You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Serious question

Neemo wrote:

like i said that was over a year ago in toronto, nov 15, 2006....he may have since 19

I can understand why some people wouldn't like the site, but for someone like me, its great.  I can't stand MyGNR where everyone just mocks the band.. this is a nice alternative to those of us who really care about the current GnR lineup and not so much VR.   It gets really old hearing the same old "its not gnr" and "its not the same without slash" day in and day out and HTGTH really filters most of that type out.  I think it works out for the better. 

A site like this provides a nice balance for all fans of anything GNR related, and the membership is smaller and (well most of us) are mature enough to have intelligent discussions.   But when you get to a site with the membership size of HTGTH or MyGNR, you have to put a little more smack down(htgth) or you have chaos(mygnr).   

And if Jarmo has met Axl, good for him.  He deserves it, he's ran that site for 11 years and he's one of the most dedicated Gnr fans I've ever come across on these boards.

F*ck Fear
 Rep: 4 

F*ck Fear wrote:

I have to say there are a few sites that I do visit, and HTGTH is one I am least logged on to. The rules are too much. Although the download area is pretty cool. Lots of cool cats that share with the community.
I visit MyGNR the most, as I've been there three years and know a number of people for a while.
I also go to CD.com. I used to visit there the most, but over the last year, I've lost my intrest. There are great people that I stay in touch with from CD.com but lots of the memebers have come and gone.
I come here pretty often. I'm pretty new, and know only a few from other boards, but it's way cool.
Also GNRSource. That's a cool place to go as well.

I've never really posted much at HTGTH though.

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Abbey_Road wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

I can understand why some people wouldn't like the site, but for someone like me, its great.  I can't stand MyGNR where everyone just mocks the band.. this is a nice alternative to those of us who really care about the current GnR lineup and not so much VR.   It gets really old hearing the same old "its not gnr" and "its not the same without slash" day in and day out and HTGTH really filters most of that type out.  I think it works out for the better. 

A site like this provides a nice balance for all fans of anything GNR related, and the membership is smaller and (well most of us) are mature enough to have intelligent discussions.   But when you get to a site with the membership size of HTGTH or MyGNR, you have to put a little more smack down(htgth) or you have chaos(mygnr).   

And if Jarmo has met Axl, good for him.  He deserves it, he's ran that site for 11 years and he's one of the most dedicated Gnr fans I've ever come across on these boards.

I read the news over there, but the threads are ridiculous.  When an admin starts calling posters things like "fucking idiots" and accuses them of not being a real fan because they ask questions about the album only to get their posts deleated is ridiculous.  Verbal abuse is against the rules yet it's okay for the admin of that site to do it?  Pot - Kettle - Black.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Dreamline
 Rep: 64 

Dreamline wrote:
downliner wrote:

Thats my account at Hell deleted. The "Mistakes in Slashs Book" thread was a complete joke.

No kidding!  I read through that whole thread and was feeling embarrassed for some of the posts over there.  Sad.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

It's a difficult question.

For one, J has maintained his site for over a decade, an impressive achievement by any rate. He's invested a great deal of personal time (and likely money as well) into building it, since he's considered it fun and worthwhile. His past contributions to the online community cannot be denied or even argued. Ultimately, it is, always was and always will be, his site and he may run it as he pleases.

However, I do feel saddened by how the gears have shifted in more recent times. I've witnessed J developed an open hostility towards VR fans as well as Axl criticizers. There are definetly other places for people to discuss VR, that's not the issue. But I do find the recent activity disheartening for the posters who've grown accustomed to HTGTH as a place to discuss all things related to GNR, past, present and future. A lot of people would like to discuss VR in the proper section, simply because they enjoy the band and the forum. They may have emotional attachment to the place or simply like the fellow members there, which is why they'd prefer HTGTH for their VR discussions over forums dedicated mainly to VR. Telling them to go elsewhere simply because the band is no longer in the admin's good graces for whatever reason is not a very pleasant thing to do. But it his call in the end.

Another thing is the fact that Axl is granted diplomatic immunity. Even back in 2004, I remember engaging in a long discussion over the Slash&Duff v. Axl lawsuit, which was certainly the most interesting current thing in GNR world at the time. The discussion went along for very long while, and numerous points were raised, discussed, researched and debated. The tone wasn't always pro-Axl, the point was merely to cut through the legal terms and find out what made the subpoena tick. Unfortunately, I couldn't imagine such a discussion to be had in the current atmosphere. That is a great shame, as looking back, those long, unmeddled discussions were among the best times I spent at HTGTH.

Merck's open letter is a case-in-point example of what could've resolved into a similar discussion, and I find it proved unmistakably that J had given up on his line of neutrality. The greatest difference in between now and back then is that HTGTH used to be a place for all worthwhile discussions regarding the band(s), be it about how good the new songs sound or why are they taking so long to release an album. Now the gears have shifted and it's openly pro-GNR (and thinly veiled anti-VR).

But it's his board and he may run it the way he chooses. However, it's a shame to see such a great place to be turned into something that now generates so much negativity both externally and within.

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Abbey_Road wrote:

Good post sic.

I just notice a lot of people who used to be at HTGTH are not there anymore.  And I recognize madagas.  He always posted good stuff at HTGTH and when he left there, or didn't  post there as much then I knew something wasn't right.

russtcb wrote:

Overall though, my biggest complaint is this: They are SO pro current-line up GNR but you're not really allowed to discuss anything there. I don't get it?

I think what it is, they try to shut down bullshit rumors and shit they know is not true.   its one of the most read sources of info for GnR on the net and people read things on the internet and automaticaly take it as news.    I think the intention is to keep people from speculating and making assumptions based on things that aren't true.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer