You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: how are the shows selling this time around?

monkeychow wrote:

I must say it does sound like a lot of dates for one country with large shows.

I'd expect either a lot of smaller shows, or a handful of larger shows, and the lack of promotion, verification and exposure for the band probably isn't helping them do numbers.

Although I'm not sure I agree that GNR is really Club only material now, here in Oz they sold out an arena for 2 nights in my home town. But I'll grant that was a smaller tour overall.

As for bono calling for an end to this band and for this tour to fail to teach everyone a lesson, I don't think that is what would happen, if this tour fails, I don't think Axl will be calling Slash for a reunion, I think it's more likely we'd just go back to years of nothingness.

While I respect the love for the old band, and sometimes whistfully wonder what would have been, Axl's made it pretty clear that it's not going to happen. It's the new era of GNR music and players or death/nothing for him it seems, and even the most train wreck of failures wouldn't adjust that mindset IMO.

I think the real upsetting thing is isn't so much that we don't get a reunion, although I know that's key for some, but more that us fans would love more from the new band than we get. Like if new GNR was promoted properly all the time, if music and tours were more frequnent, we'd all be more willing to live with the loss of old GNR. But what seems to happen is a loss of everyuthing old - and a strange abortion of a new band - that has moments of absolute glory for fans (Axl on trunk, his sudden frankness in the chats, the leaks, the album eventually comming out) but a bitter aftertaste when the corporate end of things never materalises (no promo, no tab books, no confirmation on shows, silence for years on end). It's just very wierd.

But strange as it is. I know for sure that when Axl plays a show. It's going to killer, and I got to say again, I'm really keen to see DJ+ Bumble rip up these tracks with the new band.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

CD was 3 times platinum in Canada. It means they sold at least 240,000 albums. Considering that it's the downloading era and people tend to 'steal' the music, but can't 'steal' a live show, I expected a lot of Canadian dates. The manegement made a rational decision, although they were too ambitious and risked: thought the success in Canada can help their (planned) US tour. Some venues are just too big for this GN'R. In the end if they fail, then the US plans can easily 'change' or get nixed.

Just my 2 cents.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this.  But if Axl really wanted to go on tour he should've done so as an opening band for a major touring act.

gnfnraxl wrote:

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this.  But if Axl really wanted to go on tour he should've done so as an opening band for a major touring act.

RAAAGE!

And who really gives a shit about how the shows are selling? I know I don't.

If they aren't that's not my problem nor concern.

It doesn't matter if there are 30 or 30,000 people in the crowd as long as it'll be a good show. Which is indeed what I'm hoping for in the end.

Oh, well...

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Surely if they are not selling enough tickets the tour could get pulled though? That would concern me cause I might not get to see a show.

But theres still time for them to start promotion and generate a buzz around the tour, its premature to label it a failure.
Get some singles out, make a website with lots of different types of media, do some press that doesnt revolve around finding colourful ways to bash Slash. Its not rocket science, I would have thought with the way the monumental album promotional campaign was recieved they might have realised that a fresher, more proactive style of campaign, would be just ever so slightly more effective.

I blame Azoff as well for a lot of shit, he gets an easy ride as if he is some all conquering hero cause the album came out, but I lost respect for him and his crew when that first draft album artwork was released to the public. If its not his, or one of his delegates, responsibility to be paying attention to small details like that, I dunno what is.

But isnt he some kind of concert mogul .i.e Mr Ticketmaster?? Surely he will want to pull out all the stops to make it as successful a tour as possible?

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
madagas wrote:

well, I think that is a bit extreme but Bono is right about one thing, the large arenas are just stupid. The small arena thing (10,000 and under) is alright if properly spaced. I honestly don't understand what the promoters and Azoff are thinking. You guys blame Axl, I blame the idiot promoters and managers who think this is the right thing to do. On top of that, the fucking band refuses to do any press, refuses to at least try and release another single. It is just unbelievably ignorant. 17

To me it seems like all parties involved cant come to terms with the fact it isn't 1991 anymore, to the point where they're willing to hear echoes in these venues and risk implosion.

A pattern was established LONG ago with new GNR. If its not a major city, you're not even gonna come close to a sellout. Expectations need to change. Its time to bring GNR down to the club level because that's where they belong.

Hit arenas in cities like LA, NY, Toronto, Tokyo, London,etc., and the rest nothing but clubs. That is the reality of Guns N Roses in 2009-10. An arena booking every five miles in Canada just isn't feasible, and they really aren't gonna pull that off here.

I also agree that Axl isn't the only person to blame. Having said that, he should know before one date gets booked that he cant sell out a ten thousand seat venue out in the boonies in Canada. Thirteen dates in Canada is really stretching the interest thin.

I would really love to know who plans their tours. This Canadian leg reminds me of the central Cali shows that were postponed and then canceled due to no interest. They had four shows scheduled within an 80 mile radius in the same week(ALL arenas) not counting the recent Frisco dates. That should have been narrowed down to one show and it might have been half full. I'll never forget how a mere days before cancellation you could still get tickets in the front, and tickets had been on sale for like five months at that point.

Like Bono said, this doesn't happen with the "big boys".

Time to bring this show to the clubs....this band can have success at the club level and its NOTHING to be ashamed of.

Not clubs...that is too small. Theatres...2000-5000 seat theatres like Hammerstein or The Warfield or The Tabernacle or Fox Theatre here in Atlanta or Wiltern in LA.

James, when you say clubs I think 250 people. That is a bit small.:peace:

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Mabye theres not enough 5000 seat max venues ideally located, so they have to book larger venues in certain areas cause they are they only ones with suitable facilities and infrastructure for a gnr concert?

I dont think the tour plans are too unrealistic, they played 9 shows in succession in the UK in 2006, plus 3 more a few months earlier, and the UK is tiny.
They just need to promote the hell out the Canadian tour and actually encourage people to want to attend, encourage them to believe that going to see GNR will be a great night out, get the best material on CD out there on  radio, TV and online and get themselves out there praising the new material and talking about how great a tour its going to be!

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Nobody knows about the shows, nobody is promoting them, nobody bought Cd, nobody cares about this band other than Axl, and to be honest, very, very few care about him.  That's not the recipe for a successful tour, especially when it's the third or fourth tour for the same album with diminshing returns each tour.

Actually over three million people bought Chin...

Oh, wait.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:

Actually over three million people bought Chin...

Oh, wait.

Want to make a bet on that?  How many people do you know that bought multiple copies?  Exactly.  Thank you for playing.

Board footer