You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Galarraga robbed of perfect game

Axlin16 wrote:

The Ump actually has handled it with tons of class. He came right out afterward, and admitted it was a mistake, and he blew it. He even cried when he came out in tonight's game. You can tell it's tearing him up inside what he did.

Tiger fans need to move on. Maybe Galarraga's game can be come legend as "The Imperfect Game".

PaSnow wrote:

Even aside from this, Bud Selig is the worst comissioner in sports (All Star game determines home field advantage?? Absurd. Fauz outrage ver steroid controversy) but he should just override the rules here and do the right thing. It was he last play of the game, the ump has apologized & must feel terrible. It won't effect many stats aside from the one batters hit. Call it an out, put itin the record books and everyones happy. 

Rules/Schmules.

Let's not forget Mr. Selig calling the All-Star game a TIE in 2002, because it was late, and he wanted to go home. I still haven't forgiven him for that. T-total BULLSHIT.

His excuse? The players might get hurt.

Miller Park was filled with working class joe's, wanting the best one-off baseball game of the year, because of all the all-stars, and you cop out with a draw, because it's the 11th inning and late? Fuck off.

Can't stand that guy.

The reason Selig won't change the game to a perfect game, is because it doesn't affect the outcome of the game. Tigers still beat the Indians either way, and that's why "Bud" won't get involved.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

It's a team sport and the Tigers won the game - so end of story for me.

Baseball should never be about an individual player's stats.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Gong wrote:

It's a team sport and the Tigers won the game - so end of story for me.

Baseball should never be about an individual player's stats.

That's pretty much how Galaraga took it, which was the classy move.

But pitching a perfect game is a quite an accomplishment that doesn't happen too often (although it has happened twice already this year).  It's tough for the kid, and even though his name won't go down in the record books he'll have an interesting story to tell for the rest of his life.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
faldor wrote:

and even though his name won't go down in the record books he'll have an interesting story to tell for the rest of his life.

Yeah, in a way that's true. 20+ other pitchers pitched a perfect game, but only one did so only to have the ump blow the 3rd out in the ninth. Kindof unique piece of history he has all to himself. A trivia question for decades as well.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
faldor wrote:

and even though his name won't go down in the record books he'll have an interesting story to tell for the rest of his life.

Yeah, in a way that's true. 20+ other pitchers pitched a perfect game, but only one did so only to have the ump blow the 3rd out in the ninth. Kindof unique piece of history he has all to himself. A trivia question for decades as well.

Who's the only pitcher to pitch a perfect game by retiring 28 batters, sort of?

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The reason Selig won't change the game to a perfect game, is because it doesn't affect the outcome of the game. Tigers still beat the Indians either way, and that's why "Bud" won't get involved.

There was an article in our newspaper that quoted someone close to Selig as saying he wouldn't overrule the call because every sketchy call would then be brought to him for review. I can see his point, but this one was a really obvious mistake.

I guess the bright side is that they're looking forward into using cameras for instant review. About time, they're behind all of the other sports.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

When the Ump admits that it was the wrong call and says sorry to the guy then you reverse it. Selig once again proves why he is shitty at his job.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
dr_love6977 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

There was an article in our newspaper that quoted someone close to Selig as saying he wouldn't overrule the call because every sketchy call would then be brought to him for review. I can see his point, but this one was a really obvious mistake.

I guess the bright side is that they're looking forward into using cameras for instant review. About time, they're behind all of the other sports.

And this play might make the case for the expansion of instant replay.

At this point, ironically, just about all of the umpires actually support it, and almost unanimously the baseball team owners support it. I agree with them.

Instant replay in EVERY ASPECT of the game. GET IT RIGHT!

I think if instant replay really expands to football-like status, rules should cost them for challenges that have the play stand. Like a challenge that's not reversed, is an additional out for the team.

That way, team managers wouldn't abuse the challenge option. You also are only allowed 2-3 per game.

I'd dig it. Allows the replay to do it's justice, yet doesn't incredibly slow the game down.

alexh0618
 Rep: 14 

alexh0618 wrote:

I would like for a instant replay rule to be more like the NHL's. The call for a review has to come from the top or the umpires and neither team has a say in what gets reviewed. Kinda like expanding the little conferences that umps sometimes have to discuss a call. Letting a team challenge 2 times a game like the NFL will already make a slow game even slower.

Board footer