You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: to go tonight, or not to go tonight...

metallex78 wrote:

This is quite strange for me, I'm huge GN'R fan, at least I think I am. But yet, with Sydney's gig on tonight, I find myself sitting here at home on the day of the show, without a ticket, and still contemplating on whether I go or not...

PROS:
- It's Guns N' Fucking Roses, a band who regardless of lineup changes have made music that has inspired me like no other band has (well, maybe Metallica is a close second to that!)

- The current lineup is a good as it's ever been and will put on a great show

CONS:
- The gig is combined with a V8 supercar race, and there will be a LOT of bogans out and about.

- The gig is in an outdoor football stadium, which is not exactly my ideal setting to see a band play. It's too large, and I will most probably end up watching the video screens for most of the gig, IF I go.

- The weather is pretty crap, it's only lightly raining, but they're predicting a big storm for tonight

- The bands current set hasn't been very impressive, and only a couple of new songs are being played since their 2007 Aussie tour

- I had a big night out last night, and I'm hungover as hell today. Not sure if I could put up with waiting for hours into the night to see the band play...:laugh:

So, what do all of you people think, should I go, or should I not bother?
I still can't believe I'm kinda either way about it, really...

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

2 pros 5 cons  choice is obvious!

If you were a HUGE fan this thread would be more like HAY guys im goin to GNR show tonight. I bought the best tickets I could afford. Ill update you guys via phone with setlist and pictures unless Im having to good of a time and singing along to hard !

Your first pro is heavy!

You could always watch boots. I know I wil.l I will also post them here in the tour thread. (If there are any) .....Thats not the total experience.

I would go!  At the least I would search out the decent tickets.

Yes you know how things mostly go. Yes you know what order things will likely appear. You also heard about the Tokyo show! Not likely but a possibility.

If it rains and your into it and if the band plays you get better seating cos people will leave .

if your hung over take something and a nap.

Most of your cons are excuses really.

"Your last statement I still can't believe I'm kinda either way about it, really... "
If your on the fence and need a decision flip a coin and stick with it.

Sky Dog wrote:

I say start drinking...see where your buzz goes. If you're tired, stay home. If the second day hangover buzz kicks in, give it a whirl. However, you may want to drink some form of different alcohol than you drank last night if you want to try to get some different energy.:beer:

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

^ I like madagas' idea, start drinking then see how ya feel.

Gotta say I kinda know what you mean.  Whilst I have my ticket for the Perth show, it's at a venue that is friggin way way out of the city and is in the middle of nowhere so it's going to be a mission getting there and back.  It's also in the middle of bogan country too so I think there is a high chance of drunken trouble.  Also as much as I will sound like a setlist whinger I do think about that and wonder how different the show is really going to be from the 3 I went to in 2007.

BUT it's GN'R and I know I would be disappointed after the fact if I didn't go, knowing that they were effectively playing in my backyard and missed it.

Start drinking, I'm sure that will fire you up.  I know it would for me.  As soon as I have a couple of sherberts on the day I will be all fired up for the gig.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Dude...get your ass to that gig!

You know you want to go in your heart or you wouldn't need to be justifying not going to yourself with a thread here wink

I look at it like this.

Your concerns are valid.

There WILL be tools at a V8 show, and a big stadium gig is never as cool as a real intimate show.  It's likely we could write out the setlist now with 95% accuracay. So i understand.

But then I also think, it's GNR. It's you. You pretty much need to be there. It might be an average gig. But what happens if Axl hangs it up and doesn't tour down under again? What if the band line up changes and you've never seen this band? What if this turns out to be the show where Axl does something unexpected (unlikely, but you can never rule it out either with him).

In the scheme of things it's like $100 bucks which over the course of your fandom or even a year or two of it isn't that big a deal unless you're in real hard times at the moment (which does happen I to us all).

My advice would be grab a ticket. Go take a nap now and chill a bit to recharge from last night. Show up late at the veune. Go in the frame of mind that you're not expecting too much - just a bit of atmostphere from a big crowd, mostly a video screen show and decent versions of some of the classic hits, and there's only so bad it can be, and that way you're covered.

Bottom line is - if you go and it's shit - what have you lost - $100 - and thats something you'll regret for what? A few months? But if it was good and you missed it - you'll regret that for what? Ever after!

johndivney wrote:

nah defo go man. everyone has misgivings about the new band but they still put on a great, entertaining gig that more than likely will be well worth all the BS.
they are really good live this time round.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

This is quite strange for me, I'm huge GN'R fan, at least I think I am. But yet, with Sydney's gig on tonight, I find myself sitting here at home on the day of the show, without a ticket, and still contemplating on whether I go or not...

PROS:
- It's Guns N' Fucking Roses, a band who regardless of lineup changes have made music that has inspired me like no other band has (well, maybe Metallica is a close second to that!)

- The current lineup is a good as it's ever been and will put on a great show

CONS:
- The gig is combined with a V8 supercar race, and there will be a LOT of bogans out and about.

- The gig is in an outdoor football stadium, which is not exactly my ideal setting to see a band play. It's too large, and I will most probably end up watching the video screens for most of the gig, IF I go.

- The weather is pretty crap, it's only lightly raining, but they're predicting a big storm for tonight

- The bands current set hasn't been very impressive, and only a couple of new songs are being played since their 2007 Aussie tour

- I had a big night out last night, and I'm hungover as hell today. Not sure if I could put up with waiting for hours into the night to see the band play...:laugh:

So, what do all of you people think, should I go, or should I not bother?
I still can't believe I'm kinda either way about it, really...

In the nicest way possible: SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!

Get a bite to eat (to clear your hangover). Go for a walk (to further clear your hangover) bring your iPod (or whatever you have) listen to some GNFR and see if that gets you fired up for the gig!

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Go! Who knows, when you'll get another chance to see Axl N' hear these songs live.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

So dude did you go or stay home? My facebook stalking isn't tellin me!

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

If it's not a big hassle to get there and back, I would go.  You're more of a fan of the new band than I am and I made the effort to go when they were relatively close to me (even though they cancelled).  I think there's a greater chance that you'll regret not going if you don't than you'll regret going if you do.

Board footer