You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: The BATMAN Thread

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Tbh, nobody has ever stole the show as Bruce. Batman has only really had power for me with Keaton's Batman.

The supporting characters are always the powerhouse in Batman, whether it's the 60's Batman TV series, Burton's Batman, Animated Series, Schumacher's Batman, or Arkham Asylum & City video games.

To me the two guys who have been really the glue in this whole trilogy and very understated, has been Michael Caine's Alfred and Morgan Freeman's Lucius Fox.

They have been the glue imo.

Bale did in Batman Begins. I feel the glue of the trilogy is Bale, Caine, and Oldman. While I liked the increased focus on Gordon in TDK, I did not like the fact that Bruce had to take a back seat to Dent and the Joker. Fuck that shit. And I say that as someone who loved the fact that both of those characters were treated well by the filmmakers. This new trailer has a moment at the beginning between Alfred and Bruce that really gets back to the heart of what was going on in Batman Begins. I am optimistic that they will finish this off focusing properly on the main character again.

You know what, I recant my statement. You're absolutely right.

For whatever stupid reason, when I thought about Bale as Bruce, I thought of the scenes at home before Ra's comes in and after.

I completely forgot about those AMAZING scenes as Bruce was finding himself, learning with the League of Shadows...

Great, legendary Batman stuff.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Bono wrote:

I thought it was fucking stupid how they replaced Katie Holmes with Maggie Gyllenhall.

tejastech08 wrote:

Bale did in Batman Begins. I feel the glue of the trilogy is Bale, Caine, and Oldman. While I liked the increased focus on Gordon in TDK, I did not like the fact that Bruce had to take a back seat to Dent and the Joker. Fuck that shit. And I say that as someone who loved the fact that both of those characters were treated well by the filmmakers. This new trailer has a moment at the beginning between Alfred and Bruce that really gets back to the heart of what was going on in Batman Begins. I am optimistic that they will finish this off focusing properly on the main character again.

Agreed. I can understand the Joker but Dent?  TDK was gpood but it was all over the place. I like Batman begins much better.

Holmes was gone. It was just a done deal. People claim "she was pregnant", but the reality was the fanbase hated her, as did critics who claimed up and down how Holmes dragged the whole thing down.

I would've liked to have seen somebody other than Gyllenhaal in the role (because it was just too big a jump), and Rachel to have a bigger role in TDK than she did, before her death.

But Holmes should've never been cast imo. Is she as bad of an actress as she gets? Hell no, leave that to Kristen Stewart to ham it up. But Holmes was all wrong for the Batmanverse.

As for Begins vs. TDK, i've heard that argument before. I still think TDK is the "action" film, and Begins is the "drama".

Just depends on what you prefer.

I think by the time Rises comes out, Nolan's "Batman Trilogy" is gonna be the Back To The Future of it's era. Rarely criticized, and will be universally seen as a benchmark, and you'll have fans that just can't choose between which one is their favorite. And it'll just keep gaining fans as it gets older.

I know Batman is a business, but I would be stunned if WB & DC tainted it's reputation by immediately bringing back Batman for a new Part IV within 3-4 years. Just don't see it happening.

AtariLegend wrote:

Holmes didn't do it, cause Tom suggested it was a bad career move and the "love scenes" that never got filmed. That's why she done "Mad Money" instead, Nolan obvioulsy wasn't too amused in an interview where he mentions her doing something else.

Reality is, she thought was above it and was making a great career move with Mad, It bombed both commercially and critically. TDK became one of the biggest films of all time.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Thus the reason she should've never gotten cast in the first place.

WHAT A DUMBASS, seriously.

Didn't Linda Hamilton pass on Sigourney Weaver's role in Avatar? Sweet jesus.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Holmes didn't do it, cause Tom suggested it was a bad career move and the "love scenes" that never got filmed. That's why she done "Mad Money" instead, Nolan obvioulsy wasn't too amused in an interview where he mentions her doing something else.

Reality is, she thought was above it and was making a great career move with Mad, It bombed both commercially and critically. TDK became one of the biggest films of all time.

