You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: VELVET REVOLVER Zeroing In On 'Younger And Stronger' New Singer - Dec.

jamester wrote:

SLASH On VELVET REVOLVER: 'Things Have Been Moving In A Very Positive Direction' - Dec. 23, 2010
Joe Bosso of MusicRadar.com conducted an interview with legendary guitarist Slash (VELVET REVOLVER, GUNS N' ROSES) this past Tuesday (December 21). A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

MusicRadar.com: Matt Sorum was recently quoted as saying that VELVET REVOLVER had finally found a singer that you all "really like a lot." He described the vocalist as a "known guy, younger and stronger," but stressed that things were in the "dating" stage. Is this indeed the case?

Slash: "Never believe what you read. [laughs] Here's what's happening: things have been moving in a very positive direction, and we'll know exactly what we're doing next month."

MusicRadar.com: OK. But do you think you might have found the right person?

Slash: "I haven't said anything. I said we'll figure out VELVET REVOLVER next month." [laughs]

MusicRadar.com: What with you touring behind your solo album this past year, along with Duff McKagan's brief stint in JANE'S ADDICTION, is there still a strong band vibe in VELVET REVOLVER? Do you guys have material?

Slash: "Yes! Yeah, there is. We've kept in touch and wrote a lot of great material and did a lot of stuff that's been pretty much under the radar. We also tried out a lot of singers. It's all good. We rehearsed a bunch this past month, during the last few weeks of December. The band vibe is great."

MusicRadar.com: But what would have happened if Duff stayed in JANE'S ADDICTION? I imagine that would have complicated matters for VELVET REVOLVER.

Slash: "If he had stayed in JANE'S ADDICTION, which I don't think was his plan in the first place, but if he did…I wouldn't continue VELVET REVOLVER without him. It would have been on indefinite hiatus."

MusicRadar.com: Did you ever ask [ALTER BRIDGE singer Myles Kennedy, who also sings in Slash's solo band] outright to be in VELVET REVOLVER?

Slash: "No. I know a lot of people talk about it. But I don't think that people really consider that he's already in a band."

MusicRadar.com: I know things are in a very embryonic stage, but musically, can you think of how you want this next record to differ from past VELVET REVOLVER albums?

Slash: "VELVET REVOLVER with Scott [Weiland] was very cool and interesting. Recently, I had to listen to one of the records to relearn one of the songs. I'm very proud of what we did, and of working with Scott in a lot of instances. But it was never heavy enough; that was my big issue with it. The band had to kind of acclimate to Scott's style, which was cool. But the one thing that was lacking, in my mind, was a certain Matt-Slash-Duff approach, and that got sidelined when we started working with Scott. The new songs we've written are us doing our natural thing, and they sound really good. I'm looking to maintain that spirit, and we're looking for a singer to fit on top of that."

Read the entire interview from MusicRadar.com.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I don't see anything special or standoutish about Corey Taylor's voice.  It's very modern rock radio if you ask me.  I don't mid some Stone Sour stuff, Slipknot isn't my thing but still his voice I find to be very forgettable.

And to be honest i don't really understand some of the love Myles gets. He's ok but there's no way I'd want him to sing on VR's album cause it'd be like " Oh Myles is the singer"  It's not exciting ya know. No way Chester Bennington sings for them but that would be failry cool.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Bono - dead on. Corey Taylor = modern rock radio.

He's a fantastic vocalist with alot of ability.

But bottom line guys, if VR choose a guy like Corey, VR is going in a 'pop-rock' direction. Which is GREAT imo. I've been saying Axl needs to get with DJ and cut records as GN'R like that for awhile now.

I know alot of people think it's tried, true, tired... and they're probably right. But it's the only thing that makes a dent anymore, is that traditional post-grunge sound. VR & GN'R BOTH have to target to that audience if they want any kind of success. Basically you're looking at instrumental-GN'R (VR) plus a new-age vocalist versus GN'R which would be Axl and a more modernized instrumental band.

Alice In Chains cut those kinds of songs and got tons of radio play, attention, singles-downloads, but it didn't really result in album sales. THIS is the future people.

I'm not saying Axl needs to have Paul Stanley produce the next GN'R album or anything, but it's the direction he needs to head with Ron thrown in for those little industrial-bits.

If any of you VR guys are warm about the singer they are going to chose, that is the direction the band is heading. Even Slash's solo album was very radio-ready, so he probably already knows it. Axl adding DJ to the GN'R fold - he probably knows it too.

Myles is overrated and a mixed bag. Low vocals, soft singing - he's fine. As soon as he hits the high notes, he sounds terrible. Real pitchy. I'm sorry to all those fans.

I wonder if VR have considered Adam Lambert? They do keep saying "young and stronger" and "known". Although I highly doubt he'd turn down the Queen gig, just to turn around and go to VR.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

slipknot and stoe sour are hardly "Pop Rock" roll stone sour is mainstream yes...but not POP...c'mon now

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
jamester062001 wrote:

Slash: But the one thing that was lacking, in my mind, was a certain Matt-Slash-Duff approach, and that got sidelined when we started working with Scott.

So true. I love the VR records, there's moments that kick serious ass, but some of the normal duff/slash vibe that was there live and is usually there on anything they play on just didn't cross over to the record. Stuff like "watch this" except also with a killer vocalist would be so 9

From those samples I tend to agree with Bono about Cory's voice...didn't light any fires for me - but maybe I should give him more chances.

Axlin08 wrote:

But bottom line guys, if VR choose a guy like Corey, VR is going in a 'pop-rock' direction. Which is GREAT imo.

