You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bazgnr
 Rep: 4 

Re: The BATMAN Thread

bazgnr wrote:

You should be.  It's well-worth it.   5

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

And the official numbers are in. $18.5 million from midnight shows alone. This does NOT include 3 AM and 6 AM, and there were a shitload of those. My guess is it made $20-21 million from midnight to 6 AM. Absolutely incredible. Sith was the movie event of the decade and somehow, a sequel to a little movie called Batman Begins has taken down the mighty Star Wars. Batman Begins only made $205 million domestic and yet its sequel has pulled off the unthinkable.

Just for some comparisons, Sith held that record for 3 years at $16.9 million with no movie coming within even $4 million of it. The closest behind Sith was 2007's Harry Potter with $12 million. Spidey 3 made $9 million. Pirates 2 made around $10 million.

bazgnr
 Rep: 4 

bazgnr wrote:

That is great news.  The movie certainly deserves the success and accolades it's generating.  I'd really like to see a record-breaking weekend.

I'm still amazed at how it's elevated expectations for the superhero genre in general.  Such a great and challenging film with complex themes and characterizations.  I was almost certain the hype would have made it a disappointment, and I was quite happy to be wrong in this case.  I'm anxious to see it a second time, and soon.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Communist China wrote:

To those that have seen it, I have a few questions to ask...

Hidden Text:

Were you caught off guard by Harvey's death like I was? At first I was taken aback, and disappointed, because Two-Face is my favorite villain and I felt he wasn't given enough time to develop as a villain, kind of like Venom in Spidey 3. I don't know, I was expecting him to kill a few people, and set up a third film. Instead there really is no obvious way to go about making a third movie. After thinking about it a little bit, the movie is kind of about Harvey. His character is more prominent than was promoted, and he was handled almost perfectly. I still think Two-Face shouldn't have been killed... but by using the reasoning of his insanity being Joker's greaqtest triumph, it does fit. Just sad though. Sad that Eckhart's portrayal of Two-Face can't return. Sad Ledger's Joker can't return either.

My brother felt that the Joker storyline was anti-climatic, but I disagree. Glad to see them show the Joker-Batman relationship the way it should be. One can't kill the other.

SPOILERS

Hidden Text:

I was shocked when Dent died.  But there's a possibility that he wasn't actually dead still.  Think about it, Gordon could have wanted the public to think he's dead so that he can be remembered as a hero, when really they locked him away.  The funeral could have been a whole joke.

END SPOILERS

The Joker was fucking increadible.  Heath's performance lived up to all the hype.  Heath's Joker is the best on screen villian ever.  Hands down.

The whole movie was increadible.  The story was perfect, and it wasn't weak in any spots in my opinion.  Truly the defining comic book movie.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

Estimate for TDK's opening day: $66 million.

UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE. And it might go higher than this. The guy's previous estimate was $63 million but he got more data from his sources. My local theater has all the midnight showings plus 1 AM's sold out tonight.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:

Holy god.  What was the current record?

Saikin

Saikin wrote:

I found the current records.

Biggest opening day:

Spiderman 3- $59,841,919

Biggest opening weekend:

Spiderman 3-$151,116,516

The Dark Knight just blew the opening day out of the water, and i'd bet my mother it breaks the other record too.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Saikin wrote:

I found the current records.

Biggest opening day:

Spiderman 3- $59,841,919

Biggest opening weekend:

Spiderman 3-$151,116,516

The Dark Knight just blew the opening day out of the water, and i'd bet my mother it breaks the other record too.

It's selling out midnight and 1 AM shows at my local theater for Friday night. Those shows will count towards Saturday's gross, which is important because it is going to drop on Saturday no doubt about it. The question is how much. It needs to drop around 24% to make $50 million on Saturday and keep a comfortable lead on Spidey. Then on Sunday it has a little more room to breathe. IMAX is sold out completely on Saturday across the entire country, so that is a big boost as well. I hope it can beat Spidey's Saturday record, which is $51 million I think.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:

There is no doubt in my mind that it will beat Spidey. 

This movie is so much better than Spidey was.  Word of mouth is spreading quickly that this movie is increadible, Saturday won't see too much of a loss in sales i feel.

At the same time this movie is so damn depressing.  This was an amazing performance for Heath, and would have catapulted him to new levels of fame.  It's so sad that he will never be able to see the final product of his work, or that we will never get to see the Joker in another Batman movie like this.  I can't see many (if any) wanting to even attempt to fill Heath's shoes and play the Joker in a third enstallment. 

Heath, when alive, was a VERY underrated actor.  This right here proves it.  He goes from playing a gay cowboy to the Joker.  This guy could have done anything.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Saikin wrote:

There is no doubt in my mind that it will beat Spidey. 

This movie is so much better than Spidey was.  Word of mouth is spreading quickly that this movie is increadible, Saturday won't see too much of a loss in sales i feel.

At the same time this movie is so damn depressing.  This was an amazing performance for Heath, and would have catapulted him to new levels of fame.  It's so sad that he will never be able to see the final product of his work, or that we will never get to see the Joker in another Batman movie like this.  I can't see many (if any) wanting to even attempt to fill Heath's shoes and play the Joker in a third enstallment. 

Heath, when alive, was a VERY underrated actor.  This right here proves it.  He goes from playing a gay cowboy to the Joker.  This guy could have done anything.

Yeah, it sucks. I remember when the news first broke, I was over at the Batman forum on Superhero Hype and one poster summed up the situation best (paraphrase): "This isn't right. It just isn't. The guy was about to become a huge A-List star and now his daughter won't have her father to help raise her. The whole thing just isn't right."

That's exactly how I feel about it. It just feels WRONG you know?

Board footer