You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: The BATMAN Thread

Axlin16 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

...Because sometimes Clooney isn't good enough. 16

That is absolutely classic! 14

"Clooney is the actor we deserve, but not the one we need right now."

tejastech08 wrote:

I just bought Batman: Animated Series Volumes 1 and 2 from Amazon (roughly $40 combined). Apparently the Complete Series, which went on sale back in the fall of 2008, is already out of print but they are selling each volume separately. I decided to get the first two volumes since they are the earlier seasons of the show when it was at its strongest. I'll probably get Volumes 3 and 4 at some point, but $80 in one chunk is a bit steep all at the same time.

FUCK... I knew I should've bought that back in the fall. Fuck fuck fuck... 17

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

FUCK... I knew I should've bought that back in the fall. Fuck fuck fuck... 17

You're going to love this little detail. Amazon is selling the 4 volumes bundled together for $100 even though you can fucking buy them separately for $20 each, aka $80 for the 4 volumes. So you have a $20 penalty when you buy their bundle. How stupid is that? 16

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

So, interesting question. Which was worse, the backlash to Keaton's casting or the backlash to Ledger's casting? It's tough to say because the Internet wasn't around back when Keaton was cast, but the homophobic bullshit back in 2006 was embarrassing for the Batman fanbase. I don't think I've ever seen such a 180 degree turnaround from a fanbase. As soon as they released this picture and trailer (with just a clip of his voice) during the summer of 2007, people shut the fuck up and started supporting him:

http://entertainmentnow.files.wordpress … -knife.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWw0ov-cAUg

And then when this trailer came out in December 2007, the Internet just about blew up and people went from supporting him to worshiping him (and this was a month before his death, which was when all the morons in the media and mainstream REALLY jumped on the bandwagon):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB0mvd1UP7s

Now, the backlash against Keaton was strong enough that WB put out a teaser trailer of footage to prove to the fans that it was a dark movie, not a rehash of the 1960's TV show. The fans were afraid because of Keaton's background in comedy movies that the movie would be campy as hell. They quickly shut up when that teaser trailer came out and jumped on board the hype train.

Looking at the two, I can say without doubt that the more irrational backlash was against Ledger. What the fuck does him being in a movie about a couple of gay sheep herders have to do with his ability to play the Joker? For fuck's sake, he got nominated for an Oscar while playing that gay sheep herder and many folks felt he should have won the damn award at the time it was handed out. Since when is casting an Oscar-nominated actor a bad idea? LOL.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

As soon as I had heard Heath Ledger had been cast as The Joker, I wasn't shocked (not because of Brokeback Mtn.), but because he had been a sex symbol for his generation. Ledger had been marketed for years as a tough Australian sex symbol, who just happened to be an amazing actor.

Could any of us imagined, if Burton had cast Mel Gibson as The Joker in '89? We'd been like - WTFH?

I think that was what I was curious about, and when the photos of Heath as the Joker were released, I still couldn't give a fuck. I didn't get a taste, until those teaser trailers came out, and I was like "this is gonna be fuckin' cool".

As for Batman: TAS Complete Series, the sad thing is, Deep Discount had that set for $75 bucks with 25% off last November, for like around $55 bucks. That makes each season LESS than $15 bucks per.

And I decided to wait... maybe I can buy them individually with the sale, and it make them $15 each later on, I dunno, but it's still a pisser.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

As soon as I had heard Heath Ledger had been cast as The Joker, I wasn't shocked (not because of Brokeback Mtn.), but because he had been a sex symbol for his generation. Ledger had been marketed for years as a tough Australian sex symbol, who just happened to be an amazing actor.

Could any of us imagined, if Burton had cast Mel Gibson as The Joker in '89? We'd been like - WTFH?

I think that was what I was curious about, and when the photos of Heath as the Joker were released, I still couldn't give a fuck. I didn't get a taste, until those teaser trailers came out, and I was like "this is gonna be fuckin' cool".

As for Batman: TAS Complete Series, the sad thing is, Deep Discount had that set for $75 bucks with 25% off last November, for like around $55 bucks. That makes each season LESS than $15 bucks per.

And I decided to wait... maybe I can buy them individually with the sale, and it make them $15 each later on, I dunno, but it's still a pisser.

Tower.com has it for $87 with free shipping. So basically $5 more than buying each volume separately at Amazon right now. The only difference between buying all of the separate volumes and getting the box set is that the box set has a bonus disc with special features on it.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Ehh, I can do without special features. I think they're overrated to be honest with you.

Not necessarily in this case, but in most DVD cases, i'd rather have the cheaper price, than special features. I rarely ever watch or listen (commentary) more than once.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Ehh, I can do without special features. I think they're overrated to be honest with you.

Not necessarily in this case, but in most DVD cases, i'd rather have the cheaper price, than special features. I rarely ever watch or listen (commentary) more than once.

I agree. That's the bizarre thing though. In this case, at Tower.com, you've got the box set with the special features disc selling for $87 but you've got the Vols. 1-4 bundle selling for $129. How effed up is that? Same damn product and yet the one with no special features costs $42 more. Likewise at Amazon with the individual Volumes selling for $20 while they peddle a $100 bundle of the 4 Volumes. Very strange. 16

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

That's when you know they just price stuff, and don't pay any attention to the other products.

Just like when The Dark Knight came out on DVD... Wal-Mart had the SE:SD-DVD priced at $25 bucks, and the Blu Ray bare-bones priced at $25 bucks. I don't know about you, but if i'm paying $25 bucks anyways, i'd rather have the Blu Ray disc, over the SD special features disc. (I ended up getting the $16 SD-DVD bare-bones)

I'm just hoping with the popularity of Batman being at 1989-levels right now, that this Christmas they'll be some major Batman-specific sales going on. I'd like to get Blu Ray's of all of the old & new franchise movies, and finally pick up the complete series of Batman: TAS.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

That's when you know they just price stuff, and don't pay any attention to the other products.

Just like when The Dark Knight came out on DVD... Wal-Mart had the SE:SD-DVD priced at $25 bucks, and the Blu Ray bare-bones priced at $25 bucks. I don't know about you, but if i'm paying $25 bucks anyways, i'd rather have the Blu Ray disc, over the SD special features disc. (I ended up getting the $16 SD-DVD bare-bones)

I'm just hoping with the popularity of Batman being at 1989-levels right now, that this Christmas they'll be some major Batman-specific sales going on. I'd like to get Blu Ray's of all of the old & new franchise movies, and finally pick up the complete series of Batman: TAS.

The Blu-ray wasn't bare bones. It had all the same features as the 2-disc DVD PLUS some other features that weren't on the 2-disc DVD. The Blu-ray was the most feature-packed release of TDK's debut on home video. Thanks to a $25 gift card at Best Buy, I paid around 90 cents after tax for my copy of TDK on Blu-ray.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Then why was there a $30 SE Blu Ray at Wal-Mart?

There were two entirely seperate Blu Ray's. A $25 bare-bones, and a $30 SE. I looked at 'em when they were released.

Board footer