You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: 2008 NFL season

Bono wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Way to not answer any of my claims about the players you listed. And I know why you didn't - you can't argue them away. You know everything I've said about those players is true so you simply attack me.

O.k. here we go. Nevermind the fact I already spelled it out for you you need further confirmation fo how WRONG you are here it is.

Terrence Newman(I bet you don't even know who he is) - Was an All American in college and named  the Big 12 defensive player of the year as well as named the top defensive back in the country in 2002. He was drafted 5th overall by the Cowboys. Also he was a track and field star in the Big 12 winning the 100 meter dash championship in the Big 12 in 2001 and 2002. he's now considerd one of the best DB's in the NFL. I can see how you might think he has no talent.

Marion Barber -  First of all nobody ever said he was a better back than Jacobs or Westbrook or Portis. The statement made was he is a talented back. That is unless no talent hacks gain almost 1000 yards in a  season when they don't even start. He averaged 4.8 yards a carry. Yeah that happend in 2007 when he wasn't a starter. Most of those yards came in the 4th quarter when the Cowboys were closing out games. Thus the reasoning why he's considered by many to be the best 4th quarter running back in football. He lead the NFC with 14 rushing TD's in 2006 and had 10 last year all from a  guy who wasn't the starter. No talent hack?  I guess so.

DeMarcus Ware - No need to get into this cause you clearly didn't know about him  anyways. untill I brought to your attention he almost broke the single season sack record. Good to know your bias didn't cloud your judgement when you said defensively they made no speacial plays.

Jason Witten - Again after I called you on how ridiculous you're being you conceded that yes Jason Witten is awesome. No need to explain it any further.

Terrell Owens - A year ago he broke the Cowboys single season record for recieving TD's and was among the leaders in all recieving categories. Nobody said he was washed up last year but this year when he only scored ten TD's and just over  1000 yards he's washed up. Way keep it in perspective CC.

I could go on and on CC but you clearly don't wanna hear it.  You wanna spout your original albiet  lame opinion rather than look at these guys objectivley as individual talents. Seriously anyone who doubts the talent on the Cowboys roster just isn't paying attention. Other than TO(cause he comes with baggage) there's almost noone on the Copwboys who you woudln't take on the Bills. you'd say no to Terrance Newman? Bradie James?  Marion Barber? I think we all know the answer to this CC even if you dont' wanna admit it.

Communist China wrote:

Blind hater? I think not. There are at least 5 teams I like less than the Cowboys but I don't spend my time discrediting them because they aren't given reputations they don't deserve. The Cowboys will not make the playoffs with these guys - they need a couple new players. No single coaching change will turn them into a playoff team.

What's really precious about that comment is  these same players were 13-3 last year. Won a division title, made the playoffs. Were 4-1 this year and again 8-4 and 9-5 before tanking. Trust me buddy a team with as little heart as the Cowboys does not fucking go 13-3 or even 9-7 without  bucketloads of talent to coast on. If the Bills had the same heart as the Cowboys they'd go 0-16. Figure it out CC. I have no problem with you hating the Cowboys or even thinking they suck but you sound like a jackass when you flat out say they aren't a talented group of football players. Even my fucking Mom knows they're talented. Had you harped on this before the season CC maybe you'd have some credibility in your arguement but you waited untill they missed the playoffs to say this cause you, like  everyone else would never have predicted at the start of the season that a team with the talent that the Cowboys have would miss the playoffs.

Bono

Bono wrote:

I went 4-0 this weekend.  Nothing surprising from my point of view. Now it gets tough.

I like the roll the Chargers are on but if LT is done it's gonna be tough for them. I'm not sure if Sproles is gonna be enough to get it done against the Steelers Defence. Would've been nice to have that 1, 2 punch of LT and Sproles. Still I picked the Chargers to go to the Super Bowl so I'll pick them in a  tight one.

Like the Chargers I think the Eagles have something real good going. I'm picking them to walk into NY and win. It won't be easy but Westbrook will be the difference. The Giants are sort of reminding me of the Cowboys of 2007. Hot till the last few weeks than a circus sideshow starts up, the team starts losing and then it's over.

