You can say to me "maybe it shouldn't be called GNR" and you might be right, but once the decision is made to call it a GNR show, in my mind that makes the band comitted to give the average punter what they want if they are willing to accept a "new" GNR at all, and that's a peformance of the GNR staples. Failure to do this would surely shit off everyone but the hardcores like me, and those people who have found this band based on the new music, which I think most would agree hasn't had the same exposure in the media as say the years of SCOM or November Rain has.

So it all comes to the name debate again. Say Mick Jagger started touring with the guys from the this board and called the band "The Rolling Stones". I'd expect an uproar of abuse from 90% of the world. Then we release an album. It's got some classic Jagger vocals and stuff, but the evo band has also done some stuff you wouldn't have found on a traditional stones record. It's controversial. Then a year or two latter we tour. Who is at the show? Some people who dig the new album and line up, and some that are "ok" with me being in the band cos they like Jagger enough to swallow it. The people who fucking hate it are probably at home bitching. So those guys in the audience, they're the people who can accept or are willing to pretend that it's the rolling stones with only jagger, and they paid their shit to see a rolling stones show, and so like the fucking band had better start playing some rolling stones hits like Satisfaction, Honky Tonk Woman etc etc!

So that's how I see it for GNR too. I think the reality is the people at the shows are going to want the band they see peform to play the songs they associate with the GNR name, and that is the classic hits.

Obviously people like me who love the new album would love to hear the whole of Chinese Democracy to be played each night as well, and hopefully as the newer songs get pushed more and become more standard in future tours the ratio of CD/AFD fans might change a bit...but I think the reality is that cos of the drama, and everyone's age and the new era of music and 1000 other things, the GNR brand is always going to be associated with AFD and those massive hits first and foremost, and more modern stuff even if wildly sucessful will always have to take it's place in line behind those past triumphs.

So i think the band does a good job of balancing the impossible, they're playing some CD tracks for those like us, yet also hitting out the classics for most people who've come to see GNR. I'd agree it might be awesome to change around which tracks from CD are featured, or maybe if some of my personal favs like TWAT were more common, but overall, I don't think it's reasonable to expect the band to play more than a certain percentage of new stuff.

BrokenGlassNCigs
 Rep: 25 

What does this thread have to do with how many new songs the band decides to play live? This topic is about the possibility and the ongoing rumors that a new album is on the horizon.

Axl is in NYC and is staying two blocks away from Universal NYC. The bands twitter says "time to go take care of bizness" -- that can only mean good things.

The band has to take extra precaution this time around if they're in fact releasing a new LP. Firstly, can't have even half as many leaks around like last time. Second, they aren't going to be playing any unheard stuff on this tour, and if they do, it'll probably only be one song, and that's stretching it.

I'm trying to stay optimistic, and I believe the band will release more albums. Axl has a HUGE, tremendous weight off of his shoulders. His location on twitter says "land of tranquility" -- that says it all. He seems happier than ever judging by these forthcoming NYC pics.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Those Twitter posts are a pretty good sign huh.

Imagine a new album release with no leaks. I maintain if we'd never heard a track from CD in advance it would have blown all our minds.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
BrokenGlassNCigs wrote:

What does this thread have to do with how many new songs the band decides to play live? This topic is about the possibility and the ongoing rumors that a new album is on the horizon.

Axl is in NYC and is staying two blocks away from Universal NYC. The bands twitter says "time to go take care of bizness" -- that can only mean good things.

The band has to take extra precaution this time around if they're in fact releasing a new LP. Firstly, can't have even half as many leaks around like last time. Second, they aren't going to be playing any unheard stuff on this tour, and if they do, it'll probably only be one song, and that's stretching it.

I'm trying to stay optimistic, and I believe the band will release more albums. Axl has a HUGE, tremendous weight off of his shoulders. His location on twitter says "land of tranquility" -- that says it all. He seems happier than ever judging by these forthcoming NYC pics.

Man, I hope you're right.  But I don't know how far we should read into tweets.  Although, apparently Pete Carrol, coach of the Seattle Seahawks, was tweeting hints at who the team was going to draft this weekend.  So anything is possible.  OR, we could be reading way too much into random words.

But I hope you're right.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Naltav wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

You're an idiot.  I haven't backpedaled an inch.  I am done wasting my time on you.  I hope English isn't your first language, because I can't explain myself any clearer than this.

Oh what classy and mature exit to an argument...  5

Sometimes I just have to call it like I see it.  It's not an argument when you don't even know what is going on around you.  Trust me, I saved you a lot of embarrassment.  Move on...

Thanks buzz, for saving me the embarrassment! It's very obvious to everyone that you held back "the big guns"...

When I go see GNR for two shows in Norway in a few weeks, I'll try to upload some videos for you, since you haven't seen the band perform yet. And you can live vicariously through me and tell me what the shows were like and how much it sucked even though the people who attended the shows thought it ROCKED!!

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Naltav wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Naltav wrote:

Oh what classy and mature exit to an argument...  5

Sometimes I just have to call it like I see it.  It's not an argument when you don't even know what is going on around you.  Trust me, I saved you a lot of embarrassment.  Move on...

