You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Loaded Revolver
 Rep: 6 

Re: Slash to Axl: "Whatever, Dude."

Neemo wrote:

ya know...Slash has worked with a multitude of musicians over the years as well...its weird that he doesnt get blasted for the revolving door thing

They aren't even remotely similar, that's why. Snakepit was a solo project, it was never a proper band, and his sessions work doesn't count. Slash has only been in 1 real band since 1997, and released 2 multiplatinum albums with the same 4 guys both times. It helps matters that he has released 4 different albums of his own material since 1995.

Since 1996, GnR has had 14 members leave or replace someone, and that isn't even counting when Izzy was brought back in to write, not counting when Axl had Zakk Wylde come in which was serious enough that Zakk couldn't give Ozzy a straight answer on whether he would tour with him, not counting Dave Navarro and the other guest spots... There has been a total of 11 lineup changes in 13 years, from 1996 to 2009... And only one album released at the end of it.

Apples and oranges.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Loaded Revolver wrote:
Neemo wrote:

ya know...Slash has worked with a multitude of musicians over the years as well...its weird that he doesnt get blasted for the revolving door thing

They aren't even remotely similar, that's why. Snakepit was a solo project, it was never a proper band, and his sessions work doesn't count.

Apples and oranges.

I basically agree with the point you're making, but I'm pretty sure Slash never called Snakepit a solo project. 

He considered it a proper band while it was going on.  A "side project" (at least the 1st version), not a "solo project".

For me, Rex nailed Neemo's initial question.

Rex wrote:

He never called his revolving door of musicians "Guns N' Roses." tongue

Loaded Revolver
 Rep: 6 

Ok, side project...

That's all fine and good lol...

In the previous 3 years Slash put out 2 albums with 1 lineup, made 6 videos(?), and had a proper tour for at least 1 of those albums (Riots not included).

Axl put out half as many albums, in nearly 4 times the number of years, with more than twice the number of musicians, is still working on the first video 4 months after the albums release, which should have been done at least 2 months earlier than the release, and can't put together a tour because he still has musicians being replaced, a tour that also should have been started at least 2 months earlier than the release... Oh, he did tour, 6 years before the release (2 riots included). I was shocked about the release, not because it was finally coming out, but for years when someone posted a rumor that the album would be released a month prior to that post, I always said "NO WAY", because a general release date is announced at least 6 months in advance, you have an idea... And then bam, Axl went and did the most unintelligent business move, issuing a release date something like lousy 3 weeks before the actual release, with no tour, no video, NOTHING... Axl should run for fucking U.S. congress, only someone on Capital Hill is capable of spending so much time doing 1 thing, doing it half assed, totally fucking it up at the end, and not piss off his supporters enough to justify not supporting him again.

It isn't the fact that Axl has worked with so many musicians, it's that it's been that many musicians in that much time to produce ONE album. And even worse, if you listen to some of the songs, they don't sound much different than what was leaked out 5 years earlier, and those leaks weren't leaked out the day they were recorded, those leaks more than likely were representative of how far along they were a year or 2 before that.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I was thinking about this earlier today Neemo. He didn't even have the same singer on the two Snakepit albums.

Snakepit was a side project for Slash. People bought the albums to hear Slash play. The rest of the band was incidental really.

GNR was a global collosus with millions of fans the vast majority having a stated 'favourite guy' in the band. Loosing all of those much loved characters and faces was a huge blow to the fans.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

I was thinking about this earlier today Neemo. He didn't even have the same singer on the two Snakepit albums.

Snakepit was a side project for Slash. People bought the albums to hear Slash play. The rest of the band was incidental really.

Side project to what? He wasn't doing anything else.

I bought the album to hear Slash play, too, but guess what? I had to sit through a shitty singer to get to the solos. Same with Contraband. I thought I could get through my dislike of Weiland, but I couldn't, not to mention I didn't like the songs.

My dream is a Slash instrumental album. I don't think I can buy anything else from him until that happens.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Oh right, I geuss Slash was technically still in GNR for the first Snakepit. I stand corrected--corrected myself, that is. Carry on.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:
bigbri wrote:

My dream is a Slash instrumental album. I don't think I can buy anything else from him until that happens.

Board footer