I'm picking the Titans over the Ravens based on a  hunch and the fact they're at home. Ravens look awesome though.

The Panthers are gonna run the ball down Arizona's throat. I just think they're too good. This might be the blowout game of the week.

Panthers
Eagles
Chargers
Titans

Hahaha watch me go 0-4 this week.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

Report: New incident leads to 'Pacman' release
Cowboys cut troubled cornerback; agent says he's 'somewhat hurt'
NBCSports.com news services
updated 8:15 p.m. ET, Wed., Jan. 7, 2009

IRVING, Texas - Troubled cornerback Adam “Pacman” Jones must look elsewhere in the NFL for another chance. The Dallas Cowboys are done with him.

Jones was released Wednesday by the Cowboys following a turbulent season in which he was suspended six games for an off-field scuffle and made little impact on the field.

The move comes after the Cowboys learned about new allegations against Jones, stemming from an incident during his time with the Titans, ESPN reported.

Three men allege that Jones arranged for someone to shoot at them after a dispute at a strip club in June 2007, ESPN reported. The men went outside the club after a dispute with Jones, and their car was shot at not long after, ESPN reported. A police informant had said that Jones ordered the shooting, ESPN reported.

Atlanta-area police have said the case remains open, but they are not actively investigating it, ESPN reported.

Jones, expected to give the Cowboys a boost on defense and special teams, had no interceptions and averaged just 4.5 yards per punt return. His release will become official Feb. 9, the first day NFL teams can make waiver requests.

“He was surprised, and I think he was obviously somewhat hurt,” said Worrick Robinson, Jones’ Nashville, Tenn.-based attorney. “At the same time, he understands the business behind what is happening here.”

Jones’ attorney added he expects the cornerback will be back with some team in 2009.

“He is young. He has a lot of ability and he is eager to get back on the field,” Robinson said.

Cowboys spokesman Rich Dalrymple declined to comment on the team’s decision and said owner Jerry Jones was unavailable. Coach Wade Phillips and linebacker Greg Ellis, who is the team’s representative to the player’s union, did not immediately return messages left by The Associated Press.

The Cowboys traded for Jones despite the cornerback’s suspension for the 2007 season after multiple off-field incidents while with the Titans. He was given another chance and cleared to play in 2008 by commissioner Roger Goodell.

But on Oct. 7, Jones got into a scuffle with a bodyguard who was part of a team-employed security detail. A week later, Goodell suspended the cornerback indefinitely, which eventually turned into a six-week suspension. Jones missed a seventh game later in the season with an injury.

The 25-year-old Jones spent part of his time away from football taking part in an alcohol rehabilitation program.

“He was a young man who needed the opportunity to be in treatment, and he got the treatment he needed,” Robinson said. “He came out of there a better person and a healthier person because of that.”

Robinson said he did not think Jones’ suspension was a factor in the Cowboys’ decision to release the cornerback.

“We don’t have any reason to believe at this point that that off-the-field incident had anything to do with the team’s decision today,” Robinson said. “I know there was certainly a lot of bad that came out of that situation, but there was some good that came out of that situation as well.”

The yearlong ban in 2007 and six-week suspension in 2008 contributed to Jones playing below expectations, Robinson said.

“Being off a year is certainly going to affect most every athlete,” Robinson said. “I think he made good strides through training camp and through the first few games, and then I think his six-game suspension did knock him back a little bit.”

When Jones was traded to Dallas in April, Tennessee received a fourth-round draft pick. The Titans were also supposed to get a sixth-rounder next year, but because Jones was suspended again, Dallas will instead receive a fifth-round pick in 2009.

Before coming to Dallas, Jones was arrested six times and involved in 12 instances requiring police intervention after Tennessee drafted him in the first round in 2005.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

URL: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28547214/

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

^^ Anyone remeber Lawrence Phillips from the mid-90's.. Seems like history just repeating itself there. Pac Mans done.  Only Oakland might try giving him a shot, but I doubt it.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

This is good news for the Browns...i'm interested to see what they do next year

CLEVELAND - Eric Mangini is the new head coach of the Cleveland Browns, a week after being fired by the New York Jets.

