You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

Re: Musical Instruments Thread

TheMole wrote:
Neemo wrote:

scales is one thing i have never really practiced...should i learn a couple? what are your recomendations for the ones to learn? i'm asuming blues scale is one...is there another? or 2?

Scales is one thing, but more important than raw scales are boxes. Start with pentatonic (yeah, the "blues" scale), it has 5 boxes you can interconnect for some nice riffing and soloing (nice overview here: http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_les … patterns/). Besides that one, I'd recommend the major (or ionian, you know, CDEFGABC) and minor (or aeolian, ABCDEFGA) as your next two. If you have those three, you're basically covering rock, blues, pop, Spanish, gypsy, country, etc... for 95%

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Yeah I agree for sure.

If you havn't solo'd before the best place to start is with the pentatonics. Then maybe move onto the modes and latter on introduce some of the other more unusual ones.

Scales tend to involve a lot of theory in order to utalise them well. Which is an area I don't go, i'm more of a by-ear player - I'll try a few and use one I think works in a song. But it's important I think to start with scales you can use in a song easily....otherwise it becomes sort of an independant study to your other guitar activities and it's frustrating.

Kind of like how if you wanted to go to france and learn french, the best way to start would be in learning key phrases you are likely to use, asking directions, introducing yourself, buying food. Rather than beginning by reading french philosophy or an arthouse novel. As important and valid as those are, if you don't understand the basics first you're going to be translating them as a hobby aside from your french holiday!

Anyway...so yeah pentatonic scales are a great way to start. And get some backing tracks and then you can practise them in all different keys and work on making little solos from them and stuff. (Also a way to learn a lot of technique...like do the same lick except with a slide, or with a bend not a reach, or add some vibrato and so on).

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:

And if you want to learn some David Gilmour leads, learn the Bm scale!

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

welcome back dr love smile

is that the scale he uses? floyd has some realyl cool stuff and its not really that hard to play surprisingly

i like playing wish you were hear, its pretty fun, i can do the solos and everything for that tune 22

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Wanna have a cover song contest??

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:

It's on.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Cool, me too. I think?!  I'd need about a month to really prctice then record the song. I think we're all quite busy now & then but that would give us time. Maybe an April 15th deadline.

We can put the songs onto youtube. If anyone can't or doesn't really want to put the song to video they can email it to me as a WAV or Mpeg & I can place it along with video.  Others please post if you'd like in or be interested in it. If enough people are we'll start a new thread.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer