You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: The concert intro... is The General.

faldor wrote:
madagas wrote:

what tour? The tour is over on the 16th...no more dates scheduled. I'll believe a US tour when the promoters start selling tix AND it goes on Gnr's facebook/myspace pages. Until then.....Merry XMAS and Happy New Year.

From the most recent interview with Ron

The Guns N’ Roses world tour recently will come to an end. What's the next project you will focus on?
Don't know what comes next, can't predict. Ya know, 'We make plans, and God laughs...' GNR has some tentative touring plans, will have to see what comes of it – if not that, will keep putting out my own music, would love to get back to producing bands and teaching, and maybe finally making that instructional DVD that's been on the ol' list for a decade....

http://www.metalkrant.sp2o.org/index.ph … 480&page=4

Sky Dog wrote:

"tentative" being the key word....they probably have "tentative" plans to release an album.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I agree, and I'm with you, I'll believe it when I see dates up on ticketmaster/get confirmation from the band.  I actually take that comment from Ron as a bit of a negative.  A month ago DJ made it seem like it was a sure thing (though we all know NOTHING is a sure thing with GNR).  Now Ron doesn't seem ultra confident with that statement.  At least that's my take on it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ I hear ya...but then I think realisticly Ron just knows better than to make sure fire statements.

Like if he says the plan is a tour, all the usa peeps go nuts, then for whatever reason if it doesn't happen, it turns into a shit-storm for him.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
madagas wrote:
Bono wrote:

That intro sounds cool for opening a show but it sounds like a  stupid intro for a song intro to me. Way too long and boring for a song. Sounds like movie soundtrack music.

from the Axl chats....maybe it is soundtrack music!

Q2 If you don't mind would you tell me what are your favorite 10 albums of 2008 and all time favorites i would like to know more about your music taste.

"I'm more into film scores."

So am I

That's why i've never understood Axl's reluctancy to just break off with a solo career scoring films or just cutting instrumental albums.

Ironically, outside of GN'R i've never been a big fan of Marco Beltrami's work. Dimension Films lifted his work on "Scream" and interjected it into "Halloween H2O", absolutely butchering a perfectly wonderful orchestral score by John Ottman. I also thought Beltrami's "Terminator 3" score was absolutely terrible and a slap in the face to the franchise.

I'd be curious who Axl's favorite composers in film are.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I'd be curious who Axl's favorite composers in film are.

Try Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard; this stuff has the same moody progression as any of those recent Dark Knights/LOTRs. Not saying its plagiarized but certainly goes with the same uninspired gestalt as the naughties blockbuster stock OSTs.

I kept this intro thing rolling on the background of Batman: Arkham Asylum and to my surprise, didn't see it being out of place. It was just generic grandeur, a professionally concoted 'promise forever, never deliver', which is something Ax himself excels at.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

With Pitman's backing work on CD, I can TOTALLY see that being Axl's taste. Very much brings that tone of Batman Begins/TDK, and yes Arkham Asylum too.

But yet, Axl still has a modern taste for technical-electronic-avante garde guitars (Bucket/Ron), including having Moby on the CD project for a short time. I'm thinking Michael Mann's Heat might be up Axl's alley.

And with those guitars, those almost goes back to the horror film scores of the late 70's/early-80's. I wonder if Axl dug John Carpenter & Alan Howarth (Halloween I-III / Escape From N.Y.) or possibly some of the electronic work on the Italian or Italian-influenced horror films (Dawn of the Dead/Susperia).

Just food for thought, based off of the CD stuff. May be way off. It could just as easily be a Brian May-fetish.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

One of the best things about Ax as a musician is his eclectic tastes. He's likely to be aware of more film scores than most common folk can shake a stick at. How much of that translates to his own work is a different story.

If the World is another example, I understand Ax let out in some concert that the band view the song as a faux Bond tune. And if we are to discuss and dissect Bond tunes from over the years, this' gonna take a while.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Axlin08 wrote:

Ironically, outside of GN'R i've never been a big fan of Marco Beltrami's work. Dimension Films lifted his work on "Scream" and interjected it into "Halloween H2O", absolutely butchering a perfectly wonderful orchestral score by John Ottman. I also thought Beltrami's "Terminator 3" score was absolutely terrible and a slap in the face to the franchise.

Terminator 3 was an absolute donkey of a film, yeah - and one of the many marks against it is that the producers ditched the iconic Brad Fiedel score in favour of an orchestral one. That would've sucked no matter who'd done it, so I can't really blame Beltrami for it.

As for If the World as a faux-Bond theme, I've always seen Prostitute as that - mainly for that chord change after the lines "To give what you have/for what you might lose". That's so Bond-theme it's untrue.

Board footer