You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Axl Rose Suing Activision / Guitar Hero

buzzsaw wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Sorry! Couldn't help myself!)

Is that really the only pic of them all together off stage??

It's the only one I've ever seen, and it isn't even covering the current band.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Axl has no right to attempt to interfere or demand a say over the    commercial activities and agreements between Activision and a completely seperate band to whom he has no link.

I'm pretty sure similar deals like that happen all the time in various markeds.

For exampel: a little while ago I watched a documentary on fastfood in US schools. If a school signed a deal with one softdrink maker they could only sell drinks from that specific brand.

Here in Norway there was a similar case where a cheesemaking company tried to deter a chain of stores from selling a spesific cheese from another company.

Whether or not GNR has a rock solid case is another thing. Especially if the agreements are made on a "he-said-she-said-then-he-came-and-cried-for-forgiveness"-type level...
smile

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Great mail Mole.. and great analysis of the situation!!!

It really boils down to this for me:

- Slash wrote, recorded, toured and discussed WTTJ for over a decade as a the lead guitar player in GNR.

- He is still famous for his work in GNR.

- As a co-writer of the song, has a as much of a right to make money off of his body of work as Axl.

- Axl has no right to attempt to interfere or demand a say over the    commercial activities and agreements between Activision and a completely seperate band to whom he has no link.
- To the general public this looks like a three year late, desperate attempt to siphon cash from a franchise the 'GNR Business Team'  (note the inverted commas) completely underestimated in terms of its potential global success, subsequent revenue generation and global reinvigoration of the 'Slash Brand'.

-The lawsuit is poorly written and instead of sticking to the partciulars of the contracts as drafted and signed, it degenerates into rants and deluted platitudes about the song itself.

- Axl's lack of grace and inability to 'build a bridge' is all very old now for everybody.

The bolded part is the only thing that matters as far as I'm concerned.  I see absolutely no way Activision said no to having Slash in the game or allowing VR to have any content in it, then feature Slash and allow more than one VR song on top of it.  No way that happened.  They didn't take their first stab at having a whole game of actual band's versions of the songs and abused it to that level.  I can see pushing the envelope down the road, but not on their first attempt. Why risk the entire future of the game on the most crazy person they are going to work with in Axl?  It makes no sense at all.

Either the Malibu mafia misinformed Axl of the agreement to get the song on the album (so they could get the money), or some low level guy at activision said "yeah, whatever" in some stage of the negotiations.  I'm sure there was ultimately a contract written up and no mention of this.  If it was as important as Axl is now claiming it was, I'm sure he wouldn't have signed it without it being there.

All of this does make me question how much money Axl actually has.  Everything he's doing reeks of cash grab...at some point you have to start figuring that's exactly what it is.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Sorry! Couldn't help myself!)

Is that really the only pic of them all together off stage??

It's the only one I've ever seen, and it isn't even covering the current band.

As far as I know! Sadly!

buzzsaw wrote:

it isn't even covering the current band.

The challange mentioned nothing of it having to be the current lineup!
wink

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I still disagree that it would be a cash grab.

Law suits often take years to solve, and if he looses then he could loose big money too.

There's just so many better ways Axl could make money. I mean i bet he gets a ton of publishing requests that he declines. If he's so broke, all he'd have to do is approve some lame-ass uses of the bands music (eg commercials etc) and he'd be cashed up. Or he could keep playing those millon dollar private gigs. Or do some other kind of endorsment or apperance. Or put out some kind of limited product - god knows there's a ton of proshot shit lying aorund isn't there? GNR has fans that offer thousands for a stolen bootleg. There's crazies that will pay a lot to have stuff. There's no doubt way better ideas than these out there too. The point is all of this stuff WILL make money, whereas a lawsuit of this kind MIGHT make money but if it doesn't it will fuck you. Not to mention the bad media and emotional strain.

It just doesn't make sence for it to be a cash grab to me. But if you guys are right and i'm wrong and it is, then let's hope it's to fund CD2 smile smile smile

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

How is he going to lose money?  He has a legal team on retainer...he may as well just purchase a law firm at the rate he's going.  I'm sure it didn't cost him a dime to file the suit.  It looks like a 12 year old wrote the actual suit...maybe he used legal zoom and had Beta fill in the blanks.

The cash grab is to keep the Malibu mafia alive.  Axl is MC Hammer all over again.  He paid musicians for years to do nothing.  He is surrounded by leeches.  The ONLY thing Axl has put any effort into protecting is Slash having anything to do with GnR.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

If he's so broke, all he'd have to do is approve some lame-ass uses of the bands music (eg commercials etc)

Like this one??

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I still can't believe that it's absolutely normal and acceptable move on Axl's part for some here, that he wanted to avoid the presence of the man, who wrote the actual song, in the game.
It's not like Coke not wanting something to do with Pepsi. When did Pepsi make the most famous Coca-Cola products? It's like having a Warhol exhibition, but you are not allowed to mention the name Warhol. BAT SHIT CRAZY.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

There's just so many better ways Axl could make money. I mean i bet he gets a ton of publishing requests that he declines.

Ax doesn't control his share of the publishing rights. Uni does, following their buyout of Sanctuary.

buzzsaw wrote:

The cash grab is to keep the Malibu mafia alive.

I liken most GNR activity aside recording and performance to the Malibu Mafia. Too bad most of that is negative.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Ax doesn't control his share of the publishing rights. Uni does, following their buyout of Sanctuary.

Are you sure? Normally when someone licenses rights like Axl did they maintain approval/rejection rights over specific uses like syncs to movies/films and so on, despite the profits going to the publisher.

If not, the sanctuary deal was done circa 2005 I think, so why was Axl giving approval for Jungle to be used in GH3 circa 2007? I'm almost certain he'd still have say so about what gets the use of his music.

buzzsaw wrote:

How is he going to lose money?

If he doesn't win against Activision, he could be ordered to pay their court costs, not just the trial but prep for the trial too. Given activision is a big company , i'd guess with  hotshot lawyers, if the whole matter draggs on a bit that could run into the millions itself or at least hundreds of thousands.

Mikkamakka wrote:

It's not like Coke not wanting something to do with Pepsi. When did Pepsi make the most famous Coca-Cola products?

You might have me on that one 16

Board footer