Interesting. I dunno for me it depends. I'm keen that slash and co stay themselves. You know like to me the awesome thing about slash is that he doesn't sound like every gimp guitarist - he sounds like slash. I thought his solo effort did a great job of making songs that were modern enough to be played on the radio (eg By The Sword, Beautiful Dangerous) but still kept that classic rock approach to the way he plays..but to be honest I wouldn't want the vocals to get too mainstream sounding...half the guys I hear on the radio I can't tell appart.

I'd say you are right from a sales POV. Like the band taking off probably needs that sort of sound, although as a fan i'd pretty much like to see them find someone with a huge Axl/baz style voice and just best out some epic GNR type shit that maybe wouldn't get played on the radio as much but gives you the "holy shit" the way something like coma does musically. I guess I just mean I'd hate to see them be neutered too much because people are scared of the 80s. Know what I mean?  If I want pansy rock I know where to get it already..it's on every station 16.it's time for someone to step up and put in some massive vocal part that scares casual listeners and for solos that fry the ears off 9

It's possilbe I have too high expectations huh wink

Axlin08 wrote:

Myles is overrated and a mixed bag.

I dunno...I think he does a pretty good job live - i mean trying to do Axl, scott, wolfmother etc....it's an insanely tough gig.

I thought he shined on his own material too - like Starlight and Back to Cali...starlight has a pretty impressive vocal when you get into the song - I know I tried it in the shower recently and it sounded like I murdered some cats.

He's got that range that a GNR type singer needs...which is what makes him such a damn attractive choice.

And in the gayest comment that I can't believe I'm writing. He's also a pretty boy and looks good next to slash up there. 18

Not that that's the criteria...but in terms of a package deal the fact he has that...then can sing Scott well, Axl tollerably (TBH I've never heard anyone do Axl properly except Axl - but his covers are at least listenable to me which is rare) and write some of the better tracks on the album with Slash. I dudnno man, maybe they'll find someone who's a better match..but it seems to me he's ticking a lot of boxes...

Axlin08 wrote:

Low vocals, soft singing - he's fine. As soon as he hits the high notes, he sounds terrible. Real pitchy. I'm sorry to all those fans.

Appology accepted big_smile

I don't think it's pitchy to be honest, sounds spot on note wise....I will grant you that in his higher register he has an unsual tone and it did take me a bit to get used to it. Although again, I also think he sounds better on his own songs in that register...where although it's just as high it's written more for his voice.

I think with the GNR songs. Hard to explain. He hits the note but not the timbre or whatever. Know what I mean? Like if you mapped out the vocals to junge on keyboard...myles is hitting those insane pitches that most people can't hit - so he gets a tick there - but the anger isn't there - Axl screams and hits those bits with an intensity, rawness, and hell...even on his best friendly day that opening jungle scream makes you realise Axl knows about anger and darkness. Myles can cover it musically, but he sounds like a guy happy to be kicking ass as a rockstar, not like a guy who lives on the street - the anger isn't there. Although to be fair to myles...like I said - i'm a fan and he does the songs better than any other Axl stand-in i've seen.

But anyway...I think the main problem is VR was scott's singing, while sounding great, was very 2 dimensional, his range is limited so songs can only go to the same places. Someone like myles or Axl can sing in that upper and lower register so can really push it a step further. Whoever they go with...i'd like to see that happen.

Axlin08 wrote:

I wonder if VR have considered Adam Lambert? They do keep saying "young and stronger" and "known". Although I highly doubt he'd turn down the Queen gig, just to turn around and go to VR.

Interesting. Maybe if he loved freddie too much to want to be a replacement for him or some logic like that. He's got the vocal chops for the gig that's pretty certain...not sure about the attitude...depends.

nugdafied wrote:

Corey Taylor is certainly a strong meat and potatoes type vocalist. Altough, I think he'd be better off teaming up with Alice in Chains and giving those fans(me!) the tour they never got thanks to Staley's studio only years. Corey Taylor rocks the AIC material pretty good on youtube & he and Cantrell seem to like one another. Slash excels with a high register vocalist.

I would personally like to see Slash record another guest vocalist solo album with the likes of Chris Robinson, Lucinda Williams, Jagger, Vedder, Steven Tyler, Snoop, Hank III, etc......with Myles getting a song and doing another, more major world tour.

However, if VR is to continue, I would prefer that they get Fergie to front it with Regina Spektor on keyboards. That's a band that could play any Slash related material I would want to hear. I think they could sell out world tours as well with the name power. Imagine Spektor singing 'Estranged' as a first encore, or Duff taking over lead vocals on 'So Fine' again. I'm pretty sure people would be into that. Maybe even get Izzy to replace Dave? The we could get DTJ!!!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
nugdafied wrote:

Corey Taylor is certainly a strong meat and potatoes type vocalist. Altough, I think he'd be better off teaming up with Alice in Chains and giving those fans(me!) the tour they never got thanks to Staley's studio only years. Corey Taylor rocks the AIC material pretty good on youtube & he and Cantrell seem to like one another. Slash excels with a high register vocalist.

Yeah, i'm not a diehard DuVall fan. I think the guy is okay, but i'm glad he was minimalized on the new record.

Considering the entire rock business currently (post-grunge) owes it's fuckin' ass to Alice In Chains, considering every vocalist since Dirt has been a Layne-copycat... i'm kinda shocked AIC couldn't find a better singer than DuVall.

Unless Jerry wanted someone that would allow him to be frontman and not overshadow himself. But he doesn't seem like that kinda guy.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

Corey Taylor.... I just went from 6 to midnight.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Please let it be Chester Bennington... smile

Still the only guy who marries Scott's general vibe with an Axl-ish vocal range, as far as I'm concerned.

That's who I'm thinking it may be. Chester jams with Camp Freddy a fair bit too, which proves he has the chops to sing classic rock style stuff. But who knows...

Board footer