You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Tommy performs with Soul Asylum last week in Peru

Bono wrote:

If it's decided this belongs more in Black Hole that's fine. I just figured with Tommy in it,  guys might wanna check it out in here.

Soul Asylum performed a show in Lima, Peru last week(January 15th) and Tommy was with them. They look and sound fucking awesome. Dave Pirner is one of the best and most underrated frontmen ever. Check out the video clips and be sure to put the curser over the little arrow in the  bottom right of the video to get the HQ(high quality) option to pop up. You all probably know that anyways.

Somebody to Shove
[youtube]2E9id74siQg&feature=channel[/youtube]

Bittersweet Heart
[youtube]pHg6gOQ3qvA&feature=channel[/youtube]

Cartoon & Gone till November(Wyclef Jean cover)
[youtube]Buso9QBvV1g&feature=channel[/youtube]

Runaway Train
[youtube]IFPciw-Dj3s&feature=channel[/youtube]
9:mosh::mosh::mosh::mosh::mosh::mosh:

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

cool thanks for the heads up Bono...somebody to shove is a great tune

and runaway train made me wanna learn it on guitar...pretty straight forward tune its been years since i heard it

that drummer is a big fucking dude, holy shit! tommy seems like he enjoys that gig

Sky Dog wrote:

thanks Bono! Good to see Tommy working. The drummer is great. He played a lot with Prince back in the day and plays with Paul Westerberg as well.  The Minneapolis musicians are very close. Fuck, I wish Tommy and Paul could get back together. SA and The Replacements together would be a great show.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
madagas wrote:

Fuck, I wish Tommy and Paul could get back together. SA and The Replacements together would be a great show.

I'm starting to think it will never happen neutral Wouldn't mind throwing Husker into that live lineup though whilst we're dreaming 9

If it's decided this belongs more in Black Hole that's fine. I just figured with Tommy in it,  guys might wanna check it out in here.

Cheers for posting Bono, agreed with madagas that its good to see Tommy getting out there.

Neemo wrote:

that drummer is a big fucking dude

Thats Michael Bland, he was the guy who worked with Westerberg and Stinson in the studio recently. Was kind enough to post photos as proof that the event actually took place 16

IMG00236.jpg
IMG00230.jpg

sa2.jpg
^ Tommy and Bland with SA photo smile

Sky Dog wrote:

Tommy is one cool mofo....I think I have a man crush on him. 18 16

Will

Will wrote:

That Runaway Train live video made me hunt out the original music video on Youtube. Two of the girls shown as "missing since" were murdered by Peter Tobin who just recently stood trial for Vicky Hamiltons death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzS-vPzbLJ0

hmm

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

That's brutal downliner. Such a bummer. On the positive side two of those kids were reunited with their families thanks to that video.

No problem for the videos guys.  I saw them and  and of course noted Tommy instantly but more than anything I'm so impressed with how damn good they sound as of last week. Like holy shit this was last week, not 1993 16

And Madagas a Soul Asylum/Replacements tour would be epic. But like downliner said I doubt
it would ever happen.  I think it was a stretch getting them back together to record a few new tracks for their greatest hits album.

As for Husker Du on the bill downliner, I never really got into them and to be honest don't know a whole lot of their stuff but they'd be an obvious 3rd on the bill given their history and influence on the other two. Funny thing with such a  lineup though is Husker Du would have to open followed by the Replacements with Soul Asylum headlining. Talk about weird. I mean I think even Soul Asylum would feel kind of embarassed/awkward having those guys open for them. It'd almost be like the students surpassing the teachers in a way.  Even though commercially it's been that way for nearly 20 years but Soul Asylum isn't looked upon as the big influence that the other two bands are. Then again I think Soul Asylum has always had a better rep as a live band than either of them maybe. Fuck now you guys got me thinking about it and how awesome it'd really be.

Will

Will wrote:
Bono wrote:

Funny thing with such a  lineup though is Husker Du would have to open followed by the Replacements with Soul Asylum headlining. Talk about weird....

....Fuck now you guys got me thinking about it and how awesome it'd really be.

Even more fucked up would be the fact that Soul Asylum and The Mats would basically be the same band. Chris Mars has no interest in a Mats reunion so duties would fall to Bland given his history of touring with Westerberg and the said recent studio work. Tommy and Bland would be on stage 4 hours with Pirner and Westerberg switching half way through 16

Sounds fucking awesome, someone really needs to get the ball rolling on this. Sorry Axl, Tommys got more important things to deal with 19

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

thanks bono. dave pirner is one of my favorites. my friend claims he was selling door to door for his job here in minneapolis and ended up at dave's house before he made it big and dave said he had no money to buy anything but offered to share some of his chocolate with him? kind of an odd story but he was much too old to lie to me about something so silly.

Board footer