You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Bumblefoot interview

RussTCB wrote:

removed

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Aussie wrote:

I also get the impression that Ron (and probably the others too) want to record new music with Axl, but again he gets no say in that.

He's been in the band four years and still hasn't recorded new music(by his own admission.

Depressing that pretty much sums up Guns N' Roses.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
misterID wrote:

That Pink Floyd reunion reminded them why they hated each other sad

That Floyd reunion is a lot of things to me. It was incredibly joyous while it was happening. But now I look back and I see how much Roger & David have changed, even since that time and it's amazing to me. David was always the one saying there was more left in the Floyd. Roger famously disagreed obviously. Look at where we are now; Richard passed away, David finally has had some success under his own name and Roger would be all over making more music as Pink Floyd but Gilmour wants nothing to do with it.

If you would have told me even 10 years ago that things would be this way now concerning Floyd I'd have told you to go seek mental help ASAP. It's just plain amazing to me to see how that whole situation has (still is) turned out.

I always envision something like that happening one day with GNR if at all. A one off thing that makes some feel like there's still something there and proves to others that there wasn't when they were hoping for it previously.

I still would rather that be the final taste of Guns N' Roses in my mouth, than the crap that's went on since 1994.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I can't blame Ron for these answers.

As neemo pointed out, a number of the questions if applied to another situation are clearly inflamatory and looking to create trouble.

As for the secrecy. I think it really is just that he isn't that involved in the business side of things. If you think about it, Axl has a bit of an empire to oversee, and it seems that he likes to take a fairly active hand in most of it, probably due to issues with past managment.

So at any one time you'd have a host of publishing agreements going down with old and new songs, various offers comming in for colaborations, general stuff involving copyright protection on line and so on, organising and logistics of tours - which the band seems to do directly a lot now - and which can be a complex job - the actual peforming of music and those tours - then recording any ideas as they happen - or the tinkering of unfinshed songs, the mixing and changes, the various label negotiations, all of the lawsuits that get thrown around both ways.

Axl seems personally involved and overseeing a lot of these things - to an extent that I suspect most band front men are not - or at least that's the way it appears on the outside - that GNR does things a lot more personally and less reliant on the 'suits' than many equivilant bands. In addition to being a rock star, he's basicly put himself as the head of a large corporation these days, and if you've ever seen how those guys work, it's a full on life style. And of course there's all the 'human' stuff he'd like to do from time to time as well.

So i'd expect guys like ron basicly get a call when Axl and the team have finished orginising the plans for a tour, or when it's "go" time for a recording, or probably occasionally socially when there's a family event or someone's in town for a beer or something, but I don't think he'd be on the ground 24/7 getting involved in the business shit, and from what I understand of ron, and the level he is at on guitar (which doesn't happen by accident) - I'd guess that's pretty much the way he likes things.

To be honest I see no reason for things to change much. I think the band will continue to tour. At some stage we may get CD2 and so on. There will be periods of tours and new music, and periods of apparenty public inactivity while things happen backstage in the corporate sector.

The members will busy themselves with side projects during the "off-seasons" and go back to kicking ass in GNR when the time is right. Maybe occasionally you might loose a member, like with robin, when there is an alternative offer that presents more frequent work. Just like with any business I guess. But it seems the new band "gells" better than a lot of the modern line ups, and quiet periods aside, GNR is definately a pretty awesome highprofile gig to get as a professional guitarist, so I'd expect most people will be happy to do it the way bumble is now....afterall he plays to massive crowds, tours the world, is part of Guns N Roses history, played some killer solos on the last album, and is getting paid to do what he's always loved - play great guitar.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

...Axl seems personally involved and overseeing a lot of these things - to an extent that I suspect most band front men are not - or at least that's the way it appears on the outside...

I think I read somewhere that Axl was inspired by Mick Jagger when opening for Stones, to take a more "hands-on"-kinda role on the buisness side of the band. Apparently Mick would go directly off stage to meetings with the merch-sales-guys and go through the sales of that night etc etc...

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

^^

If that's true, that's kinda sad. It means from way back when, Axl always looked at it like a job.

If I looked at it as business, i'd be the same way. I'd rather go to work for 8 hours every other night, or every three days, during those shows, than to spend 4 hours each day, every day, dealing with the business.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

^^

If that's true, that's kinda sad. It means from way back when, Axl always looked at it like a job.

If I looked at it as business, i'd be the same way. I'd rather go to work for 8 hours every other night, or every three days, during those shows, than to spend 4 hours each day, every day, dealing with the business.

It's  true, I remember how Mick inspired him during their tour. That made Axl think that a band needs one leader and the others are employees only. The sad thing is that while Mick is an accountant type of guy, according to various sources, Axl is more of a Syd Barrett/Brian Wilson type. History also proved that the 'boss form' can be a great way to lead a band, but the success depends on the boss' personality.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

Sure, you can twist it either way you choose, depending on your preference...
smile

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I think it boiled down more to the irresponsibility of Slash, Izzy, Duff & Steven. While they were doing their care-free partying, and drug use, somebody had to mind the fence and that guy was Axl. And he's still doing it in 2010.

Is what it is.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I think it didn't matter at all what the others did or did not do. We're talking about a man who left Slash's car in the minute the guy said it wasn't nice to shout his grandma to fuck off. Axl is a control freak, but unfortunately while he can control, he cannot lead a band.

Board footer