A person with knowledge of the negotiations told The Associated Press that Mangini will be introduced Thursday at a news conference at the team's headquarters in Berea. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because Mangini's contract has not been finalized.

Mangini reached an agreement on a four-year deal with the club on Wednesday, the person said.

Mangini is represented by agent Ron Shapiro, who is Mangini's father-in-law.

The 37-year-old Mangini began his NFL career as a ballboy with the Browns in 1994 under then-coach Bill Belichick.

Mangini went 23-25 and made the playoffs once in three seasons with the Jets, who stumbled down the stretch to lose four of their last five games and miss the playoffs after an 8-3 start.

Mangini is taking over the job that one of his best friends in football, Romeo Crennel, was just fired from. The friendship dates to the duo's days as assistants with the Jets under Bill Parcells. Mangini was a defensive assistant while Crennel was the Jets' defensive line coach from 1997-99. Mangini followed Bill Belichick to New England in 2000, and Crennel joined the Patriots' staff a year later after a stint as Cleveland's defensive co-ordinator.

Crennel and his wife, Rosemary, stayed with Mangini and his wife, Julie, for about six months when the Crennels were having a home built after Romeo took the job as New England's defensive co-ordinator.

When Crennel was hired as Cleveland's coach, he wanted Mangini as his defensive co-ordinator but Mangini decided to take over Crennel's spot with the Patriots instead.

Mangini was one of four candidates interviewed by Browns owner Randy Lerner, but the only one with NFL head coaching experience - a prerequisite for Lerner, who also spoke with New York Giants defensive co-ordinator Steve Spagnuolo, New England offensive co-ordinator Josh McDaniels and Browns defensive co-ordinator Mel Tucker.

Mangini was fired by the Jets one day after the club finished a disastrous stretch where they lost to Denver, San Francisco and Seattle - three non-playoff teams - in the final month behind 39-year-old quarterback Brett Favre's failing arm and questionable play calling by Mangini.

Lerner fired Crennel the same morning Mangini was let go but he was unaware Mangini, who will be 38 on Jan. 19, was available when he met with reporters. Lerner, who has also been interviewing general manager candidates, wasted no time in going after Mangini and interviewed him the following night in the New York area.

Lerner was enamoured with Mangini's potential and believed he would bring discipline to the underachieving Browns. During his interview, Mangini identified Baltimore player personnel director George Kokinis as his preference as GM.

Kokinis is expected to interview with Lerner on Sunday.

After Mangini inherited a 4-12 team and led the Jets to 10 wins in his first season, New York's tabloids dubbed him ''Mangenius.'' But by the end of his tenure in the NFL's largest market, he was being called moody, dour and controlling and he took the fall for the team's stunning collapse.

The Jets spent more than US$140 million in off-season additions and traded for Favre, a move Mangini didn't favour but was forced to accept.

Jets running back Leon Washington said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that he was pleased to see Mangini land another head coaching job.

''I am really happy for Coach Mangini,'' Washington said in the e-mail. ''I learned so much from him while he had his tenure with the Jets. His hardworking, selfless and competitive approach really helped me..The Browns got themselves a really good coach.''

Mangini takes over a Browns team with more talent than Crennel had when he arrived in 2005. Cleveland entered 2008 with high expectations after going 10-6 last year. But beginning with a training camp injury to wide receiver Braylon Edward, who cut his foot while running in his socks after practice, the season unravelled quickly.

The Browns blew back-to-back home games in a five-day span and finished the season 4-12 without scoring an offensive touchdown in their final six games. On the way to their fifth season of at least 10 losses in the past six years, the Browns changed quarterbacks, benching Pro Bowler Derek Anderson in favour of Brady Quinn.

Lerner fired GM Phil Savage following a 31-0 loss at Pittsburgh. He then interviewed Scott Pioli, New England's highly regarded director of player personnel, and had hoped to pair him with Mangini in Cleveland. The two began their pro careers together with the Browns, but their relationship may have been strained when Mangini reported the Patriots to the NFL for videotaping New York's defensive signals during a game.

