You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Doc Roberts
 Rep: -2 

Re: What's the meaning behind Madagascar ?

Doc Roberts wrote:

The history of the Island of Madagascar is immense. It was uncharted for years but lay just on a trade route to the indies and spice islands and due to this Many ships were wrecked there. It was used as a sort of prison island much like Australia where people who committed transgressions against thee societies of the time were Exiled
In more recent times Hitler had drawn up a plan to exile all of the jewish population to Madagaascar when War became obvious he knew this would be impossible and so employed his final solution.

Throughout the ages Madagascar has been a symbol for Exile , Abandonment and Isolation. I think Axl could well have drawn paralells between the nations history and his own situation at the time of writting this song

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I've always viewed it slightly differently, whilst I do think it's about feeling isolated and alone I've never thought it was specific to how he feels about the old band. I've always thought it's more about how Axl views the state of the world, he sees the way the human race behaves towards each other and the planet and it disillusions him. He doesn't want to be classed or grouped in this generation or era of humanity, this leaves him feeling very isolated alone and perhaps misunderstood in a world he sees tearing itself apart. However I think he's also saying it's not too late, things might be fucked up now but we can save it for the next generation.

That's my interpretation anyway, although I can see why people think it might be about the old band also.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I've never liked this song, so I haven't thought too much about it, but I think it is the one legit example of a song that is about the old band. A lot of posters will say that Better, TWAT, IRS and every other song is about the old band, but mostly they're about Stephanie or some other love. But Maddy could be about the old band, or his place in society.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

I really think it's about the old band.

To me, the lyrics and the quotes both point toward it. 

Like, "Forgive them that tear down my soul.  Bless them that they might grow old.  And free them so that they may know. That it's never, too late." 

Also one of the MLK quotes I think really says sometin'. "He promised never to leave me alone. No, never alone, no never alone." 

And another one that caught my ear. "All men betray, all lose heart."

But yeah, I dunno anything more from the rest of you so agree to disagree, whatever.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Synyster Gates wrote:

I really think it's about the old band.

To me, the lyrics and the quotes both point toward it. 

Like, "Forgive them that tear down my soul.  Bless them that they might grow old.  And free them so that they may know. That it's never, too late." 

Also one of the MLK quotes I think really says sometin'. "He promised never to leave me alone. No, never alone, no never alone." 

And another one that caught my ear. "All men betray, all lose heart."

But yeah, I dunno anything more from the rest of you so agree to disagree, whatever.

Sometimes I wish Axl would elaborate on lyrics such as these in concert. There's alot of GNR material that's pretty straightforward, but for the material that's not, I'd like to get some insight straight from the source.

I get what you mean, but I think the opposite.  That's what's cool about song lyrics/poetry of any sort.  It's open to interpretation.  I think what everyone has said in the discussion is true to one point or another.  Songs aren't like books or stories where they specifically have a beginning and an end and so on, so a number of different things that bring out similiar emotions can be part of one song.

warriorpriestess
 Rep: 5 

thread resurrection! lol. madagascar hits me in the heart. great song. i think it's totally a personal thing and that's part of what makes it so awesome.

regarding the kurt loder interview: did anyone else notice when axl spoke about replacing people, he seemed on the verge of getting emotional? j and i were watching gnr behind the music a week ago and it looked like he was sort of straining to keep composure. thoughts?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I really don't understand why so many give this song a hard time.

It's good. It's very good.

And no he didn't seem emotional to me. But it did seem like he was computing what he was saying, because he was handling the interview on fly, and obviously the previous members were gonna be an issue when the new band was still labeled - 'GUNS N ROSES'.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I really don't understand why so many give this song a hard time.

It's good. It's very good.

gotta agree...top 3 of what we've heard .... easily

warriorpriestess
 Rep: 5 

Axlin08 wrote:

obviously the previous members were gonna be an issue when the new band was still labeled - 'GUNS N ROSES'.

it's still weird to me. dave mustaine is the only original guy left in megadeth...there are two different versions of l.a. guns... no one gets all picky about those bands or any of the MANY other similar situations out there.

i think gnr is sort of like kiss, but only in one way:

kiss would not be kiss without gene and paul, and gnr would not be gnr without axl.

that's just MHO of course. 22

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

well megadeth has always been dave mustaine...he writes and aranges nearly everything

hes also the lead guitarist and singer..dave is responsible for everything megadeth

as for la guns...they just suck 16

Board footer