You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: The Vocal Range of Steven Tyler: C2-F#5(-E6) from GoodGuitarSolos YT

jamester wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Q1BKTxQf0
GoodGuitarSolos  |   December 22, 2010  |  1 likes, 0 dislikes

As my Christmas-gift to you, here is the vocal range video for Steven Tyler, the legendary vocalist from Aerosmith! He has been singing with his famous style for MANY years, and still keeps on going strong without any significant vocal problems. His voice was quite clean during the 70's, and he started to maintain his trademark rasps and screams during 80's.

Tyler is a low tenor with really strong chest voice which he uses to soar up high really often. Another trademark-thing used by him is his raspy falsetto which is often credited as full voice due to the raspiness and power of it. His low notes are really strong for a lower tenor, and he showcases wide vocal range in songs like "Walk on Water" and "I Love Trash". He has tons of high notes so I tried to include some of the best ones here!

1. The first clip has Tyler singing the lead vocal-part in the intro of "Janie's Got a Gun", he gets down to strong B♭2 at one point.
2. Tyler slides down to solid A2 in "Reefer Headed Woman".
3. Tyler sliding down to a quick G2 in "Hangman Jury".
4. Bunch of short A2s and G2s in "F.I.N.E.".
5. "Girl Keeps Coming Apart" with Tyler speaking a cluster of strong A2s and G2s.
6. Tyler doinga bunch of lows troughout the song "Shut Up and Dance", the lowest is around G2.
7. "Permanent Vacation" with short but sweet G2 by Tyler.
8. Tyler doing really strong low backing vocals in "Hoodoo/Voodoo Medicine Man", he gets a lot of F#2s and few E2s.
9. "Baby, Please Don't Go" with Tyler singing along with the guitar: he starts the melody in the 4th octave and slides slowly down to second octave going down to E2! After that there is a non-modal scream, some strange, processed-sounding noises and more guitar-vocal passages.
10. Tyler singing the main melody around E3 with the subtle backing vocals around E2 in "Flesh".
11. "St. John" with Tyler speaking down to really strong D2s in the intro of the song.
12. "I Love Trash" with Tyler going down to really strong D2.
13. Tyler doing really low singing in "Walk on Water" bottoming around C2, really strong notes for a tenor!
14. Time for Tyler's famous high notes! The first clip features great B4s and C5s in "Janie's Got a Gun".
15. Countless C5s from "Dude (Looks Like a Lady)", Tyler just keeps on doing them without any signs of fatigue!
16. Tyler hitting intense C5s in "Nobody's Fault".
17. Tyler going up to easy and powerful C5 in the cover of The Beatles' "Helter Skelter".
18. Tyler's live version of "The Star-Spangled Banner" with a powerful C5 in it, he did this at the age of 62!
19. Great, easy C#5s by Tyler, the songs is "Push Comes to Shove".
20. Great sustained C#5 from the b-side of Pump, "Buried Alive".
21. Another version of "The Star-Spangled Banner" by Tyler, this time with powerful D5!
22. "Walk on Water" with great cluster of D5s by Tyler.
23. Powerful D5s, in both falsetto and full voice, from the song called "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing". Pretty unknown track, eh?
24. Very powerful D5s from "Livin' on the Edge", some of my favourite notes by Tyler.
25. Emotional and powerful high notes topping at E♭5 from "Remember (Walking in the Sand)", many of the notes are non-modal.
26. Lots of great C5s and E♭5s in "Ain't That a Bitch".
27. Amazing high notes from "Amazing", lots of C5s and E♭s with Tyler putting all of his feeling into the singing. One of his best vocal performances!
28. Here Tyler goes up to crazy sustained E5 in "Taste of India", and does crazy runs while descending lower.
29. Lots of E5s in "Crazy", Tyler switches to falsetto G5 in the ending of the clip.
30. Insane E5 (probably non-modal) from "I Want Trash". After that Tyler slides down to briefly full E5 which goes into non-modal note after that.
31. "Monkey on My Back" with insane non-modal scream in the intro. After that there are few D5s before the screamed E5 (Which could be non-modal too).
32. Powerful sustained E5 by Tyler, the song is "Full Circle".
33. Tyler hitting screamy E5 from "Get It Up".
34. Tyler first going up to full E♭5 and then F5 in the live version of "Walk This Way".
35. "Get a Grip" with Tyler pushing himself up to F5, this is really high for him.
36. Tyler forcing himself up to F5 before cracking into falsetto, the song is "Shut Up and Dance".
37. Tyler and Juliette Hamilton singing amazing rendition of "Amazing Grace" with Tyler going up to belted D5s and one F#5 (his highest full voice-note!) in the background while Hamilton sings!
38. Finally falsetto notes! First clip has crazy screaming passages in the live version of "Draw the Line".
39. One of my favourite Tyler-moments: great solo singing in "What It Takes" live version with awesome falsetto G5 added.
40. Legendary falsetto G#5s from "Dream On".
41. Powerful falsetto A5 from "Reefer Headed Woman".
42. Insane cat-imitation by Tyler on "Nine Lives" with a crazy non-modal G5 scream after that!
43. And finally the highest note by Tyler: impressive falsetto E6 from "Crazy!

Board footer