You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Dj Ashba and Dizzy Reed: "We're working on a new album"

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

To me it's like FUCK 2002.

To say that is to say "fuck Chinese Democracy", and you rave on the album. Cant have it both ways...one leads into the other.

Yes I can.

The best parts of the album I think all come from Axl, the battle was always to find guitarists to work with that could bring to the band something to match the chemestry between Slash and Izzy.

Paul brought some basic song structures that clearly inspired Axl to do good things, much as izzy used to do, and I'll grant someone needs to fill that role, although there is adaquate evidence that ashba could be similar from his past works, meanwhile there's no indication that paul is even out of the band from a songwriting pov.

Bucket only contributed to Shacker's and Scraped from a song structure/writing  point of view. Good songs, but in the rest he  mostly he just added a bit of a solo here and there, there's still some killer licks to be sure, but its not like these songs really stem from him.

Meanwhile the rest of the songs seem to come from Dizzy, Stinson, Pitman...all of who are still in the current line up.

And of course we still have Bumblefoot...who i'd credit as the man that brought in some glue to actually make a lot of the previous verisons more consistant sounding overall and less like cut and paste jobs - granted like bucket he didnt write the tracks - but he made them more coherent - such as the sleaze he added to the title track, and a few cool little additions and solos here and there.

There is no reason a band that has Rose, Ashba, Bumble, Stinson, Dizzy and Pitman need ever worry about a lack of songwriting ability in the band.

If we want to look back in time, lets look at something real, like the AFD line up, now that's some magic that's hard to replace, but in terms of the new era, to my ears the 2002 line up just didn't quite work, it sounds great on paper, but it couldn't get its shit together, the 2010 line up refines those issues and finally brings GNR back to the table musically.

2010 is not a cover of 2002, it's more like a functional model of what was an experimental prodotype.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Bucket contributed Sorry. Outside the lyrics, it was one the hightlights of CD. From what I understand, he and Brain wrote quite a bit and most of CD was made up of pre-bucket songs. Who knows what's still out there.

I think Axl's going through is usual "putting the guys in the band on the album" thing again. Just going on what happened in 2006, I'd bet they've been sporadically visiting studios laying "new" tracks... Meaning new guitar and drum tracks on already finished songs 16

Sky Dog wrote:

"Axl also doesn't need a Cornell, when you have Tommy Stinson (madagas), as well as being buddies with Izzy Stradlin, and still at the same time being Axl Rose."

JR, I agree with you here. Throw in Paul Tobias as well and you have a good core of songwriters. My favorite songs on Chinese were all co-written with Paul-Catcher, Prostitute, and TWAT. I'll take songs like that any day of the week.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

yeah exactly...end of the day chinese is a great album...chuck in some ashba and bumble on CD2 and it's going to be good again i'm sure. Axl doesn't write a lot of bad songs - or at least not ones he shares with the public anyway!

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I think I can speak for everybody(and if not I'll just speak for myself) and say I enjoy reading your contributions to the board, whether in this section or the off topic sections. Its easy to steer a discussion in a different direction, and I'm sure you're quite capable of doing that.

Well, thank you smile

It's not like I'm quitting, it's just a matter of being bored beating a dead horse and seeing people being too negative at times, and trust me when I say I've burned bridges for being too negative when it comes to bands and their doings. When I feel it's getting too negative, it propably is!

Just to underline my last paragraph. Here's a letter from a British singer after I was to negative (blocked out the names, don't want anything to do with these people any more at all).

Regardless of your unlimited support for[ex singer], (which, as it happens, I also share) everytime you venture onto the [band name] site, it is always a negative attitude. Which is completely unnecessary.

I personally dont want to hear from you again, especially after I have entertained you and sympathised with your opinions in the past.

[Guitarist name] considers you as an undesirable entity and has also asked me to remove you from the [band name] website access in the past; but I have given you the benefit of the doubt and constrained myself from doing that, but now you have overstepped the mark and enough is enough.

My "crime" in this case except being "too negative"?. Making an Adolf Hitler Der Untergang joke which had Hitler screaming and cussing at the quality of the last album and some rude remarks about the singer, having his generals around the table supporting the *new band* and their new singer.

Couldn't take the joke I guess.

