You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Re: GNR go Gold

Furbush wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

I think when the Best Buy Deal expires, u will see them maximize it by re releasing it with a new booklet, maybe throw a couple new tracks on it and then tour and do it right.

I think they sort of fucked Best Buy, having them buy that many albums and then profiting without helping much THEN once that deal is over, they start the real promotion thus doubling the cash efforts.

Pretty smart if they do it. I just don't want to hear how Axl is like a Coffee Shop Indy rocker that is all about the "art"

thus... pretty much assuring that they will NEVER get another exclusive deal ever again....

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Bono wrote:
war wrote:

my only gripe with U2 is that the edge is the most one dimensional guitar player i have ever heard

IMO

I don't know. The Edge is pretty creative I think.  Yes he uses alot of effects but that's what he's into. He's not about big self indulgent solos or any of that stuff really. Sure he does solos but it's not what excites him.  You would never have an album like Achtung Baby with the type of guitar player that typically gets worshiped on a site like this or any other site dedicated to a hard rock band. I think calling The Edge one dimmensional is actually the furthest thing away from the truth of what he is.

Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:
war wrote:

my only gripe with U2 is that the edge is the most one dimensional guitar player i have ever heard

IMO

The Edge is about as diverse a guitar player alive!  Heck, he even plays a mean banjo when the notion suits him:buckethead:

the edge is creative and his music fits the songs well and his simple and straightforward approach adds a poppy element to the music. he doesn't try to take over the songs but compliments the other musicians instead. i just can only listen to so much U2 before the music begins to sound the same and it's not bono's vocals i get sick of. 

too much alternate picking over and over again. that's not diverse.

that's ok though, u2 song's are all about the lyrics/vocals. they are different than other rock bands from their time in that fact. they could have been labeled alternative with rem had that label been more acceptable for popular bands at that time.

i love u2.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:
Neemo wrote:

if you guys cant see that U2 is pussy music then there isnt anything i can do to help you 16

I agree, although "pussy music" may be a bit harsh.  I'd say U2 is much more mellow rock and they can rock hard on occasion, while a band like GNR is the opposite.  They rock hard for the most part, and slow it down on occasion.  I prefer it that way.  That's why U2 doesn't do it for me, overall.

I think you could make a case that U2 rocks more than new GnR does.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:
Neemo wrote:

if you guys cant see that U2 is pussy music then there isnt anything i can do to help you 16

I agree, although "pussy music" may be a bit harsh.  I'd say U2 is much more mellow rock and they can rock hard on occasion, while a band like GNR is the opposite.  They rock hard for the most part, and slow it down on occasion.  I prefer it that way.  That's why U2 doesn't do it for me, overall.

I think you could make a case that U2 rocks more than new GnR does.

no I dont think so..cuz even though GnR has some pretty boring ballady songs on CD...there is still some rockers on there that are above what U2 is capable of

IMO of course..veritgo was cheap ass and boring at best...unless there is a heavier hitting song then that that U2 has done recently

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I saw people trying to make a case for CD being as good as AFD.  If people can make that case, then you can make a case for U2 rocking more than new GnR.  That doesn't mean either is true, but you can make a case for it.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I saw people trying to make a case for CD being as good as AFD.  If people can make that case, then you can make a case for U2 rocking more than new GnR.  That doesn't mean either is true, but you can make a case for it.

You can make a case for anything.  I never expected CD to equal AFD.  That album is timeless, came at the perfect time, revolutionized rock music in the 80's.  I think CD is great in all aspects, but nothing is going to match AFD in my opinion.  Some people can think CD is as good if not better than AFD, that's a matter of preference.  I don't see how ANYONE could argue that U2 rocks harder than new GNR.  Sorry.  I realize this was a pretty ballad heavy album, but U2 has never had songs as heavy as the rockers on this album.  I'm not saying that as a slam at U2, it's just not who they are.  They have SOME songs that rock decently hard, but that's not their bread and butter.  Never has been, never will be.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  Just not my cup of tea.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

^thanks faldor I'm glad to see that not everyone has lost their minds 14

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Rocking hard or rocking fast does not necessarily mean "heavy." GNR has never done a song as heavy as U2's "One." Like, to me, the "heaviest" song on CD is "sorry."

That's kind of a whole different argument, but feel free to discuss.

Sky Dog wrote:

Coma is pretty damn heavy lyrically and musically. I don't think One is  emotionally heavier than that. lol

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

to me when i say "heavy" i mean like hard rock "heavy"

"One" isnt a song i'd even remotley consider heavy....unless its was Metallica's version....or Creed's for that matter 16

more often than not i find myself listening to the music and its composition rather than focusing strictly on vocals...though there are times when i get into the vocals and lyrics but all in all I'm more into the instrumental side and how the singing and words fit in with the rest of the instruments...if that makes any sense

Desire is prolly one of the fastest U2 songs but doenst mean its good...in fact the composition of the music is really pretty stupid for that track...even though i have a hell of a time playing it on guitar cuz its played so damn fast

but yeah D-A-E----A-E there is the whole song for you guitar playing people just play it 30 thousand times really fast..and sing "theres a red guitar on fire, deeesiiiiiiire" ..... brilliant

Board footer