You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: First Metallica live DVD since S&M is "in the works"

metallex78 wrote:

I'd rather hear something closer to their live sound than a studio cut and paste job, that's what matters to me

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

And I'm saying that as a Metallica fan.

They did the same thing with Cunning Stunts and S&M - what's the difference?

It's not like they replaced the live performance with an actual studio recording.

There's a part here and a part there that's been replaced due to different circumstances and that's just the way things work. Nearly everybody does it.

I don't see why that's such a big deal.

In the end, the majority of what we hear, is the real deal.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

It's Lars. When it's Lars shit's always a big deal. DVD looks good thing is Hetfield is still past it sad He's improved on his performance but he still isn't even up to any sort of standard. It's just he sounds better now than he did in 03. He still sounds bad though.

Fuck...

Some are REALLY hard to please. (Well, we're on a Guns N' Roses forum!)

How you can state that James Hetfield "sounds bad" is beyond me.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:

He's not bad but the last time he was great was that Cunning Stunts DVD when they were touring. Ever since I Dissapear he has sounded a lot worse. I'll give him credit he is slowly getting better. I.E. He sounds better than 03 and he sounds better in these vids than he did a year ago. So hopefully by the next album he'll be up to a great standard again.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:

Fuck...

Some are REALLY hard to please. (Well, we're on a Guns N' Roses forum!)

How you can state that James Hetfield "sounds bad" is beyond me.

Dude, I have all of Metallica's live DVD's and I can be understanding of studio touch ups, but on this it sounds really obvious and noticeably touched up. I can't say that about the other DVD's I have.
My complaint is not that they touched it up, but the shoddy "cut and paste" job they did of it.

And James voice has been bad for a long time. That's not a dig, as much as a statement. He's lost most of the power in his voice and when he tries to go far out of his register it cracks quite allot.

metallex78 wrote:

And James voice has been bad for a long time. That's not a dig, as much as a statement.

I know that he isn't as good as he used to be when he was in his prime (1989-1993) and I also know as any reasonable person would that he'll NEVER reach those levels again but he hasn't sounded this good in fifteen years.

That same thing goes for Metallica in general.

To say that he sounds bad here is not a statement. That's a lie.

And that's not even taking into consideration that there's been nearly thirty years of almost consistent touring by this band.

People are in serious need to lower their standards a fair bit and stop comparing the present to the past.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:

He sounded good in 1995. Hell he was on great form on the Black Album tour. He steadily declined from 96-2000 and then nosedived on St Anger and is slowly clawing his way back.

But excusing bad vocals isn't good enough. Otherwise we shouldn't complain about the shittiness that is Vince Neil live or helium Axl.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

And James voice has been bad for a long time. That's not a dig, as much as a statement.

I know that he isn't as good as he used to be when he was in his prime (1989-1993) and I also know as any reasonable person would that he'll NEVER reach those levels again but he hasn't sounded this good in fifteen years.

That same thing goes for Metallica in general.

To say that he sounds bad here is not a statement. That's a lie.

And that's not even taking into consideration that there's been nearly thirty years of almost consistent touring by this band.

People are in serious need to lower their standards a fair bit and stop comparing the present to the past.

I think you need to take a step back and let people be subjective about what they're hearing.

I know Metallica are a great band for how long they've been going for and all that, I wouldn't be a fan otherwise. I even reckon I'm one of the biggest Metallica fans on this board, but I'm not gonna sit here and say they sound great when they don't.

Anyway, I'll still get this DVD, the performances are still pretty damn good.

Board footer