You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Baz blames internet for album tanking, no new album for "a LONG time"

James wrote:

He blames illegal downloading for the poor sales of his new CD, which doesn't explain why his last, pre-Napster album sold only 19,000 copies in the US.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … emID=86910

SEBASTIAN BACH: 'It's Going To Be A Long, Long Time Before You See Another CD From Me' - Dec. 17, 2007

Hardrock Haven recently conducted an interview with former SKID ROW frontman Sebastian Bach about his new album, "Angel Down"; his involvement in the VH1 "reality" show "SuperGroup"; what it's like being in control of his own recording and distribution without worrying about a label; recording with Axl Rose; and a whole lot more. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow:

Hardrock Haven: The downside of Ted Nugent is his lack of flexibility towards change within his own music. His greatest mistakes has been staying in the same shell and never being open to adaptation, even if it was in the best interest of his music. On "SuperGroup", I thought this was shown pretty clearly as he would not listen to Evan's BIOHAZARD material to get a feel of who he was playing with. What's your up close and personal take on this, was he more open than it appeared?

Bach: Nugent is the alpha male in whatever situation he walks into; coming from me, that is amazing because it's usually been me. My height, my hair, it's all big and loud, but Nugent overshadows Bach. Think about it dude, he's a lead singer, he does not want another singer, he's a great singer!

Hardrock Haven: I wanted to say that America loves you as a musician and millions of ladies for your great looks (especially hair) but in my mind you really appealed to them when you expanded and really shared (during "SuperGroup" especially) the pain you have experienced over your fight with alcohol. Where do you stand with that today? I'm sure millions of folks wonder how you are doing.

Bach: "SuperGroup" was cool and I'm glad you loved it but, I wish there was more music shown. With the drinking I'm not doing too well. Last week I had a meltdown at the Newark Airport. But I have not had a drink since then. I quit drinking again, and a week for me is saying something.

Hardrock Haven: Were you a QUIET RIOT fan? Do you have any feelings or comments on the passing of Kevin DuBrow?

Bach: You got to remember my background. My first tour was opening up for BON JOVI and no matter what everyone says about JOVI, they know how to party, plus they have a lot of money, so there was plenty of everything. Then my second tour [was] AEROSMITH, then we did MÖTLEY CRÜE on our next one. Then GN'R was up next and finally we chose PANTERA to open the last SKID ROW tour I was on. Now you tell me what else have I known? I mean, do you kick a dog for shitting in your living room, hell that's all I know, it's all I've ever known. Well I am sad that he passed, but it's simply another example that cocaine sucks. I don't do coke; my deal has been pot and red wine. I have seen to many people die from it, like my friend Shannon Hoon and now Kevin DuBrow. I have never spanked my sons but I will put them in the hospital if I ever find out they're doing hard drugs like ecstasy, acid or cocaine. Go ask John Entwistle about cocaine. So the answer, I guess, you should really say of what I think of Kevin DuBrow dying is cocaine fucking sucks.

Hardrock Haven: Any current singers or bands that you really like?

Bach: Like you, I need metal to get through my day, dude; I like HATEBREED, HELLYEAH, or PRIEST's "British Steel".

Hardrock Haven: What are your future goals and dreams within the music business as well as other?

Bach: It's too obvious of an answer I am standing in my living room looking at the SKID ROW records. Hell, one of them 6,000,000 sold in U.S alone, but the Internet has changed everything. Hell, I have 84,000 friends on MySpace, if every one of them bought my album that would be cool, but with the Internet pirating and ripping a copy for their friends that's not going to happen. When I hear an album like HATEBREED's "Supremacy", I go to the store and I buy it because I don't want it (metal) to die. These guys don't care about the industry; they just want to be my friend on MySpace. It's fucking crazy. It took me seven years to do this record. I know one thing: it's going to be a long, long time before you see another CD from me. Hell who knows; maybe I'll get a call from another "Fear Factor" to eat some bugs, so I can do another CD. (laughing)

James

James wrote:

Cry me a fucking river......

This is hilarious to a certain degree. When it was first released, and the reality known as sales figures hadn't been released yet, the Baz camp was claiming it was flying off shelves and to contact them with your local store info. THEN, when reality set in, it was a distribution problem. NOW, its the fans who are to blame.