Thanks buzz, for saving me the embarrassment! It's very obvious to everyone that you held back "the big guns"...

When I go see GNR for two shows in Norway in a few weeks, I'll try to upload some videos for you, since you haven't seen the band perform yet. And you can live vicariously through me and tell me what the shows were like and how much it sucked even though the people who attended the shows thought it ROCKED!!

Maybe Noway's standards aren't very high.  I've seen the videos.  They are unimpressive.  I've also read the reports of lukewarm reaction to the new songs and people enjoying the old stuff, though I imagine you'll leave that out of your report.

Enjoy the shows.  Why exactly do you care what I think about it anyway?  Even if everybody else hates it, isn't all that matters that you enjoyed it? 

You keep throwing out the word "everyone" like everyone agrees with you.  I don't see people lining up to back you.  Even if some people did line up to back you, they certainly wouldn't be doing it because you made a good case.  You completely embarrassed yourself dude.  You can never win an argument with someone when your side of the argument is telling the other person that the experiences that they had didn't really happen and they imagined them.  You are fighting an impossible battle, yet you refuse to give up. 

Let me make this as simple as possible so you can go away: you are free to think whatever you want.  I know what I have experienced, so no matter what you think is true, you are never going to be able to change my mind on the issue. 

My factual experiences are going to trump your desired reality every day of the week.  Nothing you can say will EVER change that.  No amount of people that you can convince to support you will ever change that.  Like I said, maybe I am the luckiest son of a bitch when it came to attending concerts, but I know what happened at the shows I've been to, and the sample size isn't small.  Perhaps that is because I haven't gone and seen a lot of washed up bands or bands that are touring well past their prime.  Whatever the reason, the facts of what I have seen are the facts.  You cannot change them.

You lose.  Good day sir.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Wow, another thread hijacked how surprising   roll

I for one will take the possibility of a new album with a pinch of salt but at the same time i would love some new music. I just don't wanna get my hopes up and get let down.
Expect nothing then anything you get is a bonus.

Oh btw i would give the win to Naltav   14

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Naltav wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Maybe Noway's standards aren't very high.  I've seen the videos.  They are unimpressive.  I've also read the reports of lukewarm reaction to the new songs and people enjoying the old stuff, though I imagine you'll leave that out of your report.

Enjoy the shows.  Why exactly do you care what I think about it anyway?  Even if everybody else hates it, isn't all that matters that you enjoyed it? 

You keep throwing out the word "everyone" like everyone agrees with you.  I don't see people lining up to back you.  Even if some people did line up to back you, they certainly wouldn't be doing it because you made a good case.  You completely embarrassed yourself dude.  You can never win an argument with someone when your side of the argument is telling the other person that the experiences that they had didn't really happen and they imagined them.  You are fighting an impossible battle, yet you refuse to give up. 

Let me make this as simple as possible so you can go away: you are free to think whatever you want.  I know what I have experienced, so no matter what you think is true, you are never going to be able to change my mind on the issue. 

My factual experiences are going to trump your desired reality every day of the week.  Nothing you can say will EVER change that.  No amount of people that you can convince to support you will ever change that.  Like I said, maybe I am the luckiest son of a bitch when it came to attending concerts, but I know what happened at the shows I've been to, and the sample size isn't small.  Perhaps that is because I haven't gone and seen a lot of washed up bands or bands that are touring well past their prime.  Whatever the reason, the facts of what I have seen are the facts.  You cannot change them.

You lose.  Good day sir.

I didn't say your experiences didn't happen, buzz. How could I ever be in a position to say or mean that. I'm not allmighty....

You brought up "personal experience" to prove your point, but you won't tell me what those "personal experiences" are...

And now you say "the facts of what I have seen are the facts.  You cannot change them." Well that's a given offcourse! But if you would disclose what these amazing "facts" and "personal experiences" are, I could maybe argue that they are not relevant to the discussion. Or maybe you could convince me to agree with you...

But instead, you choose to let it hang in the air, and try to leave the discusion with your head held high...

If that's what you want, fine.... Good day to you too, buzz!

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

all ihave to say to luke warm reactions to new songs...sure the crowd is quieter for the newer tracks...but by the same token they dont know them as well as old stuff...any concert i've ever been to the crowd is usually more reserved with new material, then the hits come on and people go apeshit...its the way it is

the shows i was at the crowds were loving the old stuff, then the new stuff it was more quiet, but SoD, Maddy, CD and Better got decent receptions...and the crowds were cheering when the other songs were over...more cheering for some than for others

anyway i have seen some bands showcase new material and other bands not so much, its really is dependant on the artist tbh..buzz even you cant say that every artist you saw showcased new material when they had very strong back catalogue of material as well...

a couple examples from my personal experiences

Stone Temple Pilots, 1996...7 songs of 24 promoting Tiny Music...

PanterA in 2001, 4 songs of 15 promoting Reinventing the steel

TooL in 2002, 8 songs of 12 Promoting Lateralus

Megadeth in 2006, 3 songs (plus a previously unreleased song) of 16 promoting The System Has Failed

Board footer