I highly doubt she felt she was above it. I woudln't be surpised if Tm manipulates her. She had potential to be a romantic comedy  star and do a few other things but her career has been snuffed out pretty much ever since she hooked up with Tom Cruise.  Although she had some stint on broadway which i thik was pretty well recieved. I ahve no diea what it was though. I think she was in that new Adam Sandler movie though.... The previews loooked shit though so I never saw it haha.

I thought she worked well in Batman Begins but yeah a lot of people bagged on her big time. I thought Maggie Gyllenhall was aweful though.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

While Nolan has had full creative control of TDK and TDKR, I fully believe WB forced him to hire Holmes since she was on Dawson's Creek, a WB TV show. They wanted to target the teeny bopper market by having her in the movie. If that is the only thing they really forced on him, we got lucky. She was bad, but she didn't ruin the movie. And it is the BEST live action Batman movie precisely because it focuses on Bruce's journey rather than the other characters.

I really like what I'm seeing with TDKR's marketing so far. Both trailers have put an emphasis on Bruce again, and the first trailer even replayed the Ra's speech about Bruce becoming a legend. The exchange between Alfred and Bruce in the new trailer is heartbreaking. You guys will see it soon enough, unless you've found a bootleg already.

AtariLegend wrote:

Alot better quality than the original leak I saw, expect it to be taken down fast.

Just seen 2nd trailer too, looks great.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

Tom Hardy is going to be awesome as Bane. Here is the bootleg trailer for you guys. Password is Selina. Be sure to capitalize it.

http://vimeo.com/33819720

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Thx for that Atari.

Mmm, I don't know if i'm "fired up" yet. Begins didn't really impress me when I first saw the trailer, because I still had the bad taste of Batman & Robin in my mouth. I actually didn't even bother with returning to the Batman franchise until the summer of 2008 when TDK got so much hype, that I figured i'd finally sit down and watch it. Caught it being rerun on FX cable (edited w/ tons of commercials mind you), and was just blown away. Then went to see TDK a couple days later with huge anticipation.

The trailers for TDK blew me away, and the film lived up to that. I've said before, TDK is Batman's "Terminator 2", "Aliens", "Dawn of the Dead", "Lethal Weapon 2", "Back To The Future Part II"... everything is just bigger and badder. Loved it for that.

But so far, although VERY little has trickled out... not fired up for Rises yet. Just haven't seen anything to do that. When I see more, it'll probably happen.

Btw, in Trailer #2, that dance with Bruce & Selina Kyle... VERY reminiscent of Batman Returns.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Thx for that Atari.

Mmm, I don't know if i'm "fired up" yet. Begins didn't really impress me when I first saw the trailer, because I still had the bad taste of Batman & Robin in my mouth. I actually didn't even bother with returning to the Batman franchise until the summer of 2008 when TDK got so much hype, that I figured i'd finally sit down and watch it. Caught it being rerun on FX cable (edited w/ tons of commercials mind you), and was just blown away. Then went to see TDK a couple days later with huge anticipation.

The trailers for TDK blew me away, and the film lived up to that. I've said before, TDK is Batman's "Terminator 2", "Aliens", "Dawn of the Dead", "Lethal Weapon 2", "Back To The Future Part II"... everything is just bigger and badder. Loved it for that.

But so far, although VERY little has trickled out... not fired up for Rises yet. Just haven't seen anything to do that. When I see more, it'll probably happen.

Btw, in Trailer #2, that dance with Bruce & Selina Kyle... VERY reminiscent of Batman Returns.

Yep, tribute for sure. This Selina seems to be a different cat altogether though. Class warfare appears to be a major theme of this film, which could make it the most relevant superhero movie ever made if it actually executes these themes properly. What's amazing is Nolan wrote the script before all this Occupy Wall Street stuff started happening recently. He sorta stumbled into it, although there were hints of this kind of social unrest when the bank bailouts happened 3 years ago (aka shortly after TDK came out and right before Nolan wrote TDKR's script). But that faded away for awhile. It has come back with a vengeance recently and it will remain a major issue as long as the job market sucks so much.

Board footer