You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Patience ripped off from Tesla?

faldor wrote:

Just getting caught up on listening to Eddie Trunk's Sirius/XM show from this past week and Steven Adler called in to speak his mind on this subject.  He said it was a ridiculous claim, though he did say the guys in Tesla were great guys and they were a good band.  But he said that "Patience" was written by Izzy in 1982/83 when Tesla wasn't even a "sparkle in their daddy's eyes".  He had been fired up about it ever since.  Speaking in more detail about the "Throw Down" between "Signs" and "Patience", Steven joked, "Signs wasn't even their song.  Talk about stealing songs".  He said they had never even met the guys in Tesla at the time, even though they were label mates, and they had only heard their first album, which he described as a "great record".

Later, they touched on the reunion subject, as always.  Eddie said that the episode of "That Metal Show" with Slash is going to air in a couple of weeks.  Steven was surprised and excited that he did the show and joked, "now you gotta get that jackass Axl to do your show.  He's next".  Eddie told him that they talked about Steven during the show.  Slash said that the reason that Steven is so amped up about the possibility of a GNR reunion is because he left the band before things got so "fucking insane".  Steven joked that things were insane from day one. 

Eddie asked him what he thought about Duff playing with Guns recently and Steven said he thought it was "AWESOME!"  And how he hoped that would bring things one step closer to a reunion.  Ending his thoughts with, "it makes me nuts, that's all I have to say.  Those guys make me nuts". 

Then he went on to talk about working on new music with Adler's Appetite with Fred Coury producing and how excited he is about that.  Eddie talked to Fred for a bit , who was in the studio with Steven at the time, and asked him if Steven was driving him nuts yet.  He said, "of course".  Fred said he was a little hesitant to join forces with Steven until he heard the music, then he was fully on board.

I love Steven's open honesty.  You can't help but pull for the guy.  Even though he seems to stick his foot in his mouth half the time, that's just who he is and I think that's probably why he gets away with it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It'll eventually happen, even if it is a one-off. Everyone knows it depends on what second of the day you ask Axl as to how much he hates Slash.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

It'll eventually happen, even if it is a one-off. Everyone knows it depends on what second of the day you ask Axl as to how much he hates Slash.

I'd say the Activision lawsuit is another 100 steps back.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … nt=Twitter
TESLA's HANNON Says He Was 'Just Joking' When He Accused GUNS N' ROSES Off Ripping His Band Off - Dec. 6, 2010
On December 3, TESLA guitarist Frank Hannon went on the air on Santa Rosa, California's 101.7 The Fox radio station inside the "Less Is More Lounge" to clarify comments he made during a recent episode of VH1 Classic's "That Metal Show" when accused GUNS N' ROSES of ripping off an early TESLA track for the GN'R classic "Patience". Watch video footage of his appearance below.

TESLA and GUNS N' ROSES were both signed to Geffen Records by the label's then-A&R executive Tom Zutaut. TESLA's debut album, "Mechanical Resonance", came out in 1986, while GUNS N' ROSES' first LP, "Appetite For Destruction", followed a year later.

Hannon's original accusation came during a debate over whether or not "Patience" was a better acoustic "hard rock" song than TESLA's "Signs". He said on "That Metal Show", "Let me tell you something: 'Patience'... We were labelmates with GUNS N' ROSES on Geffen. There's a demo of a song that we wrote called 'Better Off Without You'. It is 'Patience' note for note . . . I don't know if they ripped us off or Tom Zutaut or Geffen or somebody passed them the tape."

In response, former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash wrote on his Facebook page, "I heard that one of the guys from TESLA claimed GN'R stole 'Patience' from them. I'm assuming he's smoking super crack. Or dreaming out loud . . . I didn't hear the actual interview so I won't jump to conclusions based on hearsay. I'll just make emotiphants!"

In the meantime, Hannon took to TESLA's official forum to clarify the comments he made on "That Metal Show", explaining, "The demo of 'Better Off Without You' I was talking about is an acoustic guitar version we did live at the Oasis Ballroom in 1985 that Geffen Records had on a 'live' cassette tape of a show we played. They did make some copies of it with labels on them and handed them out to people before we made our first album. If anyone can find one, that would be awesome. I was not talking about the piano version that's floating around on a bootleg.

"Also, for the record: 'Better Off Without You' is a song in 'D' and it does the 'D/F#-to-G' chord change in it. This is also the same type of change that GN'R used at the end of 'Patience' and also the same change that John Lennon uses in 'Imagine'...

"I do not seriously feel that we wrote 'Patience' in ANY WAY.

"The song 'Patience' is a great song that they [GUNS N' ROSES] wrote themselves, and it is only the end part that has any similar part to the guitar chords we used.

"I apologize for any controversy or disrespect I may have projected in my joking around with Eddie Trunk ['That Metal Show' co-host] about this."

[youtube]7z3P2HbnbbU&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
[youtube]06M0yW0Ni24&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

First video: They should have released that song!

Second video: was memory lane. I know the words and the cords. I  really forgot how much I was in to them way back.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

You know, I always loved Tesla and GNR.  I thought they were similar to each other, not really 'hair metal' or 'heavy metal', just good ole american hard rock.  Frank is a KILLER player.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

yeah he is pretty damn good...looks alot different than he used to though

anyway a D to G chord change isnt anything new..and it wasnt new in 1988 either

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

No, but the D to D/F# to G change is a little less common.

And did anybody catch the discrepancy in the story, even from Duff's account?

Frank cleared it up, so it really doesn't matter, but the accusation was that Guns stole Tesla's song while they were label mates. In Duff's story there, he says they got signed in 86, and also wrote the song in 86. Haven't I seen a video of Patience live from 85?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
dr_love6977 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

No, but the D to D/F# to G change is a little less common.

yeah i guess so

doesnt axl say in the cbgb show that its the 2nd time they've ever played patience and first time ever live? That was Oct 30, 1987

nugdafied wrote:

I still suspect that somewhere along the line, a manager or producer or whoever lifted the idea and let GnR use it. I think Izzy wrote the first part of Patience, but the ending was added on long after the fact. There's just too many coincidences in the story for someone to have not heard the Tesla song and thought the it would be a perfect way to end Patience.

Board footer