You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: Axl Rose Suing Activision / Guitar Hero

jamester wrote:
mickronson wrote:

So record WTTJ with [insert guitarist name here] and make anyone in future use that as the defacto version of.

Did that already!  18

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

oh..? sorry, I dont follow video games.  Well to me, in future, for a song like WTTJ, Axl can eat fuckin crow for the rest of his life, its a Slash song as much as his, deal with it.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
mickronson wrote:

So record WTTJ with [insert guitarist name here] and make anyone in future use that as the defacto version of.

Yeah i'm sure it would have crossed his mind....lol...of course the problem is....I think he shares the publishing rights with the AFD band.

So while Axl hasn't happy approving WTTJ with Slash for use in Guitar Hero....you can bet your ass Slash would be failing to approve  Jungle featuring blumblefoot overdubed over his parts ending up in a game.

Same thing I think. Slash can't stop Axl re-recording and releasing any of his songs, but he can stop them being syncronised with movies and stuff.

It would be nice if they could just meet up and have a beer, or a soda-water or whatever and forget all this bullshit sometimes huh. But I guess that's fantasy world. Just makes me sad sometimes. I love the new band as deeply as anyone...but sometimes when i think about how good Axl and Slash are together..you sort of think...what put that voice with that singer in the first place...it's like an act of god or something. You could wander the earth several times over looking for band mates and not run into dudes with that much tallent. So it's sad that it's become this nasty thing.

This is getting off topic. But I sort of wish we knew more about axl's side of things. I was thinking about his comment about how "One man has made it the case" or whatever it was.

Who knows if he is right or wrong, but I was thinking him saying that almost implies that he offered Slash something once and it wasn't acceptable.

For the record I'm not taking either Axl or Slash's side...love both of their music....I'm just saying....sometimes I wonder.

jamester

jamester wrote:
mickronson wrote:

oh..? sorry, I dont follow video games.  Well to me, in future, for a song like WTTJ, Axl can eat fuckin crow for the rest of his life, its a Slash song as much as his, deal with it.

Sorry I was referencing yet to be released the re-recorded AFD tracks form 01 lineup. 22

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Are you guys talking about Axl doing something with AFD like Ozzy did with his first 2 albums a few years back?

What was that? I only follow Ozzy casually...did he re-record them?

jamester

jamester wrote:

The Ozzman Cometh is a compilation album by Ozzy Osbourne released in 1997. It is his second greatest hits collection (The first being Ten Commandments  released in 1990 and now out of print) and its initial, limited edition 2 CD pressing contained five previously unreleased songs. Versions released in 2002 and later copies of this compilation have only one disc, and "Shot in the Dark" is replaced by "Miracle Man". This was due to a legal action brought about by the song's co-writer, Phil Soussan, for unpaid royalties.

Note on versions post-2002: The album tracks are from the 2002 remasters, for which Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman were partially re-recorded. The original drum and bass tracks were replaced with recordings by Osbourne's current lineup, as a management response to legal action by original bassist Bob Daisley and drummer Lee Kerslake for unpaid royalty fees. Note also the deliberate mis-spelling of Daisley's and Soussan's names in this CD's sleeve notes: 'Bob Daisy', 'Bill Susan' The tracks from Bark at the Moon are the original recordings, though with some remixing changes that are of questionable integrity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ozzman_Cometh

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:
Neemo wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

They got permission to use WTTJ, they got permission to use slash's likeness, that is all they needed.  It does not matter that a slash avatar is playing WTTJ, they got permission to use the song did they not?

but if axl made it a condition that the song was not to be used in conjunction with ex gnr members in any way then Activision still used slash;s likeness to promote the song then it becomes an issue

depends where publishing rights come into play...if axl soley owns publishing rights then it doesnt matter what slash wrote

depends if this was a verbal agreement or not as well...if axl doesnt have anythign in writing he may be SOL

Didnt Axl claim it was a verbal agreement and not in writing? If so, its he said she said thing.  If Axl does not have it in writing or in audio form, then he has zero case. I also wonder why it took him to so long to file and not right when the game came out.

That's right, apparently the queen of business acumen said that she was verbally given assurances of things.  Remember these are some of the choice quotes from the lawsuit document:

Riley sought to reassure Rose, through his representative Beta Lebeis, that in no uncertain terms, if given the authorisation to use Welcome to the Jungle in GH III, no VR related material would be included and no Slash imagery would be used at all, let alone in association with Guns N' Roses and Welcome to the Jungle.

In numerous conversations occuring in May of 2007, Riley reassured and represented that none of the rumours Rose was reading on the internet regarding the planned use of Slash and VR in GH III were true. For example, in one conversation Riley flatly denied the rumours stating "Come on Beta, you know you can't believe everything you read on the internet".

While the form and substance of these conversations may have occasionally varied the central message and operative language used did not.  Riley "guaranteed" that provided Rose agreed to approve Activision's use of "Welcome to the Jungle", there would be no use of Welcome to the Jungle and no VR in GH III.

On February 14th 2010 Guns N' Roses played a Valentines Show at The Rose Bar at the Gramercy Park Hotel in New York city.  Tim Riley from Activison was in attendance and approached Rose after the show.  In tears, he apologized for the way in which Rose and Guns N' Roses had been mistreated by Activision.  He said "I can't sleep at night" and asked Rose to forgive him.

Activision may very well have said these things verbally so should be held accountable if they did.  But if Beta and co. were stupid enough not to get critical points like this in writing then you would think they are going to be pushing shit up hill to win this.

jamester

jamester wrote:

aussie do you still have the .pdf? it was removed some time ago.  I think there was mention of emails to be used as evidence.

ppp

ppp wrote:

As you may recall, the whole case with Irv Azoff is based on an alleged verbal agreement he had with Axl over his commission. Verbal agreements are pretty enforcable in CA (where these suits are going on) as long as you can prove they existed, which is usually done by witnesses.

Board footer