You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Tommy in Bass Player Mag

misterID wrote:

Wow. Thanks for posting that.

Man, I wish he coud have said this shit a long time ago. It really gives Axl's arguement on the creation of Chinese Democracy a whole new light. I truly believe that's what went down and took so long. Too bad Axl didn't say this a long time ago instead of keeping things vague and a secret for so long. And nice insights to how the initial recording porcess went. Makes me want to hear that 99 version of CD.

This shows me that if the 02 version of GNR would have been unleashed it would have been a monster. Tommy definitely wasn't the same on the 06 tour, neither was Robin.

Nice that he gave props to Duff. Sounds like this wait really had an affect on him.

PGER83
 Rep: 5 

PGER83 wrote:

If Axl had come out and said anything about Roy people would have said

" Oh ya BS same as always "

Really cool stuff.

Thanks for posting.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

pretty cool article, tommy seems pretty honest in that

rerecording his parts numerous times, having difficulties intitially with some of the members who never had written or recorded an album before, troubles with baker, frustrations with the label, and with the shear amount of downtime at various stages

listed Riad as one of his highlights

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

That Rio gig sounded crazy. I like that phrase the crowd was so loud it was coming through Axls mike like a jet engine.

Wasnt it 2004 the record company left Axl to his own devices? It was already a ridiculous amount of time passed by that time.

What years was Roy Thomas Baker involved?

Nice to see Duff getting some props from a fellow professional for his playing.
If only Tommy was as distinctive on the record as Duff was, but I think thats down to whoever was in charge of the final mixing stage.

Neemo wrote:

listed Riad as one of his highlights

That and the demo of Chinese Democracy.

His bass is drowned out in the final product.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I don't buy the excuses. I have a good memory. Even back in 1999 the media was guessing why Axl Rose can't release an album. Axl's been acting like it is rocket science to make an album. For him, maybe it is, but the result does not justify the wait. As I see it, even Tommy is unsatisfied with the whole thing and does not want to happen it again.

Sky Dog wrote:

whatever...Tommy was very respectful of Duff which is very cool of him in my opinion. He had to redo his bass parts 5-6 times.....wow.

Mikkamakka wrote:

I don't buy the excuses. I have a good memory. Even back in 1999 the media was guessing why Axl Rose can't release an album. Axl's been acting like it is rocket science to make an album. For him, maybe it is, but the result does not justify the wait. As I see it, even Tommy is unsatisfied with the whole thing and does not want to happen it again.

I just finished reading that interview, and while his Duff comments were cool, I'm still not buying into this "the world was trying to prevent us from releasing this album" rhetoric. Sure. There could have very well been some legitimate bumps in the road, but I don't doubt for a second that the biggest bump was Axl himself. There are just too many stories out there coming from various individuals that suggest otherwise.

He's really looking forward to playing Rhiad live? Wasn't this already done like 7-8 years ago now? Wow. If this is his one of the things he is anticipating the most, this rumored tour of theirs should be a real doozy.

Board footer