You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Remember this document?

monkeychow wrote:

yeah exactly...i have no issues with them missing the match 6th date....but its the failure to supply any form of new target date that gets me. Or if its an issue that doesn't easily have a known end date (like litigation) then come out and say what the delay is caused by. This could be done in broard terms (disagreement with the record label etc)

But to miss the date then say nothing for the rest of the year does kinda suck a bit. To be honest I find it rather unprofessional. Axl is an amazing artist and that shows from the fact that he is able to keep a fan base throughout all the bullshit over the years. But immagine how many more fan there would be if the fan base had been kept in touch with as other artists do.

Still, its always been axls way (random no-shows and the like) and we have to take the bad with the good, and theres a hell of a lot of good in the beautiful songs he writes.

monkeychow wrote:

yeah exactly...i have no issues with them missing the match 6th date....but its the failure to supply any form of new target date that gets me. Or if its an issue that doesn't easily have a known end date (like litigation) then come out and say what the delay is caused by. This could be done in broard terms (disagreement with the record label etc)

But to miss the date then say nothing for the rest of the year does kinda suck a bit. To be honest I find it rather unprofessional. Axl is an amazing artist and that shows from the fact that he is able to keep a fan base throughout all the bullshit over the years. But immagine how many more fan there would be if the fan base had been kept in touch with as other artists do.

Still, its always been axls way (random no-shows and the like) and we have to take the bad with the good, and theres a hell of a lot of good in the beautiful songs he writes.

Agreed!

But I think what has soured him is the fanbase how he gets ranked on and from the very beginning since he made the mtv appearance because he does read all that goes on, on these boards and if not  he's informed.   It's a round robin, he pisses off the fans, they piss him off and so on.
He gets pissed off that people assume everything, example the Rio show and his rant, then you have Del that wrote that article about fans who weren't attending shows in 06, ranking on the shows so you know they know what goes on, on here.
After all that, Axl did reach out with a letter, only to be chopped down once again because people were pissed that CD didn't come out in the fall of 06.  Which is understandable but then he got the backlash of March 6th coming and going with nothing so he probably was like fuck it or there was no way he could explain the missing of the March 6th date because he'd reveal to much of what the deal is with all this and that's been very much contained to the GNR camp. 

I have to say this situation is like no other, a very unique situation.   Definitely can see both sides of the coin.

If I was Axl, I wouldn't want to talk to the fan base either.    There is a lot of good GnR fans out there, but theres also a lot that feel like Axl owes them something and puts the little bit of info he does say under a microscope.  go to mygnr and look at any thread and youll find people ranking on him, members of the band, people close to him (beta, del, baz).  people whining that its not the original lineup.   i'd see that shit and say "fuck it"!

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Axl is free to say fuck it and blow off the fans, but he has to live with the concequenses of his actions.  He's treated the fans like shit for years going all the way back to the UYI days - even those that have stuck with him through all the fuckin shit.  If he wasn't expecting a backlash as a result, then he underestimated his fan base.  You can only shit on people for so long before they are going to say enough.  The truth is that the fans don't need Axl - good or not so good, there are other musical options out there - but if Axl wants to continue living the lifestyle he wants to live, he sure as hell needs the fans.

Axl deserves much of the flack he gets.  The members of the band deserve at the very least some of the flack they get, though they are more victims of Axl's lunacy then they are at fault for any of this.  The people around him deserve all of the flack they get - the leeches need to learn to shut up.  People have a right to be disappointed that this isn't really the Guns N' Roses they fell in love with.  If that's enough for Axl to say fuck it, then fuck him.  It's apparent that as much as he's always wanted to be the lone person in the spotlight, he can't handle it and everything that goes with it.

Short of Axl's death, the best chance we have for ever seeing CD released is a long period of silence followed by doing things right for once.  Change the musicians from employees to band members and reward their loyalty and patience.  Finish the album in the quiet time.  Prepare the marketing and promotion plans.  Release the best song you have as the 1st single followed by an album release within the next 2 months.  Tour to support the album, not the salaries of the musicians.  Give back to the fans that have supported your existance for what could be 20 years at that point.  Treat the fans with respect before demanding they respect you.  Anything less than this will result in failure in my opinion.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

He doesn't tell the fans cause it's utter ridiculous to always find out another and another excuses over long years of 'unforseen delays'. I'm afraid that the truth is worse than fiction, that's why they're so silent.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Seriously I hope the fans start to care less. Axl needs that hunger again in my opinion, he needs to feel like he needs to impress people.

Whilst I'm quite opposed to another AFD rehash tour, I'd be quite supportive of a tour playing to smaller audiences, some AFD and but mainly loaded with new songs. Part of me thinks now they shouldn't be worried about bootlegging, if the record company is the hold up they should just get out there, play the new stuff and create some demand. For fucks sake show us what you're made of.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Didn't one of these shows (Oakland?) have some terrible "Trade in your guns for a ticket" promotion?!  I hope somebody somewhere got fired for that idea.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Didn't one of these shows (Oakland?) have some terrible "Trade in your guns for a ticket" promotion?!  I hope somebody somewhere got fired for that idea.

It was one of the most horribly promoted tours in history. Not having an album on shelves was big, but so were all the other factors.

Anyone associated with GNR in 2006 should be fired. Axl/GNR need real management instead of sychopants running the show.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

It was one of the most horribly promoted tours in history. Not having an album on shelves was big, but so were all the other factors.

I completely missed that one back in the day. Shows how they were practically begging for people to sponsor their tour.

Etah Allah, 31, who grew up in West Oakland, summed it up nicely.

"I wouldn't give them a sling shot," he said. "In fact, given some of the things that (Axl) Rose has said about black folks, I think I should get a gun for just going to the concert," he said, bringing a laugh from his friends. - SF Gate

What's next, a co-op deal with local florists as a refund for all those prematurely withered roses?

Jameslofton wrote:

Anyone associated with GNR in 2006 should be fired. Axl/GNR need real management instead of sychopants running the show.

The more time passes, the more evident it becomes that Merck's best call by far and wide was his communication with the fanbase, right until the very end.

As for effective the Oakland thing was...

Back in December, Oakland offered free Guns N' Roses Tickets to anyone who turned in a gun to the police. At the time, people wondered how popular an incentive Axl and the gang would be to Oakland's gun-toting population. Now we have the answer: not very.

Over two days, in two locations, the gun exchange program netted 67 guns, according to a report from the Chief of Police, Wayne Tucker. It sounds like a failure, but at least the firearms were functional. A gun-for-a-computer swap in 1999 brought in 200 guns - 200 "old, rusted, inoperable" guns.

And the city didn't run out of Guns N' Roses tickets. In 1999, the city didn't have enough computers, and gave out vouchers. But Oakland couldn't get more computers, and those vouchers could never be redeemed, which, as the chief says, "understandably, created distrust and apprehension about future programs." - Novometro

Seven
 Rep: 9 

Seven wrote:

This is NOT what they meant when they said "no such thing as bad press'

Board footer