You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bucketfan
 Rep: 30 

Re: Perth, Australia - December 11, 2010 (Perth Motorplex)

bucketfan wrote:

Date: December 11th, 2010
City: Perth, Australia
Venue: Perth Motorplex
Attendance: +/-15,000
Opening Acts: Korn, Shihad

Setlist:

Intro
01. Chinese Democracy
02. Welcome to the Jungle
03. It's So Easy
04. Mr. Brownstone
05. Sorry
06. Better
      Richard Fortus Guitar Solo (James Bond Theme)
07. Live and Let Die
08. This I Love
09. Rocket Queen
      Dizzy Reed Piano Solo (Ziggy Stardust)
10. Street of Dreams
11. You Could Be Mine
      DJ Ashba Guitar Solo (The Ballad of Death)
12. Sweet Child O' Mine
      Band Jam (Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2)
      Axl Rose Piano Solo (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road/Someone Saved My Life Tonight)
13. November Rain
      Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal Guitar Solo (Pink Panther Theme)
14. Knockin' on Heaven's Door
15. Whole Lotta Rosie (AC/DC cover)
16. Nightrain

Encore:
17. Don't Cry
18. Madagascar
19. Patience
20. Paradise City

bucketfan wrote:

Some pics can be found here;

http://www.perthnow.com.au/gallery-e6fr … 157?page=1

Now regarding the show I thought it was excellent, better than the 2007 concert (I can't stand Mr Finck's playing). 

Bumble, Fortus and Ashba were all at the top of their game, for me the highlights were their instrumental spots (Richard's 007 theme in particular). I wasn't sure about Ashba as I didn't know much about the guy, but his performance was impressive and he definitely knew how to work the crowd - even the Slash maniacs seemed to be impressed.

The venue was excellent and I hope we see more shows there in the future.

Tommy convinced the band to play Patience, complete with drums and an electric guitar solo - wasn't expecting that.

Seeing Axl up close and personal was a sight to behold (our seats were right next to the edge of the stage).

I couldn't help but miss Slash and Bucket, but overall I'm a very happy camper, glad I went - I almost didn't bother.

Hopefully the tour keeps going strong and you USA people get to see them soon!

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Glad you had a good time.  I can't wait for a US tour.  Though I've been saying that for years now it seems.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

^^ thanks for sharing!  Glad you got to see a show *crosses fingers* hopefully we will get one in the US soon.

jamester

jamester wrote:
bucketfan wrote:

Tommy convinced the band to play Patience, complete with drums and an electric guitar solo - wasn't expecting that.

jamester

jamester wrote:

Fan records Bumblefoot during Nightrain 3

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Thought I would post my comments on the Perth gig.

Starting with the venue.  It was heaps better than the 2007 venue sound wise.  The venue in 2007 (Bruswood Dome) is a pressured Dome and the sound is always shithouse there.  The dragstrip however was great (first major concert that I know of that they have had there).  There were also plenty of good vantage points to watch the concert from.  The only downside is it's in the middle of fucking nowhere with fuck all public transport.  Also the drink prices - fuck me $10 for a can of bourbon and coke.  I drove this time due to issues of getting home, it was strange to watch a concert sober 16.  Axl arrived at the venue in a helicopter.

GNR took the stage at 9:15 which was a very respectable time.  I was really happy with how his voice sounded for most of the night.  Towards the end of the show there was one or two songs where a particular register that he would try and sing in sounded like a bit of a struggle, like his voice was getting tired or something, but that was minor and only fleeting.  Overall I couldn't really fault the performance.  Axl seemed to be having fun and as always the band seemed to really enjoy themselves.

Yeah some of the little jams and solos get a bit much if I had to find a negative.  On that point, I gotta say Fortus' 007 theme solo kicked ass I really liked it.  I would also love to know how often he breaks his guitar stings, the guy seems to literally smash them when he plays.

Setlist was what the crowd wanted.  One of my mates who is a long time GNR fan but missed the last concert here said he thought it was the best concert he had been to. He was really happy with what they played and I would say he is probably a good barometer for the average fan I think.  Most of the crowd seemed to really enjoy it.  A few people left towards the end (like every concert) most probably trying to avoid the inevitable traffic jam (which there was) on the way out.

The highlights for me were probably a couple of the songs I hadn't seen live before like Sorry (I really like this song and it sounded great live too), Don't Cry, This I love and Patience.  I think this was the first time I had seen Axl sing Whole lotta Rosie live too and man that song really suits his voice. He bloody belts the vocals out to it too.  It was interesting to hear people singing along to some of the new stuff too like Better, obviously that didn't happen in 2007.

I also thought Patience worked quite well in the encore.  Axl said Tommy wanted to play it and he told him that would mean two ballads in a row but Tommy wanted to anyhow.  The only song that didn't work for me was KOHD.  It just seems to go on and on and on and the crowd interaction wasn't that great on it.  Maybe it needs Tracey and Roberta to help out on it again 16

I Loved watching Ron play with the doubleneck, the guy is a jet on the guitar.  As for DJ, this was my first time I had seen him live and I haven't always been sold on him.  I have to say he did an outstanding job.  I think as Monkeychow wrote in his Adelaide review, he really seems to fit in well, much better than Finck.  His rock vibe and particularly the way he plays the tunes much closer to the originals really works for me.  He also works hard to get the crowd involved.  I also really like how he plays the TIL solo now.  It's funny I think back to the first time he played it, it sounded like an abortion but he has really made it his own and I like it.

I just hope Axl can give these guys a shot at recording some new stuff together soon.  It would be nice to hear what they could put together since there is a heap of talent amongst them all and it deserves to be heard on some original material.

That's about all I can say.  I'm glad I went it was money well spent and I will go see them again.  I wasn't too sure at first how much I would enjoy the gig having seen them 3 times in 2007, but I still had a blast.  Here's a couple of pics:

2po1nhg.jpg
esu7is.jpg
175qo0.jpg
302phu9.jpg
zc12p.jpg
^ Love the Bon Scott shirt 9

Sky Dog wrote:

nice pics

jamester

jamester wrote:

Thank you for sharing your experience! +1
Nice smile. Would you mind commenting on any conversations you had with the band members? I have read about fans take on everyone above except frank. Im curious to know your take on his personality.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

kudos on the review aussie 5

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Great Review!!!

Glad to see frank is ok, he wasn't backstage after adeliade as he was getting some treatment for an injury apparently.

Totally agree about the bond theme, it was quite impressive live I think. This line up seems to operate so well together, it feels more like a band than past versions to me, so lets hope for good times to continue.

Board footer