Mangini's hiring could lead to Crennel staying with the Browns. After his dismissal, Crennel told Lerner he was open to remaining with Cleveland as an assistant, depending on who replaced him.

www.tsn.ca

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

a wise move by the Pats...they wont be letting Cassel slip away

Report: Patriots will franchise Cassel
The Associated Press
Posted: 01/06/2009 03:04:16 AM EST

Tuesday, January 6
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) — The New England Patriots plan to put the franchise tag on quarterback Matt Cassel, according to a published report.
Cassel's future hinges heavily on Tom Brady's recovery from a season-ending knee injury in the first game this season.

Franchising Cassel would keep him from becoming an unrestricted free agent and give the Patriots an option if they feel Brady might not be ready for the start of the 2009 season. If they're confident that Brady will be ready, they'd be able to trade Cassel.

The Patriots' plan for Cassel was first reported by the National Football Post.

"It's been talked about quite a bit (publicly)," Patriots spokesman Stacey James said Monday. "We won't be commenting on it until something happens. And if we don't use it (the tag), we probably won't comment."

David Dunn, Cassel's agent, did not return telephone calls seeking comment.

Without a franchise tag, Cassel would become an unrestricted free agent starting Feb. 27. The period in which a team can designate a franchise player is Feb. 5 to Feb. 19.

A team can put the franchise tag on one player a year. It would have to pay that player at least the minimum of the average of the five highest salaries of players at the same position, estimated at $14 million for Cassel.

Cassel hadn't started in four years at Southern California and three years with the Patriots until the second game of

his fourth NFL season, one week after Brady was hurt. Cassel started the remaining 15 games for the Patriots, who missed the playoffs despite finishing at 11-5.
He completed 327 passes for 516 yards with 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. His 3,693 yards passing were fourth-most in the AFC, and his 63.4 completion percentage was third-best in Patriots history.

http://www.benningtonbanner.com/ci_1138 … st_emailed

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

to go with the Pacman story .. here's another Jackass

PHILADELPHIA - A gun owned by Indianapolis Colts star Marvin Harrison was used in an April shooting, but investigators still can't determine who pulled the trigger, the city's chief prosecutor said Tuesday.

Five of the six bullet casings found at the North Philadelphia shooting scene came from Harrison's weapon, but investigators have conflicting witness accounts of who fired it, Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne Abraham said.

No charges have been filed in the April 28 shooting and the investigation remains open.

''It's not enough to say that a gun fired a bullet,'' Abraham said. ''I'm not prepared to say who fired the gun.''

She added that she thinks she knows who the gunman was, but doesn't have the evidence to prove it.

The victim has sued Harrison and law enforcement will be keeping tabs on that proceeding to see if any new evidence emerges that could help the criminal investigation, Abraham said.

Harrison's attorney, Jerome Brown, declined to comment Tuesday. The receiver's agent, Tom Condon, said he hadn't talked to his client about the matter in some time, but remained confident Harrison had done nothing wrong.

''Marvin asserted that he hadn't done anything and that he was not involved,'' Condon said. ''I was confident that Marvin wasn't involved.''

Colts president Bill Polian lauded Abraham's decision not to file charges at this time.

''We are pleased with this development and defer to her ability to weigh the actual evidence,'' he said in a statement. ''It would not be appropriate for us to have further comment at this time.''

The San Diego Chargers eliminated the Colts in the first round of the NFL playoffs on Saturday, but Abraham said that had nothing to do with the timing of Tuesday's news conference.

The shooting happened near a car wash owned by Harrison that is about a half mile from a bar he also owns. A child also was hit in the eyes by broken glass, but was treated and released from a hospital, investigators said.

The wide receiver was questioned by police soon after. Harrison said he was at the garage at the time of the shooting; that he knew the victim, Dwight Dixon; and that the two had been in a fist fight two weeks earlier after Dixon tried to enter his bar with a gun, Abraham said.

Harrison said his gun had been at his suburban home on the day of the shooting and that it had not been fired since it was bought a year or two earlier, Abraham added.

