You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Re: God damn, how great is Estranged!!!

Stepvhen wrote:

It's a day in the life for our generation

johndivney wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

It's a day in the life for our generation

it's better n different than that. the only song i could really compare estranged 2 is the song it samples, like a rolling stone. both are gargantuan, eloquent rock n roll sirens studying the individual on the existential precipice of freedom, detailing the supernatural paradoxical anguish/pain & relief/joy of the realisation that comes from that moment in time (& that moment that when confronted never goes away). ultimately both LARS & Estranged are much more positive & universal than even the most 'normal' amazing songs like ADITL. Estranged's subject matter really delves into a lot deeper territory than ADITL, the only other song i know that does that, goes to those places, with such skill is LARS. & the riff.. good god almighty axl n slash at their very, very best - better than SCOM.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

Estranged Set in as  my all time fav the first time i heard it. by the second or third listen and the video i could feel every bend of that Les Pauls strings! 

MY world? really? lol i have multiple versions of every gnr song except that one.

Wow john thats a deep review

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I am not as impressed with the lyrics as I am with the melody and the music. The lyrics are awesome, but musically the song is almost perfect. I've never heard a song that has that type of melodic guitar underneath the first half of the song. I think TWAT tried to get there, but failed miserably by utilizing Robin as the lead.  I wonder what Slash could have done with that songs as much as I'd have loved to have heard Axl on the VR songs.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

so we're straight....i didnt say maddy and til compared to estrangfed and NR i just think they are following along the same ideas

I think CD's TWAT & TIL are the songs that compare to NR (TIL) & Estranged (TWAT).

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

so we're straight....i didnt say maddy and til compared to estrangfed and NR i just think they are following along the same ideas

I think CD's TWAT & TIL are the songs that compare to NR (TIL) & Estranged (TWAT).

Axl's lyrics and vocals on TIL are excellent, but the song overall isn't anywhere near NR's league. TWAT is definitely in Estranged's league, although not quite as good IMHO.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Agree with both statements. At least figured they were "family members" in terms of presentation.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Agree with both statements. At least figured they were "family members" in terms of presentation.

I can go with that, sort of. TIL is definitely in the same vein as NR. You can easily imagine it being the next video following DC/NR/Estranged. TWAT is sort of a different beast. It's almost a hybrid of Estranged/NR because as great as Estranged is, the solo isn't as iconic as NR's. The TWAT solo is fucking killer -- as strong as NR, SCOM, or any of the other greats from the past. The other thing about TWAT of course is it's more of an evolution from the Illusion epics. It has some industrial influence in it whereas TIL could have been on the Illusion albums in 1991.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

It's probably because of all the songs that made CD, TIL is the only one that I believe Axl wrote during the old days (I think it was written in 1992).

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

It's probably because of all the songs that made CD, TIL is the only one that I believe Axl wrote during the old days (I think it was written in 1992).

Didn't it show up during one of those "making of the video" interviews? I seem to remember people saying the piano part from TIL can be heard in one of those interviews.

Board footer