You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Avenged Sevenfold

metallex78 wrote:

Bought the self-titled album today, and I think Ax7 hve become my favourite new band. Awesome stuff!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Hmm..i'm the same got city of evil a few years back when someone on here said they were the new GNR, didn't really get into it. But digging that track you posted...and now checking them out....

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

The best tracks off City if Evil are Beast & the Harlot, Bat Country and Seize The Day, which I think were the singles that were released anyway. I can kinda hear GN'R influence, but it's not that obvious. I think it's more to do with their epic kinda vision in some songs. I mean, they could be a pretty straight up metal band, but they add some strange twists in their songs, which sounds like something UYI-CD era GN'R would do.

Their self titled album has like 5 killer songs in a row, followed by some other fairly solid tunes, but the last two tracks take a left turn. A Little Piece Of Heaven sounds like a polka tune in parts! And the last track Dear God is Ax7 doing country.

I got a copy of a DVD of theirs Live at the LBC which was taken from the tour before the new album came out, and that's kinda what has gotten me really into them over the last few weeks. I strongly urge you to check it out Monkey! I could make a copy for you if you like?

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

And what's great too, is that I picked up the self-titled album for only $10, as it was on sale!
Best $10 I've spent in years!

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

The best tracks off City if Evil are Beast & the Harlot, Bat Country and Seize The Day, which I think were the singles that were released anyway. I can kinda hear GN'R influence, but it's not that obvious. I think it's more to do with their epic kinda vision in some songs. I mean, they could be a pretty straight up metal band, but they add some strange twists in their songs, which sounds like something UYI-CD era GN'R would do.

Their self titled album has like 5 killer songs in a row, followed by some other fairly solid tunes, but the last two tracks take a left turn. A Little Piece Of Heaven sounds like a polka tune in parts! And the last track Dear God is Ax7 doing country.

I got a copy of a DVD of theirs Live at the LBC which was taken from the tour before the new album came out, and that's kinda what has gotten me really into them over the last few weeks. I strongly urge you to check it out Monkey! I could make a copy for you if you like?

Did you get the CD of b-sides that comes with the DVD?  Some of their best are on there, this is one of my faves

Dadud
 Rep: 14 

Dadud wrote:

Tension was my favorite off the Diamonds in the Rough/Live in the LBC cd.

Girl i Know is pretty good too.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

There are some songs of theirs I really like once they got past their screamo phase (Sidewinder, Trashed and Scattered, Afterlife, Gunslinger) but I don't like any of their albums front to back. The drumming was always too busy for me and sometimes they get kinda cheesy, and while M. Shadows has his moments he's very far from my favorite rock singer.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Not a huge fan of their guitar tone. And their lyrics can be pretty corny at times. But there's something there, I can't quite place it.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
Rex wrote:

Did you get the CD of b-sides that comes with the DVD?  Some of their best are on there, this is one of my faves

Nah, my mate copied the DVD video footage for me, but as soon as I track down a copy to buy, I will. Those tracks you posted sound pretty good. Thanks for the heads up.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

That sounds like it would be worth checking out...that way i'll be ready for Soundwave.

Been listening to the self titled album a lot this week. I blame you entirely for this development wink

For some years now I've been stuck on older bands (GNR, Megadeth etc) and havn't really got into the new generation of bands too much...but this one might be the first I think. I find them sort of wierd..like bits I love, then there's bits that are kind of WTF moment...like a sudden use of autotune on the vocals..randomly at the end of the song and other sort of experimental ideas.

Some of the melodies are really strange too...really cool and memorable but dot always do what you expect. I hear a spot of metallica, medadeth and a bunch of stuff in there and some of the lyrical concepts remind me of Axl - like call and response lyrics with himseld and that kind of thing. Seems pretty cool.

I agree that the drumming is busy...it's right on the threshold of what I like. I enjoy big epic drums - but some bands do that thing where the drummer smacks everything every beat in some kind of time divorsed from the guitars and it makes me hit stop. Thus is the level just before that i think...where there's interesting things doing on drumwise but it's not destroying the song.

Board footer