You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Axl fires back at Irv with lawsuit

buzzsaw wrote:

I think a lineup of Axl, Slash, BBF, Duff (Rhythm guitar mostly), Tommy, and whatever drummer and keyboards/effects guys you want could work and would allow them to play the entire catalog almost flawlessly, but I think it's a moot point.  At that rate, we may as well go dream lineup and say Axl, Slash, BH, Izzy, Duff, and whatever drummer/keys you want.  Neither is going to happen anytime soon, and if there is a reunion someday, I believe it will be a full reunion of the UYI recording lineup. 

I have always said that the best option is if they had VR with Myles singing open, Slash/Duff/Izzy/Tommy/BBF/whoever else has solo stuff next, then the CD band playing their stuff and the AFD/UYI band playing their stuff.  They could have their own mobile festival if they wanted.  6+ hours of music almost every GnR fan would love.  That would sell and it would be as close to everybody winning as we could possibly get.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

madagas wrote:

put Slash in for Dj....end of discussion.

I can't see that working 'cause of Slash's ego. Would you really want to be the one to tell him that Bumble gets to play the big solo at the end of November Rain or TWAT? Look back at Slash's career to date; he takes great care to ensure that he's the one who plays ALL the solos. I think the first bit of the Nightrain solo's pretty much the only occasion where he lets someone else have the limelight. Oh, there's that little guitar duel in the live version of Set Me Free, too.

Slash wants to play in a band with two guitarists, where the other guitarist doesn't showboat or solo. Axl wants to sing in a band with three guitarists, where each one gets pretty much equal soloing time; these two positions are pretty much irreconcilable.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Slash wants to play in a band with two guitarists, where the other guitarist doesn't showboat or solo. Axl wants to sing in a band with three guitarists, where each one gets pretty much equal soloing time; these two positions are pretty much irreconcilable.

Axl wants this for power play reasons, not for musical reasons.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

buzzsaw wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Except the guitarists pretty much decide between themselves who plays which part. Bumblefoot's said as much.

And Slash does the exact opposite for power play reasons - he's spent years honing his image as the guitar hero, and part of that effort includes ensuring he only plays with rhythm guitarists who remain passive partners in his bands. Hell, he played with John 5 at that Slash & Friends gig and pretty much confined the guy to rhythm work only...

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Except the guitarists pretty much decide between themselves who plays which part. Bumblefoot's said as much.

And Slash does the exact opposite for power play reasons - he's spent years honing his image as the guitar hero, and part of that effort includes ensuring he only plays with rhythm guitarists who remain passive partners in his bands. Hell, he played with John 5 at that Slash & Friends gig and pretty much confined the guy to rhythm work only...

I never said Slash didn't do it for the same reason, and just because the guitarists choose who plays what, that doesn't mean it's not split up for a reason that has nothing to do with the music.  Axl and Slash both have huge ego issues.

For the record, I have no problem with Slash dictating anything to anybody on his solo gig...it's his solo gig.  He should dictate everything.  That's why it's a solo gig.  If Axl called this thing a solo project, I would have far less problems with him doing some of the things he does.

Anyway, I didn't post that to get into a fight about the name, just pointing out that the reason behind the rotating solos goes beyond the music.

Sky Dog wrote:

Slash would play all the classics, no questions ask. New guys play solos for new stuff. Slash writes music in future....Slash plays his stuff and Bumble/Richard play their stuff. Real simple.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Even Bucket's freaky image wasn't that much of an issue, in the days when you had the likes of Slipknot and Wes Borland on MTV.

Great post, elevenempire.

People still talk of Bucket. The DJ I listened to did too, and it's been 8 years...8 years(!) since Bucket was "current" in GNR in 2002. Imagine that!

Bucket is the symbol of Axl's re-form of GNR.

"He hired a guy with a bucket and a mask on his head".

People took interest, sometimes in negative fashion because a guitar player in GNR shouldn't have a Bucket on his head. That's how lowlife that discussion were.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Fortus on rhythm (he's more reliable than Izzy)

PLEASE. Fortus couldn't write a tune with a gun to his head while Izzy can whip up killer tunes in three shakes of a lamb's tail, and can do it quicker when working with Axl. Izzy's stage presence shits all over the Jordanesque jumping abilities of Fortus. At shows, no one cares about Fortus while Izzy gets a huge pop from the crowd.

Fortus isn't even a wart on Izzy's ass.

I can't see that working 'cause of Slash's ego. Would you really want to be the one to tell him that Bumble gets to play the big solo at the end of November Rain or TWAT?

If Slash ever gets on stage with Axl again, Slash is doing all the solos even if there's ten guitarists onstage, which is how it should be.  You wont be hearing TWAT either because only us thousand nerds care about that.

You'll be hearing NR, Civil War, Estranged,etc. and not TWAT, Scraped, Riad, etc.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Fortus isn't even a wart on Izzy's ass.

Another obvious one, here.

When did Fortus ever write a song in Izzy's class? Never.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'd rather have Bucket back than Slash.

Board footer