Oh and I was never banned. The webmaster thought the joke was stupid, but assured me the rest was just shitty ramblings from the singers part.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah I think we all get a bit over the top at times - myself included.

It's easy to forget, especially when dealing with larger than life guys, like people with Axl's stage presence, and the 'cool' factor of professional guitarists and so on, that they are also real human beings.

I'm an amateur songwriter, I do it as a hobby and as a form of emoitional release of my own, but I have to say, if I was to share some of my own music and got the sort of flame reviews and critisim we toss around, it could be pretty upsetting.

I mean I get it's their job so to speak so they'd need a tough skin, but then I also think...look at how personal some of Axl's lyrics probably are and then think about the shit we talk about the band, and you can imagine why at times they'd be offended.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The best parts of the album I think all come from Axl, the battle was always to find guitarists to work with that could bring to the band something to match the chemestry between Slash and Izzy.

Paul brought some basic song structures that clearly inspired Axl to do good things, much as izzy used to do, and I'll grant someone needs to fill that role, although there is adaquate evidence that ashba could be similar from his past works, meanwhile there's no indication that paul is even out of the band from a songwriting pov.

Bucket only contributed to Shacker's and Scraped from a song structure/writing  point of view. Good songs, but in the rest he  mostly he just added a bit of a solo here and there, there's still some killer licks to be sure, but its not like these songs really stem from him.

Meanwhile the rest of the songs seem to come from Dizzy, Stinson, Pitman...all of who are still in the current line up.

to my ears the 2002 line up just didn't quite work, it sounds great on paper, but it couldn't get its shit together

All of this transpired in the era you hate.  You act like nothing happened from 1997-2006 and then Bumble and Frank jumped on board and GNR whipped up Chinese Democracy.

No offense, but you're approaching Madison territory here. 16

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

All of this transpired in the era you hate.  You act like nothing happened from 1997-2006 and then Bumble and Frank jumped on board and GNR whipped up Chinese Democracy.

No offense, but you're approaching Madison territory here. 16

Haha....you mean i'm a (insert Axl's remarks here) ? big_smile

Yeah, I might have been a bit extreme, I guess what I'm saying is I don't understand why I often read posts around here from a few people about how 2002 was the perfect time and this band is covers of covers and it's all too late and fucked now.

I can understand nostalgia for AFD guys, because, much as I love the new band, I think everyone would agree it's sonicly a different experience (3 guitars, 2 synths, more industrial songs), and I personally like both, but I can get that some people would want the old way.

I can also understand missing bucket, as the guy does have that "one in a million" kin of unusual quality, like slash and axl do, that elevates a band to a cetain level.

So I understand those things in isolation I guess, but some of the recent posts (not from you) about how theres no point in this tour and about how the current line up would be unable to record good music have me baffled.

For me personally, I think a 2010 live boot sounds better than say the RIR3 live boot or something from that era. I think richard plays live better than paul did, I think frank captures the feel of the AFD tracks better than brain, and I think Axl sounds the best he has in decades, and I prefer Ashba's take on slash's material far over Robins, and bumble is doing a good job in a very hard role.

2002 had it's charms, particularly from a songwriting pov with Paul and Bucket around i'm not denying that, but i'm just saying much of the modern band I prefer to the 2002 band, namely ashba and frank, and with bumble, pitman, dizzy, stinson,  and Axl still kicking around I don't understand the type of post by Axlin08 and others saying things like 2002 was "the last gasp of the band musically" and "How do I take the 2009-10 band seriously".

I don't hate 2002, I'm just saying to my ears the 2010 band is the best the group has sounded of any non-slash/duff line ups. And I think there's a ton of potential for the current line up to record a truely kickass album. GNR being what it is they may in fact never record a thing, but they have a lot of ability that seems unrecgonised around here.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I love 2002 and 2006. R   o   bin is the best guitarist this band ever had.

Given how GNR has changed over the years, I don't think there's a band with as much diversity of opinion among fans. Take the best guitarist issue, you'd have guys claming Slash, Bucket, Bumble, Richard, Robin, Izzy and so on....it's really nuts these days.

Like for me I'd take 2010 over 2002 anyday - but clearly you wouldn't...and then there's those who'd take 1991 or 1988....there's endless varients!!!

Board footer