You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Re: Axl Rose Suing Activision / Guitar Hero

Intercourse wrote:

has Axl anyone else left to alienate himself against?

- ex band members 17
- ex managers neutral
- ex lovers roll
- concert promoters hmm
- fans in St. Louis, Montreal, Vancouver and Philly. 2
- music magazine writers wink
- authors of music books wink
- Radio DJs roll
- video game companies roll
- airport security smile
- fan site hosts and the communities who offer criticism 4
- Swedish hotel security guards 16
- Bentley leasing companies 10
- fashion designers 9

he makes Scott Weiland look like Nelson Freakin' Mandella!!!!

NUTS!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Wheels turn slow in legal matters, that it takes a couple of years to file a case about something of this magnitude doesn't surprise me.

Also, I doubt he'd be doing it because he's short on cash, it's not like Activision doesn't have the bucks to defend, it could get VERY expensive making a claim like this. There's 100 ways Axl could make a quick buck more easily, and with less risk than filing a suit of this kind. It's not for the money IMO.

As for the issue at heart. To be honest I was a little surprised the way GH3 came out with the GNR+Slash emphasis. My surprise wasn't not because Slash doesn't deserve it - as he's a legendary guitarist - and - much as I love VR and Snakepit etc - he's really famous from those killer riffs he contributed to classic GNR. So he deserves it for sure. But it was wierd just because it's unusual these days for him to associate himself with GNR. He avoids most GNR questions, is usually introduced as VR places. But at the time this came out from the publicity you'd almost think he was back in the band. So I was a little shocked at the time that it happened...simply as I'd have thought orgiginally Axl wouldn't be impressed.

I can see both sides of it. On one hand it makes every logical sense to associate Slash with the classic GNR hits....he played them. On the other hand - I can see Axl's point too. GNR is a current business...they put out an album 2 years ago, currently on tour, and if we're honest, pretty much always battle the lineup issue with much of the fanbase and the media as it is, most articles make a comment about Axl being the last standing, even if they say the show was good. So slash who's been out of the band for 15 years or whatever..suddenly being associated with the brand via fresh saturation media coverage (and it was)...I can see why it's frustrating for Axl.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

...To be honest I was a little surprised the way GH3 came out with the GNR+Slash emphasis...

I remember also being a bit puzzled about the strong GNR+Slash connection.

All common sense in the world tells us and the avarage rock fan, that there's no problem with it. But knowing what we know about who ultimately has the final say in anything concerning GNR, I was puzzled that the game turned out the way it did.

But if Activision did Axl wrong, I can understand him reacting.

And it's far from the first time artists have complaints about these games.

Courtney Love threw a hissyfit when it became clear that you could play as Kurt Cobain and make him sing/play Bon Jovi songs (or whatever it was)

And Activision have been in several other disputes where their ways of doing buisness and treating people are questionable...

Whether or not it's a smart move on Axl's part to take a giant company like that to court, is another thing...

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Neemo wrote:

ok all that aside, i truely get what you are saying

but....

Gun N Roses as a legal entity is controlled by Axl Rose, Slash and Duff left the partnership in 1995 and 1998 respectively (or whatever cant recall the year duff left at the moment) so all decisions regarding GnR and its recordings go through Axl....including distribution of royalties and associated fees and debts that GnR has incurred right? Axl was the one left holding the ball when GnR desolved in the 90's it was his responsibility to pay back...or in this instance renegotiate all contracts, and by all accounts the recording and release of CD wasnt fun for anyone involved,

But that might not be accurate. What we discovered from the Duff & Slash vs. Axl suit was that Axl had the power to leave the band and take the name with him. In effect, he created a new partnership with him as the primary shareholder once he left. This effectively became G&R and covered all materials recorded since 1996. Remember all that discussion centered around Axl asking Slash to look over and sign documents by a certain deadline.....

However, the old partnership still exists as a legal entity and including publication rights. All three, Duff, Slash, and Axl, must agree when and where to use the old material. In effect, each has a veto vote as it was used when WTTJ was axed from Black Hawk Down.

I am utterly confused about Axl's claim that he is the majority share holder of the old catalog. That claim does not jibe with what we have read in previous suits.

In this case, if he did accept Activision's word verbally, he is screwed.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Chris Piss
 Rep: 1 

Chris Piss wrote:

Pedantic tit, thy name is Rose!

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

- ex band members 17
- ex managers neutral
- ex lovers roll
- concert promoters hmm
- Radio DJs roll
- airport security smile
- fashion designers 9

NUTS!

Soda pop companies.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Gong wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

- ex band members 17
- ex managers neutral
- ex lovers roll
- concert promoters hmm
- Radio DJs roll
- airport security smile
- fashion designers 9

NUTS!

Soda pop companies.

- police
- gays
- African Americans
- the government of China...

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

stage hands

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Maybe I'm the eternal Axl optimist, but I'm willing to bet that this is the product of someone's lawyer's, lawyer's, lawyer. Stuff can happen to where things like this occur and Axl doesn't actually know about it til it's in the press.

because it's axl, the most latigious person ever, i'd lean on that being a negative but you are correct that that is exactly how it typically works.

Board footer