You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: how are the shows selling this time around?

Axl S wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:

Actually over three million people bought Chin...

Oh, wait.

Want to make a bet on that?  How many people do you know that bought multiple copies?  Exactly.  Thank you for playing.

Uhmm I think Handsome was already making the point that the sales of the album mean jack shit. 16

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Well I'm willing to bet millions didnt buy multiple albums, more like a few hundred forum nuts.

buzzsaw wrote:

Thank you for playing.

Well, duh.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Well I'm willing to bet millions didnt buy multiple albums, more like a few hundred forum nuts.

Yeah people give the forums WAY too much credit.  I find it extremely hard to believe WE bought all 3 million copies, not even close.  But nice try.

I agree this trek through Canada wasn't quite what I expected.  I figured less shows, limited to major cities, and if not that, smaller venues. 

But I'd have to think whoever planned this tour didn't just expect sellouts across the board in a matter of minutes.  They had to know this was going to happen.  They must know they can still make a profit, regardless of the amount of empty seats.  Azoff just had to look at previous tours.  It's not like all of a sudden people are going to flock in droves to see this band.  Axl and the band have done little to no promotion.  No more singles, videos, interviews, promotion for the album.  Unless some of those things plan to change SOON, why would they think they're be such a huge demand.

I just have to think they knew what they were getting into, and were fine with that.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

how many major cities do you think we have up here? two? 16 .... it is all major cities

BC, North West Territories and some smaller ones in the Martimes have been excluded

Vancouver, BC (2.4 million), Victoria, BC (369,000), Fredericton, NB (87,000) St. John's, Nfld (185,000) Yellowknife, NWT (20,000), Iqaluit, Nunavut (7800), Charlottetown, PEI (135,000), Whitehorse, YK (23,000)

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this.  But if Axl really wanted to go on tour he should've done so as an opening band for a major touring act.

U2 is doing 12 stadium dates in North America between June 6th and July 19th.  Axl, Azoff and Co. should've begged and pleaded and done everything in their power to get on as the open act for those 12 dates.  Gn'R would play to more people than they could ever dream of playing to on this arena tour in Canada they have scheduled.  Gn'R would be the opening band but they are still a big enough name in North America that had people known they were opening you'd have those stadiums 80 -90% full for the opening band. Pretty sweet scenario for Gn'R. Plus Axl checking the ego at the door and being an opening act would change alot of people's perception of him assuming he could behave and do the 12 dates and not throw tantrums or pull no shows.   This would be the ultimate scenario for this band right now as far as how they're perceived  in North America. Plus it would expose new Gn'R to a shit load of people who other wise have written them off because of no Slash.  Also Axl has sad in the past he was a big U2 fan.  Oh and the lasting impact it might have on Gn'R as a far as their business sense goes could be immeasurable. They could learn alot from U2 on those 12 dates. Sad part is I highly doubt U2 would ever go for it.  They don't need Gn'R and they definately don't need the drama that could possibly come with Axl.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

When I used to help with booking at a 2000 seat music hall, we used to have to take acts that were coming through in order to get access to the bigger, better acts from the same promoter.

For example, we had to take Scatterbrain, right after the "Hey Dude, don't call me Dude!"  was getting heavy play on Headbanger's Ball.  We had a crowd, that was literally in the tens.

Two months later we were given access to more sellable acts (at the time, at the time!), like Slaughter and White Lion.

I hate to say this, but is there a more marketable act that Azoff has going  through Canada soon?  I can't see any other reason for the amount of shows in some of these arenas.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Is there a less marketable act anywhere?  Certainly not one that was ever as marketable as GnR was.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Come on Buzz, you're not still claiming that the few couple thousand forum members are soley responsible for the 3 million copies sold are you? You can't want to deny them any success that much, do you? No! Surely not!

misterID wrote:

No! Surely not!

7y4zud2.gif

Board footer