You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Baz blames internet for album tanking, no new album for "a LONG time"

buzzsaw wrote:

We won't lose our rockstars, just the ones nobody wants to hear from.  If you are good at whatever genre you're in musically, you will be successful.  Chart rankings are still relative to other current releases, not releases from the pre-internet era.  If you're 90th in the top 100 in sales today, you'd be roughly 90th out of 100 10 years ago.

The key is that you don't make your money on album sales anymore.  You have to do other things to support yourself.  Most artists are starting to get that, others are whining to the media.  Everything changes.  Ignore that and you become Bach - a once pretty good singer from a once pretty good band.  there's nothing wrong with that, but when your claim to fame outside of your 80s success is reality tv, licking Axl Rose's balls, and singing on Broadway, you can't expect to sell a million records just by putting Axl Rose on your album and going out of the way to tell everybody he's on it instead of talking about what you did.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I guess my issue with this whole collapse thing is the concept that the music is no longer the primary product in the marketplace. If they only earn a living through T-Shirts and Tours (cool as tours are) then that doesn't seem to me to be an improvment. Afterall - think of Axl - would you rather see him do the same show live again or listen to a new CD of material from him?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

14,000 copies was more than i expected it to sell in a month

russtcb wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I guess my issue with this whole collapse thing is the concept that the music is no longer the primary product in the marketplace. If they only earn a living through T-Shirts and Tours (cool as tours are) then that doesn't seem to me to be an improvment. Afterall - think of Axl - would you rather see him do the same show live again or listen to a new CD of material from him?

No one is saying we won't get new material from artists. We'll just get it in a different way. Who knows, maybe people will take the "Prince Approach". Maybe you'll go see the artist and get their new CD at the show as part of the package. All I know is something has to be done differently and it's going to involve alot of work, something people like Sebastian Bach apparently don't believe in.

That approach would make me download more.   I don't have the money or the time to go to shows everytime I wanted an album.   I think Itunes is the perfect way to go, it's cheaper then the stores and you can download it right to your ipod or make your own cd, only problem is you don't get any cover art but with it being cheaper overall and more convenient then I'd say that's the way to go.   Then the artist wouldn't have to worry about the extra expense for cover art being copied and liner notes, cases, shipping, etc.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Here's some advice: Next time, record an album people want to listen to. Only a handful of people on the planet are interested in some new late 80's hair metal material.

Angel Down is hardly late 80s hair metal.    People just associate Baz with hair metal because of the first Skid Row album.

Thats part of the problem, and he has never done anything to remove the stigma. In fact, he seems to embrace it.

James, Skid Row's most successful album, the second one, Slave to The Grind, wasn't hair metal at ll. It was the first heavy metal to open at No1 on Billboard. On the other hand, neither the first, self-titled album was pure hair metal. Baz didn't tank because people rank him as a hair metal act. He tanked because his completely irrelevant today, and hasn't done any significant since SR's Subhuman Race in 1995, and that album was a failure, compared to their previous works. It's very hard to get back to the top after 10+ years or irrelevance.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

It's very hard to get back to the top after 10+ years or irrelevance.

Tell that to...nevermind.

Acekicken
 Rep: 12 

Acekicken wrote:

And people wonder Why Axl dose not want to put out a CD?
How many so called Axl fans Down loaded the 3 songs from Sebastian's CD
instead of buying it? As for the Record sales it is 14,000 sold in the US & even
,more internationally.   As for the guy who brought up Bring em Bach Alive
there was ZERO promotion for it Sebastian put it out did a short tour & then
went on to Star in a very successful Broadway play known as Jekyll n Hyde.

If I where Axl I would "NEVER" put out the new CD.. Are you really a fan or do you just want the music at no cost?

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Acekicken wrote:

And people wonder Why Axl dose not want to put out a CD?
How many so called Axl fans Down loaded the 3 songs from Sebastian's CD
instead of buying it? As for the Record sales it is 14,000 sold in the US & even
,more internationally.   As for the guy who brought up Bring em Bach Alive
there was ZERO promotion for it Sebastian put it out did a short tour & then
went on to Star in a very successful Broadway play known as Jekyll n Hyde.

If I where Axl I would "NEVER" put out the new CD.. Are you really a fan or do you just want the music at no cost?

If the album was good, it would sell.  The Axl fans downloaded it because deep down, they really don't give a fuck about Baz.  It's really that simple.  The same exact thing would happen if the other band members moved on.  A select few would follow them, but most would ignore everything they did outside of GnR.

Axl wouldn't immediately have the same problem, though he would if he were to ever release a second album (I know, ha ha).  Axl is just as irrelevant as Baz and VR - the only difference is the curiosity factor towards what CD is like there was a curiosity with Contraband.  Once that's gone, it's over and THAT is why we don't have CD yet.  Axl knows this.  The ONLY things he has going for him at this point are the curiosity factor towards CD and the possibility of a reunion with the original guys.  That is why there's no CD and that is why he never shoots down the reunion rumors.  Baz doesn't have either, so he tried to use Axl to sell his record and it didn't work.  Axl fans downloaded it instead.  What did he really think was going to happen?

Board footer