You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Music Industry on verge of major collapse

monkeychow wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:
russtcb wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I agree music has lived for generations long before there was business. But I think we will re-enter the age of poor quality sounding recordings!! As everything turns 128 bit mastered from a windows sound recorder 16bit capture of a $10 Ebay guitar amp wink

I disagree. With high quality "home studios" available in every price range, there's be no shortage high quality stuff available.

I agree with Russ, more musicians can and will go the home studio route and it sounds just as professional as if it was mixed and mastered in a "professional" studio so not only will the record co's take a hit, the studios out there could as well.

I disagree. I do a lot of my own recording at home, and while it sounds cool compared to like the old tape-based recording stuff of the past....i think you can always hear a difference when something has been progessionally mixed and mastered. We might have some of the gear - but not the training - theres a real talent to mastering something properly.

Then again maybe my pc gear and I just suck.

I mean stuff sounds cool that i hear out there...but i don't think it sounds as cool as like a real cd from a high end studio does.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Since there won't be big money in just marketing some pre-made, pre-researched phony music act, we'll see a lot more people making music for the love of it.

That will be a good thing i must agree. I'm so over seeing talentless goodlooking people auto-tune singing to songs written by others.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

dropping prices of cd's would be a big step

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

i dunno. special tickets with onlkine codes for exclusive merch or presales for other artists on the label. There are prolly tons of things they could do to help boost sales....but to get peopel  to buy the damn things in the first place you gotta start somewhere, and cheaper disks is a good start...tell me how is it that some cds can sell for $7.99 or even 5.99 then newer cd's cost as much as 19.99-24.99 .... i didnt realize that new music costs more to press than an older album

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I think they should just let it collapse and try to start over somehow. The main players in the industry obviously aren't smart enough to ensure its future. It may already be too late for a price cut. They've alienated the public for too long with high priced cds and picking and choosing people to sue while tons of others never get in trouble.

Should try a price cut anyways and see if it works.

The ceiling for a blockbuster cd is now only about 3 million. It never rises above that. In most cases it doesn't even come close.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

I think they should just let it collapse and try to start over somehow. The main players in the industry obviously aren't smart enough to ensure its future. It may already be too late for a price cut. They've alienated the public for too long with high priced cds and picking and choosing people to sue while tons of others never get in trouble.

Should try a price cut anyways and see if it works.

The ceiling for a blockbuster cd is now only about 3 million. It never rises above that. In most cases it doesn't even come close.

Yeah, they're screwed. They ripped people off in the 80's and 90's with CD's. Technology caught up to them and they didn't handle it very well. They made their bed long ago and now they're laying in it. Payback is a bitch. Consumers are saving money now after they ripped us off for years.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

a major music retailer up here is severly cutting back, closing alot of stores in January i guess

and yesterday i happend to go in to one and 30% off everything! the place was fucking packed! anyway i asked the dude why they were closing...he said Walmart and the Internet, but yet a sale clears the place out in a couple weeks of all stock....like duh! think about it jackasses roll

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer