You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: The 'Lost' GNR Album from '96

misterID wrote:

It's hard to even imagine because I just don't think it would ever happen under any circumstance. But if it did I think it would sound VERY close to TSI? and SFTD and it would be pretty raw. They would have flirted more with Grunge, which Axl was way into at the time, possibly even some flashes of industrial synths... Which is probably one of the reasons it wouldn't have happened. And I could see Slash refusing to work on anything with Huge involved, like TWAT, IRS, Catcher...

But I wouldn't rely too much on the Snakepit album or even much of CD, except for TIL. Snakepit was the stuff Axl didn't want, the stuff he did want Slash gave up on according to Axl (perhaps retaliation?) and Duff described a 13 track album with a few acoustic songs, from what I remember.

At any point, a good amount of the songs for the album probably have no vocals or even lyrics. The "lost album" is proabbly a really, really interesting cluster fuck of songs and ideas/melodies/riffs/jams.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Though it sounds rather like there was a finished Slash-era version of TIL - wonder if Slash did a solo for it? Now that'd be something to hear (for all that I love the Finck solo).

elevendayempire

misterID wrote:

And I could see Slash refusing to work on anything with Huge involved, like TWAT, IRS, Catcher...

Like I say, I find Slash's beef with Huge really hard to fathom. He claims that Huge was just some old school friend of Axl's, and "not exactly Izzy". Well, the facts don't bear that out; Huge co-wrote I.R.S., TWAT and Catcher, three of the best tracks off Chinese Democracy (okay, he also co-wrote Back Off Bitch, but even Izzy had his off days).

It seems to boil down to Huge doubling up on the solo in Sympathy for the Devil - which, as I've said, benefited the song. Slash clearly has a bit of an ego on him - God forbid that anyone should attempt to share the limelight with him, even if they're a more talented/technically skilled guitarist. Witness the big spat with Axl over sharing lead duties with Zakk Wylde ("like a giant snake fighting a T-Rex"). Or the Slash and Friends gig, where John 5, for Christ's sake, was stuck on rhythm. Slash seems to get on well with Navarro - probably because Navarro knows to suck it and sit back on rhythm duties during all the Camp Freddy gigs.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

(okay, he also co-wrote Back Off Bitch, but even Izzy had his off days).

lmao 16

Man, until you mentioned his name I totally forgot about them wanting Dave Navarro back then. If that would have happened, not only would there have been a real third album, but the motherfucker would have been TIGHT as fuck. This is a total fandom fantasy, but I'm thinking it would be one of the best albums of the 90's here. He would have totally revitalised them, and of course, the band would have completely imploded from herion abuse. But it would've been a beautiful train wreck.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Just so you guys know listening through to the traclist I made up for this lost album it's soooo good. Like fucking killer. If it had been released really would have been my fav GNR record.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
misterID wrote:

And I could see Slash refusing to work on anything with Huge involved, like TWAT, IRS, Catcher...

Like I say, I find Slash's beef with Huge really hard to fathom. He claims that Huge was just some old school friend of Axl's, and "not exactly Izzy". Well, the facts don't bear that out; Huge co-wrote I.R.S., TWAT and Catcher, three of the best tracks off Chinese Democracy (okay, he also co-wrote Back Off Bitch, but even Izzy had his off days).

It seems to boil down to Huge doubling up on the solo in Sympathy for the Devil - which, as I've said, benefited the song. Slash clearly has a bit of an ego on him - God forbid that anyone should attempt to share the limelight with him, even if they're a more talented/technically skilled guitarist. Witness the big spat with Axl over sharing lead duties with Zakk Wylde ("like a giant snake fighting a T-Rex"). Or the Slash and Friends gig, where John 5, for Christ's sake, was stuck on rhythm. Slash seems to get on well with Navarro - probably because Navarro knows to suck it and sit back on rhythm duties during all the Camp Freddy gigs.

John 5 played lead on Crazy Train, had a solo on War Pigs and Paranoid....

elevendayempire

Smoking Guns wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
misterID wrote:

John 5 played lead on Crazy Train, had a solo on War Pigs and Paranoid....

That's three songs out of twenty. Not exactly an even distribution. smile

elevendayempire

misterID wrote:

(okay, he also co-wrote Back Off Bitch, but even Izzy had his off days).

lmao 16

Man, until you mentioned his name I totally forgot about them wanting Dave Navarro back then. If that would have happened, not only would there have been a real third album, but the motherfucker would have been TIGHT as fuck. This is a total fandom fantasy, but I'm thinking it would be one of the best albums of the 90's here. He would have totally revitalised them, and of course, the band would have completely imploded from herion abuse. But it would've been a beautiful train wreck.

It's frustrating, 'cause I think Navarro would've been the perfect complement to Slash and Axl at the time. Listen to his solo album, and it's full of the experimental NIN-style muso noodlings that Axl was in love with. Listen to the Chilis and Jane's Addiction, and he's nailed the sleaze-rock vibe. He's humble enough to take a back seat to Slash playing classic rock rhythm for the Camp Freddy gigs, but he's musically skilled enough to do the crazy technical Buckethead/Zakk Wylde stuff Axl clearly wanted to bring to the table. And he's just, well... cool.

Of course, there was the small issue of all the heroin...

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

The great talent of Dave Navarro as he learns a new and very simple technique 16

EDIT: Watch all of it but pay special attention to 1:18 lol

elevendayempire

Axl S wrote:

The great talent of Dave Navarro as he learns a new and very simple technique 16

EDIT: Watch all of it but pay special attention to 1:18 lol

tongue

Board footer