Dixon sued Harrison in September, claiming he sustained ''serious and permanent injuries'' to his arm and body and a ''severe shock'' to his nervous system.

Harrison, who played at Philadelphia's Roman Catholic High, has owned the bar, Playmakers, since July 2004, according to state records.

The 36-year-old receiver has played all of his 12 seasons with the Colts and is the franchise's record holder in every major receiving category. He is one of only four players in league history to top 1,000 receptions.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=262142& … dlines_nfl

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
Bono wrote:

I went 4-0 this weekend.  Nothing surprising from my point of view. Now it gets tough.

I like the roll the Chargers are on but if LT is done it's gonna be tough for them. I'm not sure if Sproles is gonna be enough to get it done against the Steelers Defence. Would've been nice to have that 1, 2 punch of LT and Sproles. Still I picked the Chargers to go to the Super Bowl so I'll pick them in a  tight one.

Like the Chargers I think the Eagles have something real good going. I'm picking them to walk into NY and win. It won't be easy but Westbrook will be the difference. The Giants are sort of reminding me of the Cowboys of 2007. Hot till the last few weeks than a circus sideshow starts up, the team starts losing and then it's over.

I'm picking the Titans over the Ravens based on a  hunch and the fact they're at home. Ravens look awesome though.

The Panthers are gonna run the ball down Arizona's throat. I just think they're too good. This might be the blowout game of the week.

Panthers
Eagles
Chargers
Titans

Hahaha watch me go 0-4 this week.

i think you are right with the Panthers....chargers will be a close one...depends on Rothesberger and obviously which SD team shows, and how well Sproles does though he has been impressive when filling in for LT....I'm going for the Chargers though

Jacobs is healthy and they've had a week rest...Giants are gunns literally run all over Philly...Titans have been weak of late I'm taking the Ravens there

I have a sneaky feeling that it'll be a Car/Bal superbowl...though I'd like to see Chargers/Carolina

AND BTW...Peyton Manning winning the League MVP this year is bullshit IMO 4

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Bono wrote:

Terrence Newman(I bet you don't even know who he is) - Was an All American in college and named  the Big 12 defensive player of the year as well as named the top defensive back in the country in 2002. He was drafted 5th overall by the Cowboys. Also he was a track and field star in the Big 12 winning the 100 meter dash championship in the Big 12 in 2001 and 2002. he's now considerd one of the best DB's in the NFL. I can see how you might think he has no talent.

I never said no talent. Just not talented enough. Sure he's not a bad starting corner but he's no all-star. And don't bring up college stats to prove NFL capability. That's just silly and I'm sure you realize that. Considered one of the best by who? My whole point is that sports media overrates them, so don't use their opinions. Good college career + high draft status = jack shit. Talk to Ryan Leaf.

Marion Barber -  First of all nobody ever said he was a better back than Jacobs or Westbrook or Portis. The statement made was he is a talented back. That is unless no talent hacks gain almost 1000 yards in a  season when they don't even start. He averaged 4.8 yards a carry. Yeah that happend in 2007 when he wasn't a starter. Most of those yards came in the 4th quarter when the Cowboys were closing out games. Thus the reasoning why he's considered by many to be the best 4th quarter running back in football. He lead the NFC with 14 rushing TD's in 2006 and had 10 last year all from a  guy who wasn't the starter. No talent hack?  I guess so.

Well here's the deal, I'll explain a simple fact about the playoffs- if you're last in your division, you don't make the playoffs. Doesn't matter how tough a division is, last is last, and it means no playoffs. So regardless of Barber's being competent, he's the worst in the division. And that isn't good enough to make the playoffs. Better hope he gets better or the other 3 get worse.

DeMarcus Ware - No need to get into this cause you clearly didn't know about him  anyways. untill I brought to your attention he almost broke the single season sack record. Good to know your bias didn't cloud your judgement when you said defensively they made no speacial plays.

I clearly didn't know about him? So you're trying to allege ignorance instead of admitting I have an open mind and can admit when a player is truly all-star level? How mature.

Jason Witten - Again after I called you on how ridiculous you're being you conceded that yes Jason Witten is awesome. No need to explain it any further.