Get a fucking clue. Its the 21st century. ALL artists deal with this. Its a sign of the times.

Here's some advice: Next time, record an album people want to listen to. Only a handful of people on the planet are interested in some new late 80's hair metal material. Also, show confidence in your material instead of basing all your promo on Axl Rose, who has a dwindling fanbase and very little general interest.

It's the harsh reality of the times.   I was gonna ask him how he felt about this if I was taken on the Eddie Trunk show.

There were his loyal fans that definitely supported and bought the album.  Considering he did this album himself, it's a harder hit because it's his money and not the labels money.  I can see him pissed but it's something that every artist needs to take into consideration.

Duff said it best, your income now as an artist is in everything but album sales.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James

James wrote:

One other thing: Hilarious that he thought having almost 100,000 "friends" on myspace meant he was gonna sell at least that many albums. Your "friends" list on myspace is almost meaningless. People just add a bunch of people for the hell of it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I dunno why everyone thinks this is so funny. Its not a good situation. It means people like Baz stop being able to live off playing music, and end up working in kmart or something. we loose our rock stars, they become regular chumps, and we have to listen to shit bands forever.

James

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I dunno why everyone thinks this is so funny. Its not a good situation. It means people like Baz stop being able to live off playing music, and end up working in kmart or something. we loose our rock stars, they become regular chumps, and we have to listen to shit bands forever.

The music industry collapsing isn't funny, its his reaction to it that is.

Baz and his camp now have 3 different reasons for its failure, and pop an excuse out when the prior ones failed....

It was too much in demand

A distribution problem

Fans being blamed for downloading

What next??

This isn't 1991 where a Baz record is going to sell millions. We have a hardcore Baz supporter here(Ace) and maybe he should inform Baz that its 2007. Whether you love or hate Baz, there is one fact that cant be denied--he is not relevant anymore. The generation now is not praying for a Baz record to be released. The current generation has their own stars, and Baz aint one of them.

Also, he didn't even tour behind the album. As mentioned quite a few times here, the role of an album has changed. It is now nothing more than a promotional tool to help sell tickets to your tour. If you're not touring, releasing an album is pointless, and Baz is now realizing that.

Even mega stars like Jennifer Lopez are finding out the reality of the changing role of albums. Her last album was expected to sell a few million. It sold 50,000. She didn't tour.

Artists are now having to add 1 plus 1, and the smart ones realize the answer is 2.

Jameslofton wrote:

Here's some advice: Next time, record an album people want to listen to. Only a handful of people on the planet are interested in some new late 80's hair metal material.

Angel Down is hardly late 80s hair metal.    People just associate Baz with hair metal because of the first Skid Row album.

James

James wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Here's some advice: Next time, record an album people want to listen to. Only a handful of people on the planet are interested in some new late 80's hair metal material.

Angel Down is hardly late 80s hair metal.    People just associate Baz with hair metal because of the first Skid Row album.

Thats part of the problem, and he has never done anything to remove the stigma. In fact, he seems to embrace it.

This guy isn't Axl Rose. Axl never allowed himself(or GNR) to be pidgeonholed into a specific genre. Thats why Axl can dump Better or something else on the masses and they wont be shocked. All AFD rehash jokes aside, people know that with Axl you can expect the unexpected musically. Its one reason that Axl/GNR were able to survive the grunge movement even though they did basically nothing after it. He couldn't be lumped in with all the hair metal crap from that time.

Baz doesn't have that luxury. He is regarded in the same vein as Jani Lane, Mark Slaughter,etc. Is Baz more talented than those guys? Sure, but he continually embraced that genre, and living off that former fame did not help his cause.

Baz claims this album was seven years in the making. You ever hear anyone ask about an update during those years? Of course not.

He is a relic from a time that is long gone. Can he do something to change that? Possibly. He just shouldn't be shocked that his album isn't flying off the shelves and then blaming fans for the lack of interest and telling them they wont get an album anytime soon because of it. Thats not how you treat your fanbase. If he thinks sales for this album were low, wait until his next album comes out and people remember his attitude regarding this one.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer