You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Axl's net worth...

misterID wrote:

This probably has a lot to do with investments. Mcartney owns a LOT of other peoples publishing, too. He's the one who told MJ to do the same... and he bought his music. 16

Paul own the rights to happy Birthday and I hear makes a lot of money off that. I wouldn't doubt Axl made some wise investments over the years.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Also..that bumble joke might have been a joke about Azoff saying Axl owes him comission for the asian tour or whatever their lawsuit was about. Or that leeds fine.

Maybe that's why it was a joke, not cos Axl doesn't have money but because people are always demanding he pay them.

I wouldn't know either way, but with wise investments I'd say it's not beyond the realm of possibility that he could have the sums in this thread.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Also..that bumble joke might have been a joke about Azoff saying Axl owes him comission for the asian tour or whatever their lawsuit was about. Or that leeds fine.

Maybe that's why it was a joke, not cos Axl doesn't have money but because people are always demanding he pay them.

I wouldn't know either way, but with wise investments I'd say it's not beyond the realm of possibility that he could have the sums in this thread.

Well, yeah, that sounds possible too...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Aussie wrote:

^ I thought Axl sold his publishing rights to Sanctuary?

He did but I doubt that would be an outright sale.

Usually in a publishing deal the publisher gets a cut of royalities, something like 20-30% while the artist keeps the rest. The publisher justifies getting that percentage as in theory they get the songs published more than the artist would alone (ie, synced with movies, better mechanisms to collect from other publishing uses). And they also usually sweeten the deal by giving an artist an upfront sum of money as an advance on the income.

So it's likely that $20m or whatever it was the other year was just what they paid to become the publisher and get their cut, paid to axl as an advance over a certain number of years, it doesn't necessarily mean he no longer makes income from the songs as well.

I guess it's possible it was an outright sale, but we don't know that.

Axl LICENSED his share of the publishing to Sanctuary (which is now UMG I believe) for 20 yrs. / $20 million. He still owns all outlying rights to the music, and after 20 years the license expires, and it all reverts back to him or his estate.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Do we know the terms of the license though? Was it 100% of his stake or only some of it?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I think axl owned the publishing rights to gnr and he pays royalties to Slash, Duff and maybe Izzy for their respective portions (Axl 45%, Slash 20%, Izzy 20%, Duff 15%) something like that cant remember the actual numbers, if someon ehas that breakdown post it up, i cant find it

anyway Axl get the check and then he pays someone to pay the other guys their cut...

anyway publishing deal just means that Sanctualy (now by default UMG)  get a cut out of anything by GnR that get put out anywhere...i think, i'm by no means an expert

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Do we know the terms of the license though? Was it 100% of his stake or only some of it?

The terms of the license specifically stated that it was only Axl's portion of the royalities, they get a cut of. Slash, Izzy & Duff get their respective cuts too.

And like I said, Axl still retains say so over usage.

I don't think Axl handles distributing royalties any longer, at least for the next 20 years. It's handled by an agency (forget the name).

Board footer