You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Those VR auditions...

Smoking Guns wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

The UK guy is better than the AFD guy. Better singer and in better shape. Better at the moves as well. That SCOM clip you posted is pretty awful. Now this is damn good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSPI2vVc80o

Pretty fucking good... Maybe that guy is better on the high notes, the other guy better on the low note?

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

The UK guy is better than the AFD guy. Better singer and in better shape. Better at the moves as well. That SCOM clip you posted is pretty awful. Now this is damn good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSPI2vVc80o

Pretty fucking good... Maybe that guy is better on the high notes, the other guy better on the low note?

Not so sure about that. I'll look around to see if there's a decent quality "It's So Easy" by the UK guy. That's the song that I've always felt showed how great Axl's range was.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

Gavin Rosdale anyone? He'd be good wouldn't he !!!! Jesus no one thought of that yet,... wtf!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Who is that?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Regarding the tribute thing. I dunno back in 2000 or so I liked tribute bands heaps just cos GNR wasn't active, slash was in snakepit2 or pre-VR and it seemed the old songs were lost....and like those songs are born to be played up real loud live - so i was into GNR cover bands then. But these days when u have the slash solo act and a new GNR both doing 'covers' of the original tunes I see the need less.

The problem also is axl brings a lot to the table. There's:

1. Timbre and Power - Rasp and interesting tone in voice - huge sounding power
2. Range - Can sing very low and VERY high
3. Lyrics - deeper than many
4. Attitude and Presence - he just has that 'danger' about him - call him an ashole or whatever but he has a real rock magic to him on stage.
5. Musical ability - he writes great vocal melodies/hooks

What you find is that most singers have one or two - or maybe three of these qualities - it's hard to find all of them.

Example Myles can hit the high and low notes, but doesn't do it with the sense of danger or tone that Axl does. Scot has kinda a stage presence (even though he's a bit of a tool) and writes good hooks but he can't sing anywhere near as high etc

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Agreed. Power can be very difficult. It's tricky, you can hold notes and for long periods like Axl, but are you really putting it through to the audience with your voice or are you just amplifying it with a mic?

You gotta have real - raw power.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

Gavin Rosdale anyone? He'd be good wouldn't he !!!! Jesus no one thought of that yet,... wtf!

Board footer