You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Duff Joining GNR (Oct 14, 2010) was awesome but dumb

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Best thing would be to put in a clause that if the new album isn't released within 18 months of the end of the instrumentals then ownership of the recordings reverts to the band and they can finish it as they wish. Tipping Axl wouldn't go for that though.

haha, it'll be completely on Axl's terms. Remember, the boneheads signed their rights to the name to him. So when "Guns N' Roses" appears on a record contract, you might as well just substitute "Axl Rose" in there because that's really what it is at the end of the day. He gets the money from the record company to record and then he pays his hired Guns to record and tour with him on his terms and no one else's. If anyone thinks Slash could put aside his ego to be a hired Gun in Axl's band, I've got oceanfront property in Arizona for sale. 22

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Best thing would be to put in a clause that if the new album isn't released within 18 months of the end of the instrumentals then ownership of the recordings reverts to the band and they can finish it as they wish. Tipping Axl wouldn't go for that though.

haha, it'll be completely on Axl's terms. Remember, the boneheads signed their rights to the name to him. So when "Guns N' Roses" appears on a record contract, you might as well just substitute "Axl Rose" in there because that's really what it is at the end of the day. He gets the money from the record company to record and then he pays his hired Guns to record and tour with him on his terms and no one else's. If anyone thinks Slash could put aside his ego to be a hired Gun in Axl's band, I've got oceanfront property in Arizona for sale. 22

It was a shitty move by Axl how he got them to sign...more like a hostile takeover.  'sign it or I cancel this tour?'  Maybe they we're thinking more about the band as a whole and not their own worthless skin...

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
mickronson wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It was a shitty move by Axl how he got them to sign...more like a hostile takeover.  'sign it or I cancel this tour?'  Maybe they we're thinking more about the band as a whole and not their own worthless skin...

Axl claims that their side of it is bullshit. So who do you trust? The crazy guy or the guys who were stoned out of their minds at the time? Axl claims the hostile takeover thing is a propaganda PR strategy from Slash over the years to gain sympathy. Regardless, you don't give up something that valuable when you created it. Axl said that if he had actually tried the hostile takeover thing, he would have lost the court battle over the years and they could have not only taken the name from him but also sued him for damages.

mickronson

mickronson wrote:

Stoned guys tend to do what you ask.. he could have asked them to suck each other off and they would do it, if they were that high...I dont think they were that high all the time however..
We'll never know really..unless you are an axlite then you know everything that went down.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
mickronson wrote:

Stoned guys tend to do what you ask.. he could have asked them to suck each other off and they would do it, if they were that high...I dont think they were that high all the time however..
We'll never know really..unless you are an axlite then you know everything that went down.

Slash portrayed himself as being pretty fucked up back then in his book and Duff almost died from drinking so much. As far as me being an Axlite goes, that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm the first person to call Axl an asshole because he is an asshole. But I'm also not foolish enough to think Slash and Duff were innocent victims. Foolish businessmen is more like it. You don't give up your rights in a situation like that, no matter what. You force the egomaniac singer to quit the band and you replace him with someone else. That is even assuming it went down like Slash claims it did. Assuming it went down like Axl says, he's been slandered for years.

mickronson

mickronson wrote:

I agree dude.. Im stoned btw..  night..

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

Im shure they (slash&duff)were compensated and had lawyers present. The deal held up in court!

Any statement from all parties must be taken with a grain of salt.
That leaves the door open for speculation. We will never know unless somone releases the actual contracts and  court documents.

I cant say i blame Axl for trying to secure his future. I also feel with the tension slash  hated what was post Lies.

Who here has never quit a job? Who here has never been frustrated to the point that it seems easier to walk away?

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

You know reading his response a little closer, I've come to the conclusion that he (Axl) is probably telling the truth.  I'm not sure I trust either of these guys as you mentioned because one group was stoned as hell and the other one is crazy.  I just wish there was some other reliable source that would provide a definitive answer.  I guess Axl's account provides a little more details (the initialing part).  I'd be really embarrased too if I just randomly signed a document without looking over it tooth and nail just because if I was high or strung out. 

They're both liars though and it makes it kinda hard to make a decision on this.  Has anyone actually backed up Slash's story?  My memory is kinda faulty on that one.

Best they can do at this point without going over into the band name/rights is to go for a reunion tour and release old stuff (live albums, bluray etc).  God knows they have a bunch of live albums stored in the vault.  Any attempts at working on new stuff would just bring up the old wounds regarding the name ownership and Axl's work ethic  and Slash's PR strategy (from Axl's POV).  Better to have just a reunion with nothing but the old stuff (AFD/Lies/UYI/UYII) than to have them reform and then break up because of old tension.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Best they can do at this point without going over into the band name/rights is to go for a reunion tour and release old stuff (live albums, bluray etc).  God knows they have a bunch of live albums stored in the vault.  Any attempts at working on new stuff would just bring up the old wounds regarding the name ownership and Axl's work ethic  and Slash's PR strategy (from Axl's POV).  Better to have just a reunion with nothing but the old stuff (AFD/Lies/UYI/UYII) than to have them reform and then break up because of old tension.

But here's the question, what do we as fans really want? I really want a reunion because I was too young to see them in their heyday and I really want the reunion to have proper song execution. As we know, Axl's getting up there in age and with his singing style, God only knows how long his voice will hold out. He sounds incredible right now, so the question is what do you want him using his voice for? A reunion tour or new recording with his current band? I am torn on this issue. Like I said, I never got to see them back in the day so I would love the chance to see them. But at the same time, Axl is still talented as hell and it would be interesting to see what kind of new material he can come up with.

I probably lean towards reunion because studio technology will allow Axl to do a lot of stuff even after his voice is shot whereas he only has so much time left as a live performer, at least with regard to his current singing style. A reunion for 2-3 years of nostalgia touring and then everyone going their separate ways with the hatchet buried would be cool in my book. Axl would be able to still pull off some great vocals in the studio with how good the technology is today.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Ideally, I'd like to see him release new material (or just empty the CD vaults) and then reunite for a cash grab tour with the old guys.  I never saw them either in their prime, so I'd be excited to see them.

The problem in releasing new material is that he just takes forever to complete an album.  Part of it is the name thing where he has ultimate control and has final say on most things; the other part is that he is a perfectionist and has to tweak everything.

In an ideal world, he'd be releasing albums every few years and touring to support that material.  I think fans would be a little less critical if he just increased his musical output.  They'd talk a bit more about this new material and less about the original stuff.  He had at least 70 songs for the cd sessions allegedly.

Board footer