You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: DUFF MCKAGAN: New VELVET REVOLVER Singer Has To Be Better Than SCOTT W

misterID wrote:

Shirley Manson.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

They are in trouble for a lot of reasons

- as Tommy Lee said years ago, VR can't choose someone unknown. They would be on entirely different levels. Slash & Co played in front of 200,000 people - the new singer could be scared of 200.

- they are basically a supergroup, which usually don't live long. In 9 of 10 cases, they would have broken up after the singer/an important member left. But it's very hard to get someone after a not successful album and years of hiatus. They can't (re)start from scratch - they have the VR identity which limits their future efforts a lot. Not to mention that the old material isn't small, yet isn't too strong either and I don't know which known singer would be interested in the Weiland-successor role.

- they can't fail with the new guy. But it makes the flow, the 'miracle' almost impossible, since they have in their minds, that it's their last chance as a band, and can seriously affect any other 'high profile' moves in the foreseeable future, be it VR or solo or anything else.

I'm not suprrised that Slash is better off with Myles. They have great chemistry, and there isn't too much pressure or band politics. VR isn't a top band in the world, but the Slash/Kennedy collabo is even smaller. They can take risks easier and can have lot more fun. Not to mention that things are really working between Salsh N' Myles, and the others are session musicians only - while in VR there is nothing concrete and there are a lot of egos.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I also cannot believe they are even bothering to revive it. Matt is forgettable, and Slash solo is basically VR without Duff.

I know they want the pay day, but i'm still the biggest supporter of them just sitting down, whatever they want to call themselves, and Slash, Izzy, Duff & Steven/Matt getting together with Izzy & Duff sharing lead vocals, and recording a Guns N' Roses-style album without Axl every few years.

Just call it "Guns", and be done with it.

Even if they got Adam Lambert to front the band, I think the VR moment was exhausted in 2004-05.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Get a known singer, replace Dave with someone that can a)contribute to the songwriting and b) have a strong enough presence among Slash, Duff, and Matt to be heard, and have a whole new band with a new name.  Ideally, the Dave replacement is Izzy, but there has to be other rhythm players that have some songwriting balls.  Dump Matt for all I care.  It's got to be different enough from VR to have any chance of having an impact.  Those 4 with 99% of the singers out there isn't going to be different enough.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Get a known singer, replace Dave with someone that can a)contribute to the songwriting and b) have a strong enough presence among Slash, Duff, and Matt to be heard, and have a whole new band with a new name.  Ideally, the Dave replacement is Izzy, but there has to be other rhythm players that have some songwriting balls.  Dump Matt for all I care.  It's got to be different enough from VR to have any chance of having an impact.  Those 4 with 99% of the singers out there isn't going to be different enough.

What about Gilby?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think Slash already went that route. I think he said even in 1994, their collabs were average at best.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I also cannot believe they are even bothering to revive it. Matt is forgettable, and Slash solo is basically VR without Duff.

That's what makes me wonder what's going on with VR generally. I think there must be some serious tension in the band for some reason - probably disagreement over myles.

As when it comes down to it. There is almost no reason that the current Slash solo run couldn't have been done as a VR exercise.

It's slash and myles with session musicians that while they kickass, no one really follows too deeply, if you add matt duff and dave there then those gigs would be VR - and what exactly are matt duff and dave doing that makes them too busy for a VR tour?

Slash said he wanted to do this solo album to drive his own train for a while or something similar. Bottom line is if there wasn't problems, I think half the songs on the current album would be VR songs, and VR would be on the road now with myles. God knows the current set has 3-4 VR tracks in. If you'd made the 2 myles songs also under the VR not solo. It's so close to VR already.

I know i'm always a myles fan boy in these threads. I just wonder. I mean i hope to god i'm wrong and they find a new axl and someone that kicks ass. But my guess is - if you find someone like myles and he still isn't good enough - that they're not going to find someone.

Axlin08 wrote:

and Slash, Izzy, Duff & Steven/Matt getting together with Izzy & Duff sharing lead vocals, and recording a Guns N' Roses-style album without Axl every few years.

I'd love to see them write with Izzy...but GNR with no lead singer would be forgettable as hell IMO. Duff only really nails that punk sound, and Izzy's a great writer, but his singing voice only suits those stones style songs to me...it's very bland. No they need a frontman. And it has to be a BIG frontman. The problem with VR previously was scott is not enough...and you're suggesting replacing him with people who are even less of a singer....I think it needs a huge vocal part up front personally.

Axlin08 wrote:

Even if they got Adam Lambert to front the band, I think the VR moment was exhausted in 2004-05.

I'm not so sure. I think Slash getting this much attention on his solo shit shows that he's never too far from the hearts of people. VR with a new kickass singer is only one monster song from replicating Slither type success, and could easily go better IMO. They just need to find the guy.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I mean i hope to god i'm wrong and they find a new axl...

You know that's impossible.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I would never want Stereophonics to quit but Kelly would sound wicked with VR. Plus he's a great songwriter and he can play the guitar. 9
[youtube]NnfH8KminEI&feature=related[/youtube]

now I'm bummed knowing it would NEVER happen cause I think it'd be amazing.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:

I would never want Stereophonics to quit but Kelly would sound wicked with VR. Plus he's a great songwriter and he can play the guitar. 9
[youtube]NnfH8KminEI&feature=related[/youtube]

now I'm bummed knowing it would NEVER happen cause I think it'd be amazing.

Yuck.

Board footer