You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: The BATMAN Thread

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

That is definitely a long running time. Films that are longer than two hours usually pay a steep price for that at the box office. There are obvious exceptions to the rule, but I'm surprised they didn't trim a bit of fat from the film.

1. It's only 12 minutes longer than Batman Begins.

2. The biggest movie ever is Titanic and it's 3 hours, 15 minutes long. One of the biggest summer movies recently was Pirates 2. It made $135 million at the box office in just 3 days and was a $423 million hit in the U.S. Guess how long it is. 150 minutes. Spidey 3 was 140 minutes, the same length as Batman Begins, and it made $151 million in just 3 days. If TDK were SHORTER than Batman Begins, I'd be pissed quite honestly. A shorter runtime is often a typical sign of a shitty sequel.

There was tracking released by MovieTickets.com showing 100% awareness for TDK, 81% of males said they will see it opening weekend, and 66% of females said the same thing. This poll was taken in early June, so an entire month before its release. Iron Man's awareness level at the same point in time before its release was 34%. I think TDK is headed for a $100+ million opening weekend and I don't think the runtime will hurt it. What will hurt it is if the movie sucks, which is what happened to Spidey 3.

And most importantly, Chris Nolan is one of the world's best movie editors as well as a great director. If you have ever watched any of his movies, you know that there's no bloated scenes like with Peter Jackson's King Kong or stupid tacked on crap like in the Spidey movies. Nolan is very efficient with what he wants to do. Batman Begins is 140 minutes and has great pacing, so much so that by the end of it you don't want it to end...especially with the final scene, which is just a fucking awesome cliffhanger. There was no "director's cut" that will be pawned off on the fans. Nolan said that the theatrical cut WAS the director's cut, and I have no doubt TDK will be the same way. He will cram every bit of efficiency into it and I am sure the pacing will be great, unlike the Pirates sequels which were mostly a disaster from an editing standpoint. I don't know if any two movies have ever had more pointless scenes than those two movies, and I say this as a huge fan of those movies. LOL.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

2. The biggest movie ever is Titanic and it's 3 hours, 15 minutes long.

Godfather, pt. 2. 200 minutes.

Then there are movies even longer, like Bertolucci's Novecento, which is screened with an intermission due to the epic 315 minute running time.

tejastech08 wrote:

And most importantly, Chris Nolan is one of the world's best movie editors as well as a great director.

He knows how to kill his darlings, but I wouldn't call him an editor - let alone a great one. Film editing is a work of its own and requires craftsmanship few directors possess.

Having said that, The Dark Knight will probably be the industry event of the year. Funny that, I always feared my interest in Batman would wane in my later years, as I was confident they'd eventually get the Joker story right.

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

BurningHills wrote:

Absolutely cannot wait for this. I'll be seeing it opening weekend for sure, and I normally hate superhero films.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

Tracking 4 weeks out shows 94% awareness across all demographics with some demographics at 98%. The number that the tracking company gave was "low 100's" for the 3-day weekend but the guy who posted it says he thinks they are lowballing it. They have Hancock at $120 million for its 5-day opening and he says Hancock has much lower awareness and interest across all demographics. This same tracking company hit the nail on the head with Iron Man, which they said was tracking in the triple digits 2 weeks before its release. TDK is still 4 weeks out and the marketing blitz will be starting sometime in the next week or so. Indiana Jones did not have this high of awareness until 2 weeks before its release and it made $150 million for its 5-day weekend. I think TDK has a great shot at $110-120 million for the 3-day weekend if WB unleashes a good TV ad blitz in the next 4 weeks.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDieDODySY4

New TV spot. Couple of new lines from the Joker that are just GREAT. Plus there's a big ass collision between the Joker in an 18 wheeler and Batman in the Tumbler. Looks badass.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Heath talking about how fun playing the Joker was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKa-aDga1fE&NR=1

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

Shit, apparently there were 2 other TV spots released tonight with more incredible Joker lines. They haven't made it onto YouTube yet, but it's pretty amazing that there's already 8 TV spots released for this movie when it's still 3.5 weeks away.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

Clint motherfucking Eastwood has agreed to play a villain in TDK's sequel. He has seen TDK and loves it. He also loves Batman Begins. Nolan offered for him to play the mayor in BB but he was not available due to Mystic River and Million Dollar Baby scheduling conflicts. He is a huge fan of Nolan's work and has been wanting to work with him for a long time. Clint's seal of approval for TDK means that the movie kicks ass. It's comforting to hear that another big BB fan was not disappointed in the new movie.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Board footer