You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Avenged Sevenfold

metallex78 wrote:

I did a quick search to see if there were any existing Ax7 threads, and there weren't any, so I thought I'd start one, as I'm just starting to really get into the band.

I bought City of Evil years ago, and kinda dismissed it after a few listens, as I didn't really get what they were going for. But now I've come back to it and I'm actually digging it, and I'm starting to delve into their catalogue and finding other great stuff too.

I absolutely love the song Almost Easy, and it's probably my favourite at the moment, just a great kick ass hard rock tune.
[youtube]Fi_GN1pHCVc&ob=av2n[/url]
[/youtube]
The video is a bit cheesy, but the song pumps me up!

Any other fans here?

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Some of M. Shadows vocals sound a bit Axl like at times, and the band has some GN'R-esque stylings in their diversity. I hear some Metallica chugging guitar in there too, which I really dig as well.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Some of M. Shadows vocals sound a bit Axl like at times, and the band has some GN'R-esque stylings in their diversity. I hear some Metallica chugging guitar in there too, which I really dig as well.

If Metallica and GNR had a love child this band would be it. 

Saw them opening for Disturbed a couple weeks ago.  It was a badass show.  They should be headlining that tour, not Disturbed.  Disturbed were hands down the worst live disappointment I have ever seen.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Saikin wrote:

That's a bold statement.

This is one of those bands I just never got into. Not really a big fan of new rock. About three or four years ago I listened to whatever album they had out at the time and didn't really like it.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

They seem to have a mix of a lot of different bands. They have some Iron Maiden duel guitars stuff going on, the heaviness and aggressiveness of Pantera, but they also have some nice melodies, vocal harmonies, and keyboard in there too.

Some songs are great, and some not so great, but the great ones outweigh the ones that aren't so good.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

I'll probably get flack for this, but I even hear a bit of Bucket/Bumble in some of the soloing.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Saikin wrote:

That's a bold statement.

Not really a bold statement because I made no judgment call on if that's good or bad. 

I don't think it's a good thing all the time in fact.  Because some of their stuff sounds like they are just trying to be either Metallica or GNR.  Listen to Buried Alive.  It sounds like a lesser Metallica song.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, I definitely hear Metallica in there, but I don't think that's a bad thing. I think it's good that there are some new rock bands out that are influenced by Metallica and GN'R.

Ax7 are definitely a solid band, and I can see longevity in them too, as they're all great musicians too. I don't know what will happen now they're drummer has passed away, but hopefully they'll continue on, with Mike Portnoy or whoever.

I'm really looking forward to seeing them live next year in Australia too.
They're playing at Soundwave Festival, which also features Iron Maiden, and Slash on the bill. Maybe M. Shadows will play with Slash on Nothing To Say during his set.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Saikin wrote:

That's a bold statement.

Not really a bold statement because I made no judgment call on if that's good or bad. 

I don't think it's a good thing all the time in fact.  Because some of their stuff sounds like they are just trying to be either Metallica or GNR.  Listen to Buried Alive.  It sounds like a lesser Metallica song.

Buried Alive is one of the best songs off the new album.  I get an old school vibe from it but I don't get that their trying to be Metallica.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
Saikin wrote:

[Listen to Buried Alive.  It sounds like a lesser Metallica song.

I had a listen, and you're right, there are bits that sound very Metallica-ish, but it still sounds like Ax7, and it's still a great song.

And I dig Metallica anyway, so maybe I'm a bit biased anyway...:haha:

Board footer