Again, I never said Witten wasn't great. I maintain that two great players isn't enough. That has always been my position.

Terrell Owens - A year ago he broke the Cowboys single season record for recieving TD's and was among the leaders in all recieving categories. Nobody said he was washed up last year but this year when he only scored ten TD's and just over  1000 yards he's washed up. Way keep it in perspective CC.

He's on a downward spiral. Still very good but his best days are gone and if they continue to rely on him that's a bad thing. Unless they plan on winning the Super Bowl in the next year or two they'll need a different number 1 receiver - and of course, teams that missed the playoffs completely and haven't won a playoff game in a decade don't usually win it all the following year.

I could go on and on CC but you clearly don't wanna hear it.  You wanna spout your original albiet  lame opinion rather than look at these guys objectivley as individual talents. Seriously anyone who doubts the talent on the Cowboys roster just isn't paying attention. Other than TO(cause he comes with baggage) there's almost noone on the Copwboys who you woudln't take on the Bills. you'd say no to Terrance Newman? Bradie James?  Marion Barber? I think we all know the answer to this CC even if you dont' wanna admit it.

I would say no to Barber - Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson are both more talented backs. Newman I'd take but the Bills don't have a good enough pass defense to make the playoffs, partially evidenced by our missing the playoffs. And everyone needs a good 2nd or 3rd corner, which Newman is. He's just not an all-star corner and you need an all-star player there given the rest of the pass defence on Dallas. Safeties and line-backers aren't picking up that slack. James had a good season, but it's his first. And again, you'd want your best linebacker to be better than he is. Me wanting the best of the Cowboys to fill out 2nd or 3rd spots on the Bills depth chart doesn't make them talented enough for a playoff team. Just shows how bad both teams are.

Communist China wrote:

Blind hater? I think not. There are at least 5 teams I like less than the Cowboys but I don't spend my time discrediting them because they aren't given reputations they don't deserve. The Cowboys will not make the playoffs with these guys - they need a couple new players. No single coaching change will turn them into a playoff team.

Bono wrote:

What's really precious about that comment is  these same players were 13-3 last year. Won a division title, made the playoffs. Were 4-1 this year and again 8-4 and 9-5 before tanking. Trust me buddy a team with as little heart as the Cowboys does not fucking go 13-3 or even 9-7 without  bucketloads of talent to coast on. If the Bills had the same heart as the Cowboys they'd go 0-16. Figure it out CC. I have no problem with you hating the Cowboys or even thinking they suck but you sound like a jackass when you flat out say they aren't a talented group of football players. Even my fucking Mom knows they're talented. Had you harped on this before the season CC maybe you'd have some credibility in your arguement but you waited untill they missed the playoffs to say this cause you, like  everyone else would never have predicted at the start of the season that a team with the talent that the Cowboys have would miss the playoffs.

I was blinded like everyone else by the media. I thought they were talented. Then I saw them play and I thought it was a fluke when they sucked. But it kept happening. I'm sharing this now because it's a fairly new revelation. I don't see how needing to see things happen before I can analyze them makes my thoughts less valid. I thought they would be in the playoffs. I thought they were very talented. I was doubly wrong.

Bono

Bono wrote:

That was fucking pathetic. the Titans got absolutely ripped off by the refs. Tied at 10  on roughly their own 40 yard line with about 3:30 to play,  the Ravens were 3rd and like 5 to go when Flacco committed the most obvious delay of game I have ever seen. The play clock had literally run out for a solid two seconds before he snapped the ball and the refs didn't throw a single flag.  The penalty would've obviously forecd Baltimore to punt but instead they got the first down and  proceeded to kick the winning field goal with 52 seconds left. I'm not a fan of either team but man I feel bad for Tennesse, their fans and football fans in general who watched that whole game only to have the refs blatantly decide the outcome. That truely sucks.  I watched it happen and had time to process it and then actually yell at my tv "Delay of game!!". the comentators also shared my disgust and shock with one of them saying "I'm absolutely stunned there was no flag thrown" BRUTAL!

Board footer