You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: The BATMAN Thread

tejastech08 wrote:

So I bought the Batman Anthology Blu-ray today. It has some cool special features and I'm glad to have the first two movies in high def. I watched about 15 minutes of Batman Forever and couldn't help but think of Ledger every time Jones or Carrey spouted off one of their awful lines. I mean holy shit, this is a bad movie but compared to Nolan's it just makes you realize it's even WORSE than you ever remembered it being. I hadn't watched Batman Forever in a long time. I've seen Batman & Robin on TV a couple times over the years and would usually watch a bit of it to laugh my ass off, but I really did forget just how horrible Batman Forever is. All I can say is thank you Chris Nolan and company for raising the damn bar.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Tejas, just curious, how do Forever & B&R "look" on HD? I know they're awful films, but i've always thought Schumacher's "Neon Noir" look could be cool to at least visually fun to watch on Blu Ray.

Any thoughts?

AtariLegend wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I'm glad it never got made. Even by superhero movie standards it sounds ridiculous.

You saw "Watchmen" right? Where the main protagonist arguably is a giant blue CGI dick.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Tejas, just curious, how do Forever & B&R "look" on HD? I know they're awful films, but i've always thought Schumacher's "Neon Noir" look could be cool to at least visually fun to watch on Blu Ray.

Any thoughts?

Interestingly enough, Batman Returns looks the best out of all of them. I thought Batman Forever had disappointing PQ considering it's newer than '89 and Returns. '89 and Forever were both pretty good PQ but Returns had great PQ. Batman & Robin is probably on Returns' level, but the movie is so awful that it's hard to see past that.

I watched some of B89's special features and it had a lot of cool interviews from Burton, the producers, and actors. One thing that's funny to me is the inclusion of music videos used for promotion of these movies. On B89, they had 2 or 3 Prince videos (God awful, cheesy 80's shit with Prince dressed up like the Joker and half of his face in Joker makeup, the other half looking normal) plus the Seal video from Batman Forever. Holy shit, Seal was big time melodramatic in his lip-synching for that video. I watch the videos from those time periods and think, "Wow, amazing what passed for good production values back then." 16

BTW, I would say don't waste your money on this unless you can get a significant discount. I had $55 in gift cards and Reward Zone points, so I paid $35 for it after tax at Best Buy. The regular price was $85 before tax. The movies were released separately in the UK and you can import them from Amazon's UK website for around $44 for the first two Burton movies combined including shipping. $22 a pop ain't bad if you really want an upgrade over the shitty DVD's. But I've heard the 2005 DVD's had pretty good quality. The ones I had were from the 90's and total garbage transfers. All the special features on this Blu-ray are from the 2005 special edition DVD's. It's pretty funny hearing people suck Nicholson's dick. They had no idea what was coming 3 years later.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Good to know. I'm guessing, considering the fact Warner has been so reluctant to reissue the old Batman franchise in the era of Nolan's films, that I highly doubt they'll all get single releases in the states on Blu Ray, especially Forever and B&R.

I really would like to purchase the set just for completist purposes. I've did the whole "fuck Forever, fuck B&R" thing for awhile, and never purchased those movies, but like a true Batman-nut, I think I owe it to myself to watch the absurdity sometimes.

Unless someone puts on a Batman deal somewhere, I don't see it coming down much. I'm hoping Deep Discount and/or DVD Empire will start including Blu Ray's in their annual 25% off DVD sales.

Recently I kind of (flipped through) Forever & B&R, and even though Forever is "less shitty" than B&R, in a weird way, I think B&R is more fun in one way. It knows it's so cornball, that it NEVER takes itself seriously, and I don't hate it as much for that, because it knows it's ridiculous. Howling II ridiculous. Whereas Forever is a bit more hard to stomach, because they do the same thing, yet take themselves seriously like Burton's films, which comes across even more insulting at times than B&R.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Good to know. I'm guessing, considering the fact Warner has been so reluctant to reissue the old Batman franchise in the era of Nolan's films, that I highly doubt they'll all get single releases in the states on Blu Ray, especially Forever and B&R.

I really would like to purchase the set just for completist purposes. I've did the whole "fuck Forever, fuck B&R" thing for awhile, and never purchased those movies, but like a true Batman-nut, I think I owe it to myself to watch the absurdity sometimes.

Unless someone puts on a Batman deal somewhere, I don't see it coming down much. I'm hoping Deep Discount and/or DVD Empire will start including Blu Ray's in their annual 25% off DVD sales.

Recently I kind of (flipped through) Forever & B&R, and even though Forever is "less shitty" than B&R, in a weird way, I think B&R is more fun in one weird way. It knows it's so cornball, that it NEVER takes itself seriously, and I don't hate it as much for that, because it knows it's ridiculous. Howling II ridiculous. Whereas Forever is a bit more hard to stomach, because they do the same thing, yet take themselves seriously like Burton's films, which comes across even more insulting at times than B&R.

I think BF and B&R serve a good purpose. If you ever get caught up in nitpicking Nolan or Burton's movies, pop in either of those movies just for 5 minutes and it gives you an entirely different perspective. Besides that, they're also hilarious to watch...though it is painful for me to watch the Riddler and Two-Face being raped by such a poor director and screenplay. Carrey and Jones are very good actors and could have done a great job with those characters, but the direction and script were awful. I just laugh at B&R. No regrets whatsoever. As bad as it is, it led to Nolan's movies. No way in hell we would have gotten Nolan's movies if B&R hadn't turned out so awful.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

BTW, I've seen Deep Discount have some pretty good sales on Blu-ray. I post at some high def sites and around the time of Black Friday week last November, I seem to remember them having 30% off on all DVD's and Blu-ray. In fact I think I actually took advantage of it and bought several things including The Godfather Trilogy Blu-ray and L.A. Confidential Blu-ray. I never would have purchased them otherwise because I owned them on DVD, but I love those movies so much and the Godfather DVD's look terrible so getting 30% off from Deep Discount was enough to make me jump on the deal. I'd say if you look out for that this year, you'll probably be able to get the Batman box for $50ish. If I remember right, the Godfather box was around $48 after the discount when I got it. And it came out last year with a really steep price (around $80-90 just like this Batman box) and has far stronger sales appeal than a Batman box since all 3 movies are good rather than just 2 out of 4.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

lol

Yeah, i've lightened up on the films recently, as i've found it a bit hypocritical to sit back and just skewer Schumacher's films, especially B&R, and in reality it's unfair to do that, and then turn around and try to find ways to defend films like Jason Goes To Hell, Jason X or Freddy vs. Jason. or Howling II or Nightmare on Elm Street 4 or anything like that.

It's really the same thing. They all have their place. There were Batman comics which were light in tone, and campy. Me and you happen to prefer the darker more sinister Batman of Burton and Nolan, but Schumacher's are great AWFUL films. You sit back with a coke and popcorn, and just have fun with it.

I've always liked this video on YouTube, it really sums it up.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

lol

Yeah, i've lightened up on the films recently, as i've found it a bit hypocritical to sit back and just skewer Schumacher's films, especially B&R, and in reality it's unfair to do that, and then turn around and try to find ways to defend films like Jason Goes To Hell, Jason X or Freddy vs. Jason. or Howling II or Nightmare on Elm Street 4 or anything like that.

It's really the same thing. They all have their place. There were Batman comics which were light in tone, and campy. Me and you happen to prefer the darker more sinister Batman of Burton and Nolan, but Schumacher's are great AWFUL films. You sit back with a coke and popcorn, and just have fun with it.

I've always liked this video on YouTube, it really sums it up.

Some movies are so bad, they're great. Like Ed Wood's movies. They've turned into classics because they were so awful, it's enthralling to watch and laugh. I think Nolan's movies have really taken some of the sting out of Schumacher's for many diehard fans. This is the fanbase that was up in arms over Keaton being cast because they feared it would be a campy version since he was known for comedic roles at the time. So when Schumacher came along and delivered two ultra campy movies that basically anal-raped a bunch of great characters from the Batman mythos, it was tough for fans to look past it and simply laugh about how bad the movies were. They were a misrepresentation of the mythos to the public and the public was making fun of Batman. It was a huge embarrassment for Batman fans. At the time I was pretty indifferent because I was still a young teenager. I knew I loved Burton's movies but I didn't realize how bad Schumacher's were until a few years later when I re-visited them after the fact. When Nolan's movies came out, they restored the character's credibility with the public and there was no longer this huge cloud hanging over the fanbase. You're not embarrassed to say you're a Batman fan anymore like you might have been around the time of Batman & Robin. For fuck's sake, apparently damn near everyone is a fan when the newest movie makes $533 million in North America alone.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

BTW, I've seen Deep Discount have some pretty good sales on Blu-ray. I post at some high def sites and around the time of Black Friday week last November, I seem to remember them having 30% off on all DVD's and Blu-ray. In fact I think I actually took advantage of it and bought several things including The Godfather Trilogy Blu-ray and L.A. Confidential Blu-ray. I never would have purchased them otherwise because I owned them on DVD, but I love those movies so much and the Godfather DVD's look terrible so getting 30% off from Deep Discount was enough to make me jump on the deal. I'd say if you look out for that this year, you'll probably be able to get the Batman box for $50ish. If I remember right, the Godfather box was around $48 after the discount when I got it. And it came out last year with a really steep price (around $80-90 just like this Batman box) and has far stronger sales appeal than a Batman box since all 3 movies are good rather than just 2 out of 4.

Thanks for the heads up. I knew they had went up on the sale to cater to the economy (it used to be 20% and just SD-DVD's), but I didn't know it had went up to 30% and also includes BR's now.

Board footer