You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

Re: The Izzy Interview from 2001

sic. wrote:

James is not completely off the mark in my opinion. First off, it's a well-known fact that the UYI's contain nearly all of the music the band had written in up to 1990. For example, November Rain and Don't Cry had been around in some form just about forever. The instrumentals were pretty much done in late '90; now all they needed was Axl to record the vocals so they could release the damn thing. Axl kept stalling it, while the rest of the band didn't seem to get any subsequent original material written during the downtime. This is what I think Izzy's referring to. The band wasn't writing songs anymore, they just hung out and got bent while waiting for Axl to get off his ass.

It would've certainly helped in the long run, if Slash, Izzy and Duff would've collaborated before the UYI tour and created a set of demos for the future. That way, we could've actually gotten a real album instead of TSI, even without Izzy in the fold.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Nothing new? Songs like Civil War, Breakdown, Estranged, Coma, Locomotive and DTJ were all written during the UYI sessions. In fact, with a few exceptions, the best songs on UYI came from the post-AFD period.

We all know that for the most part the band did little else than drink, do drugs and play gigs after AFD. But as Slash said in his book, and we know this to be true when taking the above songs into account, when the band actually got together and wrote music they produced some really cool stuff.

Nothing new as in loss of focus, sure. Nothing new as in burnt out creatively, ie. The Stones, no way in hell.

The first Snakepit and the CD demos should prove beyond a doubt that there were plenty of fuel left in the band post-AFD/UYI.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Nothing new? Songs like Civil War, Breakdown, Estranged, Coma, Locomotive and DTJ were all written during the UYI sessions. In fact, with a few exceptions, the best songs on UYI came from the post-AFD period.

The bulk of the UYI sessions was in 1990. I included that year in my earlier post to the time during which the material was written.

polluxlm wrote:

But as Slash said in his book, and we know this to be true when taking the above songs into account, when the band actually got together and wrote music they produced some really cool stuff.

Fair enough, and I'm not trying to deny that. However, Axl and other members as well have alluded that certain tensions had been steadily increasing within the band during the production of UYI; Steven's dismissal can be seen as a potential culmination point.

It took three years after the UYI tour to get the remaining members into the same room and for them write songs together; we never heard as much as a peep out of it, so it remains debatable how well they recovered from UYI and Izzy's departure, songwriting-wise.

polluxlm wrote:

The first Snakepit and the CD demos should prove beyond a doubt that there were plenty of fuel left in the band post-AFD/UYI.

Snakepit was a Slash thing, so I wouldn't say it might reflect the group chemistry post-UYI. CD demos are the same thing, really. Those '99 demos and Oh My God didn't exactly set the world on fire, btw.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

I think basically Izzy's being overly emotional in this interview.

Sure, I agree with his assessment of the situation in the band. But as I said, the UYI sessions produced some amazing stuff. They never attempted to make any new music until around 95 when Izzy had been gone for years, so what exactly is he basing the statement on?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

that interview is great i remember reading it

i dont think there was any way that Izzy could have co-existed with GnR after he became sober...not if he wanted to stay alive

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Nothing new? Songs like Civil War, Breakdown, Estranged, Coma, Locomotive and DTJ

All those songs you listed (minus CW and DTJ) were mentioned by Axl in his mid 89 interview with RS, and he discussed Coma with Loder in early 90 on MTV. The main recording sessions for the album didn't happen until mid-late 90/ early 91, so even though those songs listed weren't talked about during the band's first couple years, they existed then in some form if Axl is discussing "Without You"(working title for Estranged) to RS in 89.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Nothing new? Songs like Civil War, Breakdown, Estranged, Coma, Locomotive and DTJ

All those songs you listed (minus CW and DTJ) were mentioned by Axl in his mid 89 interview with RS, and he discussed Coma with Loder in early 90 on MTV. The main recording sessions for the album didn't happen until mid-late 90/ early 91, so even though those songs listed weren't talked about during the band's first couple years, they existed then in some form if Axl is discussing "Without You"(working title for Estranged) to RS in 89.

That's not the issue. Izzy claimed there was nothing new coming from them. I then say, what is that based on? Which recording sessions did Izzy take part in?

AFD - Great stuff
Lies - Great stuff
UYI - Great stuff

There is nothing to base that statement on. He may feel personally that the UYI sessions were lacking, and in a sense I agree, but you won't find many GN'R fans who think that UYI are examples of a burnt out, over the hill band.

In fact, I'd say GN'R was the band, in their category (commercial, hard rock) and period, when it came to evolving their music from record to record.

Robman
 Rep: 5 

Robman wrote:

I think Izzy was reffering to the down time, of nothing happened, not, like lofton assumed, a burnt out band.

Sky Dog wrote:

fuckin a I miss Izzy ...watch this Dust N' Bones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRstV6h5 … lated:mosh:

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

yeah I figured izzy was saying too much drugs not enough jamming.

Board footer